UFO Problem

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm gonna plead ignorance on that, a 12 volt hot in the box is not something I've ever seen before, and electrical, while I can work it, is not my forte, so i will defer in advance to HDR and others, except to say that taping off unknown dangling wires is never a bad idea in my experience

If you do not have a volt meter or test light you can use any small automotive 12v bulb for a test light.  Just touch the pointy end to the wire in question and the cylindrical base of the bulb to ground.  If it lights up you have a live 12v positive wire.

I would not be surprised if it was to power a dome light in the back of the truck and set up to turn on when the headlight switch is cranked over all the way to light up the dome light in the cab.

I don't believe that a wire back there, for some kind of auxiliary circuit, could affect the engine.

Anyway, ideally, if it grounded out, it would blow a fuse and no longer be hot after that.

Sometimes when trucks back up to a loading dock it shuts off the daylight. So they mount a 12 volt light at the rear of the box to shine inside of the box.

DannyB1954 said:
Sometimes when trucks back up to a loading dock it shuts off the daylight. So they mount a 12 volt light at the rear of the box to shine inside of the box.

There might be it. There's no obvious fixture anywhere, except an old metal bracket that no longer has anything in it.

Tom