Txjbird & Queenie on a Safari in a Safari

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BobBski said:
Wishing all the best to ya:) 

Thank You.  

I seem to make so little progress at times on getting the Safari and Aliner ready to roll that I'm ashamed to even have a  "Captains Log".  Does going to the mechanics shop and for tires and bearings count as a Safari?

I'm thinking of starting a thread called "S.O.S.....D.D.  A place to vent when it seems like we are just spinning our wheels.

I'm taking a diet Pepsi break for a few minutes.  Then I'm parking the Safari right across the sidewalk and load it up.
Thankfully I have 2 good neighbor ladies and we watch out for each other.  Both are a little hard of hearing and say my movies and music don't disturb them in the middle of the night.  In the daytime theirs doesn't bother me.  

Queenie watches out for strangers.  She knows who lives where and who are regular visitors on each side of us.  She raises a real ruckus when someone unknown shows up. Funny isn't it how leary some folks are of little dogs? 

Due to one incident I've started warning some people here very firmly,  "Do you see her teeth and hear her growling?  Step back cuz if she doesn't bite you I will".  The first time I said that was when one neighbor actually bumped me on the sidewalk.  I was asking him to stop while I was reeling in Q who was growling and raising heck and trying to keep my Moms' shitzu out of the way at the same time.

I enjoy you're pics of your travels.  Are your girls as sweet as they look or is either a "early warning sytem like Queenie"?

Back to work at least one neighbor is up and cooking breakfast.  I'm gonna boil some eggs.

Safe Travels To You

Jewellann and Q, who is also up and wanting out.

Was thinking of you when I got up this morning, Jewellann, and hoping your inspection was over and done with. I feel for you, those inspectors can be very dehumanizing, it's such a feeling of violation to have strangers tromping through your home anytime they please.

Here's hoping you just say f' it very soon and take off.

Good Luck with the crap patrol :p and ,,,,,,,yeah ,happy trails.. someday !
Queenie , you know what to do . :dodgy:

I was only up for a while. Max was making me pay for going to Denver and leaving him here. He is well cared for but that doesn't mean he doesn't get his time with daddy no matter how late it is. Bedtime? No, you still owe me two walks and he will collect if it is 2 AM.

He only slightly injured the eye by stomping on it. The eye heals itself in 24 hours normally, the injury was a week ago, the protective lens has been in there 72 hours and the eye was only 90% healed. I had her put the lens back in for good measure even though it means another trip to Denver. Luckily there is no scaring so far.

And you thought you had it rough with Queenie. lol

:s   I have come to some conclusions today

*LIKE OFFICER MURTAUGH........I'M TO OLD FOR THIS SHIT*   LOMITOFTS

The arthritis in my spine I was diagnosed with in 2010 was not a joke

*LOMITOFTS*

I vow not to subject myself to another Hud Home Invasion

*LOMITOFTS*  

I THINK THE ALINER WILL HAVE TO FIND A NEW HOME.  It took my sis and I over 30min to get it level and set up this              a.m.

*LOMITOFTS*

The AACFCU  [credit union] will only allow me $6,000 total credit if I trade it in.  I doubt I can find what I need for that.  I'll have to use a RV dealership that will pay off the Aliner and also pay some towards a downpayment.

*LOMITOFTS*

LIFE SUCKS.....THEN  YOU DIE.

JEWELLANN AND QUEENIE

I spent the weekend at a campground north of KC. It was a good 3 1\2 hour drive and it kicked my butt! Then... after my back and wrists and ankles and feet relaxed, I had to climb in and out of the van a thousand times.... Ugh, I'm still paying for it and hoping like hell I will eventually be able to do this!!

Like Jewellann likes to say... ITOFTS

:p

Jewellann and Queenie,

I've been a little down also lately and I don't have to deal with those inspections.  It has rained so much here also.  Dang skeeters go into assault mode by 5 pm and many days all day.  Pretty bad when its 90 degrees with heat index by 10 am and 75% humidity.  I know,  that would be winter time down where you're at. lol

Wanted to give you something to think about.  I too have health problems that make me wonder some days if I will able to do some of the things I want and need to do but most of the time in a day or two that changes.  I saw in your last post that you're so frustrated that you are thinking about getting rid of the Aliner.  Urge you to think three times.  You have much time and energy devoted in that project.  I googled on easier method to set up Aliner.  Unfortunately not much success.  But I think almost anywhere you go you could get a hand.  That is if Queenie doesn't bite em. :p 
Of course you know your own health better than anyone.

I know the heat and humidity has affected me this summer.

take care and say ruff to Queenie :D 

George

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the aliner. I know at times setting up and taking down the trailer is so overwhelming that I have to break it down into multiple days to keep me from needing days to recover. For two months I never unhitched it from the truck at all. It was a pain hauling it everywhere I went but it felt like having a motor home, pack it up inside and go.

Damn, Jewellann, that just sucks. Makes you wonder when/if it ever gets easier.

I wish I had a solution for you.  

I am in the middle of a crazy situation myself.  I have to get my daughter moved to N~CA.

I'm wondering if anyone ever drove one while still set up ????

If that's not an option , I'll second the suggestion that you probably could get help wherever you go as long as it isn't so far from people that you're totally alone.
(Just keep an extra 6pack for rewards !)

Finally , maybe someone here would be interested in trading or buying it.

I was up and working all night.  My breaks were either here with you guys or on CL looking for something/a different place  to live.  I had the van across the sidewalk and as soon as I had several things to load Q and I would go outside.  I felt like a sitting duck!  I know some folks may be wondering "] QUEEN said:
Good Luck with the crap patrol  :p  and ,,,,,,,yeah ,happy trails.. someday !
Queenie , you know what to do . 

I'M GONNA HAVE TO WATCH HER. SHE SEEMS TO READ MY MIND AT TIMES
   TJB

jimindenver said:
I'M SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR EYE.  IS THIS THE ONE YOU HAD TO WAIT SO LONG BEFORE YOU COULD GET IT FIXED?  MAYBE YOU SHOULD SLEEP IN A CATCHERS' MASK?   :huh:

GOOD THING HE ISNT A GREAT DANE!

TJB

AbuelaLoca said:
A FEW YRS. AGO I WAS ABLE TO CLIMB IN AND OUT OF THE RANGERS BED.......UNTIL I NEARY FELL OUT BACKWARDS!
THEN I STARTED USING A STEP LADDER AND LIKE TO FELL OFF THE TAILGATE.  WHEN I FIRST GOT THIS SAFARI I NEEDED BOTH HANDS TO OPEN THE DOORS...THEY ARE HEAVY.   AFTER SOME PB BLASTER ON HINGES/LOCKS IT WAS A LITTE BETTER.  NOW 7MOS LATER I CAN USUALLY OPEN THEM ONE HANDED.  NOW IT'S THE "CATCH IN MY GET-A-LONG {LEFT HIP} THAT'S CAUSING PROBLEMS.  MAYBE AFTER YOU GET USED TO THE IN'S & OUTS OF THE VAN IT WON'T HURT SO MUCH.
LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE.......YOU ARE GOING PLACES :D

TJB

I spent the weekend at a campground north of KC. It was a good 3 1\2 hour drive and it kicked my butt! Then... after my back and wrists and ankles and feet relaxed, I had to climb in and out of the van a thousand times.... Ugh, I'm still paying for it and hoping like hell I will eventually be able  to do this!!

Like Jewellann likes to say... ITOFTS

gapper2Jewellann and Queenie said:
GAPPER,
TO ME BEING DOWN IN THE DUMPS IS A  P.I.T.A.   :(  I JUST MOPE AROUND...SAD ANGRY........WATERWORKS...I GOTS THINGS TO DO :D
TODAY BEFORE NOON THE HEAT INDEX WAS OVER 100. WHAT'S WINTER LIKE WHERE YOU ARE? I'VE BEEN OUT AT  -51 IN SD WHEN I LIVED THERE.

YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT THE ALINER.  I HAVE DONE A LOT TO IT AND HAVEN'T SPENT ONE NIGHT IN IT,  AS SOON AS THE WIRING IS DONE I INTEND TO TAKE Q AND AND GO SOMEWHERE WITH IT.  MAYBE I NEED A BETTER SPOT.  MY SIS SUGGESTED I GET A PAIR OF LOAD LEVELERS.  IT NEEDS TO BE LEVEL FOR ALL THE ROOF AND SIDE PIECES TO FIT SO THEY CAN BE LOCKED TOGETHR.  I'VE SET IT UP AT A FRIEND'S AND AT A DEALERSHIP WITOUT TOO MUCH EFFORT.  THE DEALER WHERE I BOUGHT IT HAS OFFERED ME 2 DAYS FREE AT HIS CAMPGROUND IN FL,  IT'S LESS THAN 100 MILES FROM ME.  THE SALESMAN ALSO LIVES THERE, I'LL CHECK AND SEE IF HE WILL MIND BEING MY BACKUP.
 I'M JUST AGGRAVATED AT LIFE RIGHT NOW.

TJB

But I think almost anywhere you go you could get a hand.  That is if Queenie doesn't bite em. :p 
I know the heat and humidity has affected me this summer. Take care and say ruff to Queenie

George

jimindenver said:
CONSIDERING YOUR BACK I HAVE BEEN AMAZED THAT YOU GET ALL THE STUFF YOU DO TO SET UP DONE.
IF I CONTINUE TO HAVE TROUBLE SETTING THE ALINER UP I'LL HAVE TO TRADE FOR SOMETHING ELSE.  ALL I NEED IS A HIP REPLACEMENT....I DON'T HAVE TIME TO LAY AROUND...I GOTS THINGS TO DO  :D

WOULDNT YOU KNOW JUST YESTERDAY A 2004  16FT SCAMP FOR $2,500 IS FOR SALE LESS THAN 100 MILES FROM ME! PHOOEY!

I KNOW YOU'VE DONE A LOT TO YOUR TRAILER TO GET IT SET UP LIKE YOU WANT.  DO YOU THINK YOU MAY NEED A TOY HAULER AND A FOUR WHEELER OR A  MINI CAR........HEY A :D BUMPER CAR...I AIN'T RIGHT YOU KNOW????

TJB

GotSmart said:
THANKS

BOY THAT IS A LONG WAY TO MOVE!  DOES SHE HAVE A LOT OF FURNITURE TO TAKE WITH?  I HOPE YOU GET THINGS FIGURED OUT O.K.  I'D OFFER MY HELP,  HOWEVER I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING I COULD DO. ARE YOU THINKING U HAUL OR WHAT?

TJB

rvpopeye said:
:p  GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!  I THOUGHT OF THAT TODAY! REALLY!  I THEN DECIDED..... TOO MUCH WIND RESISTENCE
I'm wondering if anyone ever drove one while still set up ????

THE DEALER SAID THAT PEOPLE WOULD HELP ALSO.  I JUST HATE NOT BEING ABLE TO DO THINGS FOR MYSELF.  EVEN BEFORE THIS I HAD DECIDED TO RIG OUT THE SAFARI AS A CAMPER.  THAT WAY I WOULDN'T NEED TO SET THE TRAILER UP FOR A OVERNIGHTER.  TODAY I WAS EVEN THINKING OF ADDING TO THE SUSPENSION ON THE SAFARI AND GETTING A GOOD CARGO CARRIER.  I WOULD SAY I DON'T NEED A TRAILER HOWEVER I DON'T THINK I'D BE HAPPY NOT BEING ABLE TO SEW/READ/CROCHET/COOK/MAKE JEWELRY/PICK UP ODDS AND ENDS FOR PROJECTS/STAND UP STRAIGHT PLUS CLIMATE CONTROL FOR MYSELF AND THE Q AND MY MEDS.  I MAY TRY IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

SHOULD I BUY DIET COKE, DP, PEPSI, FALSTAFF, LONE STAR, CORONA, COLT 45, MD 20/20,4 ROSES......WHAT?

If that's not an option , I'll second the suggestion that you probably could get help wherever you go as long as it isn't so far from people that you're totally alone.
(Just keep an extra 6pack for rewards !)

I HOPE IF DO SELL/TRADE IT THAT SOMEONE HERE WOULD WANT IT.....IT'S LIKE SELLING A DREAM OF MINE.  I SHOULD HAVE DONE AS I HAD PLANED TO AND HIT THE ROAD  6YRS AGO........I LET THE "WHAT IF'S" GET TO ME. ...NOW I FEEL LIKE    "WHAT IF....GO TO HELL"       
I'M A BAD BAD WOMAN :p

Finally , maybe someone here would be interested in trading or buying it.

TJB

:D In case anyone's wondering the apt. passed!  The HUD inspector had been here before and knows that I don't have a conventionally furnished home.  I knew it was clean enough and neat enough and also compliant with HUD standards when he got here on Thurs morning WITHOUT the property mgn.  She was the uknown factor as this was her first round of inspections.  Of course the van is packed to the top with clothes/ books/etc/empty totes and boxes.  Only things I'm keeping are coming back in.  The rest are going to the Mission Store.

On Thurs. Q and I went to bed for 18hrs........she must have been wore plumb out ;)

I've decided to keep the Aliner for now.  I intend to get some boards and have beveled edges cut on them to drive the wheels up on.  Also put boards under the outriggers....oops stabalizer's.........backhoe's and such have outrigger's? :D

I spoke to a guy, Tim at Columbus Camper Center in GA who handles Aliners and said that boards under everything when setting up should help.  They also discount new T.T.s  Now they have 2018 Gulfstream Amerlite Freesport 16ft bunkhouse for $7,500...MSRP is $17,800.  I like the floor plan.......front dinette/lg bed, rear 2 small bunks & and bathroom with a stand in tub/shower, has side mount AC, kitchen with 2 burner stove top, small frig, sink and microwave, awning.  Dry weight about 2,500, about twice the Aliners'

I have lifted too much and worried too much recently so I need to take it ez for a while.  I must semi-unload the Safari because hopefully the wiring will be done and if neccessary the rear raised another 2in to accomadate towing the Aliner sometime this week.  Q and I both need DRs appt.  She also needs a shave and a bath!

I did something on Thurs. that I've never done  before.   I lost the remotes to my TV and my bedroom AC.  They were last seen on the bed with Q.  Either she ate them or they were scooped up and stuck in a bag of clean linens or clothes and have been on vacation in the Safari.   Luckily the AC will work with the LR remote and I've been watching free movies on my tablet.  I need to figure out how to hook my tablet to my TV this 12in screen is killing me watching movies,  my TV will also work as a PC monitor, I've never tried it out.  Another 1st for me......I wonder how many I have left?

I hope all of you have a quiet peaceful week.  Also Thank You for your words of support and  just being there for us.  Cammalu I got my Sticking Badge......Thanks!

Jewellann and Q who is sleeping now........HEY WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?    SHE NO SLEEPIN' NOW :angel:

Glad you passed the inspection!
That sounds like a good deal on the new camper.
Giving the Aliner a second try is still cheaper though.
My experience in the RVing world is that help is
usually there when you need it.
Think of it as a giant version of the tribe here.

rvpopeye said:
Glad you passed the inspection!
That sounds like a good deal on the new camper.
Giving the Aliner a second try is still cheaper though.
My experience in the RVing world is that help is
usually there when you need it.
Think of it as a giant version of the tribe here.

:p Are you sure you can't do this?  I thought with your high position in YARC you could do just about anything?  :p
The Gulfstream Freesport comes in several sizes.  The 19ft looks like a perfect size to me. A couch/bed across the front & a dinnette that could be used for guests, the bathroom is larger too.

A friend is going to cut some boards and bevel the edges to put under the Aliner wheels and some also for all outriggers.  I'm also looking at adding a elec. tongue jack or at least putting on the new crank up one that I bought for the Viking and never took out of the box.

Power Ball is $700 million?  Trip to FL time as AL doesn't do Lottery.  FL = only 20mls.

When does it start cooling off where you are?

Jewellann

No , but I can SAY just about anything. :p
Does that count?

They recently almost doubled the odds on the PB.
The prize gets bigger before it's won but the lotto makes much more
on the people that see the prize and keep buying more tickets !

Those trailers sound nice , but you're the one that has to decide if you want to pay for it....
(That money can be used to pay a lot of someone's to set it up if you can't find a volunteer .. "Hey wanna make 5 bucks for 10 minutes work helping out a helpless 'ol Texan????"...."I'll hold the dog!") ;)

Jewellann

It is a Ameri-lite that I drag all over hell and back. I have no issues with suggesting them to anyone. I think that little bunk house would give you lots of storage and 2500 pounds is pretty light. Get a good trade in on the aliner and a decent interest rate and it may cost less than you think. I can say that most of the time there are people around me willing to help with moving the water bottles and propane tanks or at least threaten to beat me if they see me lifting them again. I can't depend on them being there because at times I am running solo and Max simply refuses to help. (Queenie has not been a good influence on him)

TJB,
  Good for you on the inspection.  Lately I've been considering something along JiminDenver's suggestion of an Ameri-Lite bunkhouse cause I'm so dang slow on my TV buildout,  I'm afraid there might be another solar eclipse before I get on the road.

"WHAT'S WINTER LIKE WHERE YOU ARE? I'VE BEEN OUT AT  -51 IN SD WHEN I LIVED THERE."

I'm glad you asked that question.  The short answer is close to what yours is.

Buuut you got me to remembering my youth.  When I was a young immature soldier in the army I had the good fortune to be stationed in Delta Junction Alaska.  My job was as a meteorological equipment repairman with a small team. (mouthful huh?) 35D30  My duties were to repair, calibrate and test weather equipment.  The lowest temp that I remember was -59F.  But I do remember > -80F with windchill.  Military wouldn't let us out of the building during those times.  One day I was checking the calib. of a remote site.  As I remember, I think the temp was around -25F and the wind was howling.  This immature E4 got an idea for an experiment. :D 

DISCLAIMER:  NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN ANY WAY DURING THIS EXPERIMENT.  ALL MILITARY EQUIPMENT SHOWED NO SIGNS OF ABUSE AND PROPER EYEWARE WAS WORN AT ALL TIMES.  THIS EXPERIMENT WAS NOT APPROVED BY ANY HIGHER RANKING MILITARY OFFICIAL OVER THE RANK OF E4.

The experiment.  Since I had to tinkle out in the field, I thought to myself, will tinkle matter freeze before it hits the ground in such a hostile environment?  I had to know!  This was science!

Well the matter did not freeze in mid-air flight,  but within seconds it was frozen! Science!

I saw a recent youtube video where an induvidual through up a cup of warm water in a similar experiment and it turned to ice crystals before hitting the ground.  I know it must be true,  it was on youtube.

Hmmm,  I wonder what a cup of tinkle matter would do in those temps?  Advice.  If attempting such an experiment don't, I repeat DON'T throw up in a strong headwind and DON'T EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW !! :D 

gapper

Forgot the temp question TJB.
Today is our last "hot" day for a while...81*
For the next week mid to low 70s with 50s at night.......

That cold stuff like in the last post ^ will be here sooner than I care to think about.
but it doesn't usually get too bad till after Christmas. ;)