Txjbird & Queenie on a Safari in a Safari

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) I think Q and I are rested, mostly.  I'd not given her a clipping and a bath in too long.  I talk to her like she is a person.  So I mentioned that she was gonna get a hair cut and a bath.  Then I couldn't find her when it was time for them.  I called and called, even looked outside to see if I'd fogotten and left her out on her long leash.....Nope no Q!   I did see a twitching taking place under the dust ruffle on the bed......TA DA........There's Queenie   :mad: She was not a happy camper at all.  She is my 3rd Chihuahua and the only one that I have ever had to shave.  Her coat is so thick that this time I had to clip her and then go back with a shorter guide on the clippers for a 2nd cut.  If I had been feeling better I'd have clipped her without the guards.  My hands and back just wasn't up to the task.  Then "WE" had a flea bath.  Sometimes it seems like I have more suds on me than she does  :D

I've been checking out those Gulfstream Amerlite Kingsports and the Columbus Camper Center in GA seems to have the best deals.  They have an afilliate sharing the same web site and in Opelika AL the 16ft. is $3,000 more for the same model.  I may run over to GA after the 4th and take a look at them.  The AC in the Safari is on the fritz and it will be next week sometime before I can get it in the shop.

I know I'm on the mend because I danced in the kitchen while I cooked Salmon croquettes like Mama made them... Salmon+onion+celery+eggs+lemon juice+finely crushed saltines as a binder.  Then cornmeal with garlic powder and celery salt in a seperate bowl.   Sprinkle meal in 1 hand.... put shaped patty on meal then cover with meal & gently press meal into patty while lightly turning it between your hands.  Fry in oil in black iron skillet 'til as brown as you like 'em. I cooked 3 lg. skillets full.   Also cooked creamed english peas with onions.  I just wasn't up to homemade hush puppies today.  It got pretty warm in the kitchen!

Ya'll haven't seen my remotes for the AC and TV?  I'm pretty sure either Q hid them, ate them, or I snatched them up and they ended up in the van in a sack or box of something.  So it's movies on You Tube and thankfully the AC remote for the living room also works in the bed room.

Monday it's Eye DR day.....hopefully I can continue to put off my eye surgery for a while longer.  I need to start on B12 shots again and need a bone density test also.  I wonder how I ever worked, went to school, and kept up with a house and family at the same time..........Now I remember.....I WAS YOUNGER!   Also not "TORE UP FROM THE FLOOR UP" as a coworker used to say.

Back to the tube :p

TJB and Q

Txjb,
   I had a chow many years ago. Actually it was my mothers and it took three people to hold her to hoid her down and shave her.   I know they know what your saying to them.  When it was time for her morning pills she would throw a tantrum. :-/

Oooooooh,  salmon croquettes, grew up on those.  Yours sound delicious ours were more simple, great snack food, but usually they were gone pretty quick.   :D

End of season prices should be coming up mid to late sept. On those trailers.  There is only one dealer in Atlanta.  Hate going there.  Too Damn crowded.  But may visit,  I know how to laugh and walk away.   :D Sounded like JiminDenver got a good deal on his.

You and Queenie stay cool and safe.  Good luck.

gapper2 said:
Txjb,
   I had a chow many years ago. Actually it was my mothers and it took three people to hold her to hoid her down and shave her.   I know they know what your saying to them. 

End of season prices should be coming up mid to late sept. On those trailers.  There is only one dealer in Atlanta.  Hate going there.  Too Damn crowded. 

You and Queenie stay cool and safe.  Good luck.

:) Chows are cool dogs.  I've always liked them.  Years ago my best friend Frankie passed away and I inherited Angel, a 7lb 10yr old toy poodle.  While staying with Aunt Mary {now 94yrs & living in her own home} Angel got away from her when she came outside.  The next thing we knew there he goes up the street barking at the biggest Chow I'd ever seen.  The Chow was in a hurry and showed no interest in Angel......... he was going so fast Angel never caught up, even tho his little short legs were really churning away!

Those 16ft Gulfstream Kingsport TT went from $7,500 to $11,500.    Since my Safari has never towed anything I'm just sticking with it and the Aliner for now.  A inside shower would be nice, however I knew it didn't have one when I bought it so I'll just have to live without one for now.

How far is it from Columbus to ATL.?  Would it be a nice daytrip for you?  I've always liked to travel and also do what I call "out road running" just seeing whatever there is to see.  I'm always glad to get home and sleep in my own bed.

Jewellann

:) Not much new or accomplished on the Safari or Aliner.  I did get about 25% of the stuff I stuck in there prior to my last home invasion back out and sorted through and dealt with.

I do not have or need a "entertainment fund".  I do not have cable TV and I do not miss it.  Thanks to someone showing and helping me learn about what's available on the net I have Vudu and Popcorn Flix that I watch movies on at no charge. I check out movies at the library and the local mission store sell books for $6 a lg. brown bag full. I also have a great pawn shop nearby that sells DVDs for $1 and trades 2 for 1.

Part of my home entertainment system is Craigs List.  I like to see what's free...amazing what people will give away...there was a very nice 10ft wide parkmodel trailer in FL awhile back.  I always check for TTs and cargo trailers, camping stuff and building supplies.

A good friend has been struggling finacially.  Rent and elec. was $484mo.  SS is $900, no phone, no foodstamps, no vehicle to move with even if a place could be found.  Most places here are first and last months rent to get in plus what ever utilities need deposits.   I was cruising CL hoping that I could find something decent that they could move to. Hey I have a "Moving Van" right?  My friend is waiting for some funds owed that should cover a used pickup truck and small TT or cargo van.  In the here and now the month lasts longer than the money.  So last week I found a 30ft TT for $200mo and $100dep and that includes the lot rent.  We were thinking that this must be a total wreck.   :D We were wrong!  Yippee!  Not perfect but definately liveable.  Shade trees, concrete patio and a wooded area behind it.  We met the owner cash in hand and after seeing the inside it was a done deal!  Someone else called about it while we were standing in the yard and my friend was paying the owner.  My friend is so happy,  sez " do you know how much it means to me to have xtra $200 a mo. that I don't have to pay just for the roof over my head".  Well yes I do know, I've been there.  It took Fri. and Sat. to clean and move and shop for stuff.  The place is very quiet and you can sit in the yard at night with no road traffic and so far no "shots fired" like at my place.

I know I'll move when I need to.  My patience with everything else in my life that seems to be road blocks to getting the Safari and Aliner ready is wearing very thin.

At least the weather seems to be cooling down.  I'm going to sleep until I can't sleep no more on Monday,  Q already has a head start on me. :D  She has a new flufy bed pillow from Wal mart and I think she's in love

Have a good week everyone.

Jewellann and the Queen

Dang Jewellann, I think you should have taken that trailer.

Crap TJB !
You keep doing nice things like that and we might have to reconsider your "Stinkin' Badge" ......... ;)

Hey Lady, you wrote:

'I do not have or need a "entertainment fund". ~ yup, between all the forum, videos and Captain's logs, Craigs List~
...and dreaming of 'the day'... I'm thoroughly entertained!

Only weird thing is, once I'm on the road I won't have my 'puter' cuz I don't have a smart laptop unless I postpone the whole deal
just to buy a smarter phone/ laptop?... oyveh'... (slaps forehead)

keep on truckin there Lady, I'm with ya in spirit at least! Us mature hot chicks needs ta stick tagethers!

jimindenver said:
Dang Jewellann, I think you should have taken that trailer.

Jim I seriously thought about it.  However since the Safari is a unproven tow vehicle I thought I'd Stick with the Aliner for now since it's so light. They were nice little trailers with all the comforts of home.

I've even been thinking about a bigger van.  my reasoning is this. 

On the Aliner....I don't want to use the cooktop because it's about 3ft from the bed.......quick scrambled eggs would be OK...fried bacon and Q and I and the whole rig could become bear bait.  The frig is a PITA to get stuff out of......it's in the front street side corner right on the floor.  I still like the Aliner....it has a good vibe.

On the Safari........To small to live in.    Maybe a full size van and cargo carrier would work instead of Safari & Aliner?

Jewellann

p.s.  will send you pm on different matter soon

******************************************************************************************************************

rvpopeye said:
Crap TJB !
You keep doing nice things like that and we might have to reconsider your "Stinkin' Badge" ......... ;)
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                                  
  IF YOU KEEP SAYING THINGS LIKE THIS YOU'RE GONNA RUIN MY BAD REPUTATION :p

:D THANKS ANYWAYS

JEWELLANN

JustACarSoFar said:
Only weird thing is, once I'm on the road I won't have my 'puter' cuz I don't have a smart laptop unless I postpone the whole deal

Several mos. before 12-2015 I'd go to the library to poke around on the 'net. to see what there was to see.  One thing I was looking for was a way to build a camper on my '91 4x4 Ford Ranger.  I saw Bob Wells blog about how he built his camper on his Ford pickup, I'd even had a truck that looked just like his and I think they both were the same color even!

Then I found this site when my son moved here.  He had to set up my tablet and also do my membership here.  I was clueless about Wifi etc.   Now I'd rather do without a phone than not have the internet.  You've mentioned being on SSD and subsidized housing like me if I remember correctly.  You may be eligible for a free cell phone.  Down here Safe Link Wireless will give you a free phone and 500min. a month with talk/text/data and you can buy extra time very cheaply.  You can apply on line.  You get whatever phone is in the warehouse at shipping.. My friend got a Samsung smart phone and some have gotten small Trac phones....it's a toss of the dice for sure.

Are you going west to take you're family up on the truck & camper offer?  Something I had thought of before I got my current rig was to find a suitable vehicle for traveling and living in or out of and trying to find financing for it.  As you know many of us can afford rent or a vehicle payment not both.  I think it must be next to impossible to finance anything with either a new or no permanent address at all.  I'm thinking that if a person is down to the point of pack and go having gotten rid of everthing that's not needed  then have a vehicle financed & move into it and out of a rented home.  Timing is tricky on that.  There is a lady here way up north that I  think just did that a few months ago with a minivan.  I wonder how she is doing so I'm looking for her thread.

Good Luck

Jewellann

OK , sorry !
You're a total weirdo and just refuse to do anything "Right" !
There , is that better ? ;)

I just changed your membership to permanent musician status.
(now , you have to buy harmonica or a Kazoo or a comb with wax paper or make a drum ,,,
anything to qualify you for the musician's exemption.....)
So stop worrying about your reputation already...
TWOhs

P.S. We will of course need a pic of Queenie on her new pillow !

rvpopeye said:
OK , sorry !
You're a total weirdo and just refuse to do anything "Right" !
There , is that better ? ;)

I just changed your membership to permanent musician status.
(now , you have to buy harmonica or a Kazoo or a comb with wax paper or make a drum ,,,
anything to qualify you for the musician's exemption.....)
So stop worrying about your reputation already...
TWOhs

P.S. We will of course need a pic of Queenie on her new pillow !

Capn Crunched, Accidental Discharge is like She Who Must Be Obeyed.  

Thou Shalt Not Anger Or Threaten.   :s

She can do the Texas Yodel, and plays the Smith and Wesson.   :D

The yodel qualifies you nicely !
Smith and Wesson ,,,,,,,,,,
I'm thinkin' that must fall in the category of an orchestra instrument ...possibly percussion.

Txjaybird said:
  Are you going west to take you're family up on the truck & camper offer?  
wrong timing for the camper/mountain venture. Sis is coming back here to camp in fall colors end of the month, can't blame her!
We'd bypass each other..so.. BUT, not giving up in looking to her help later on. Her Hubby takes that truck to Quartsite each year for the
gem' exhibits..  I'll be planning/conniving to see about working that in somehow.  :p

As for phone, yup I have the same deal you mentioned. cheapo phone though, hadn't upgraded yet. That leads to more questions
about .. what internet stuff they offer, man.. so much to learn all at once, gotta be patient I do I do!

thanks fur askin!

rvpopeye said:
The yodel qualifies you nicely !
Smith and Wesson ,,,,,,,,,,
I'm thinkin' that must fall in the category of an orchestra instrument ...possibly percussion.

My favorite percussion instrument {'cuz it was all I had}  was Papas' old 5 shot Iver Johnson 38 revolver.  Actually it was a 4 shot due to a warped chamber.  A person had to be careful loading it.   I ran off a would be home invader when I was 16  with no shots fired.  It took warning shots when I was 19 to convince the fella that walked out of our home with something that did not belong to him he might outta just drop it on the lawn.  The funny part of that was the guy that brought him to the house was yellin " Lady!........ Lady!   Whatever he did, puhleese don't shot holes in my new car!"

At least when I did my famous B B Butt shot I lowered the caliber somewhat :angel:

Jewellann

:) Some how between the rain, heat, family drama, and feeling like I've been rode hard and put away wet without even getting kissed in the bargain, I have managed to acually get a few things done.

My twin mattress in the Aliner found a new home where it was needed more, it was a good one but I think too heavy.  Managed to "unload" a lot of household items out of storage to a friend starting over.  

I have sharply curtailed my roadside shopping.  However some things call out to me as I drive by "Hey come see what I've got....it's a surprise....you're gonna like it.  Not the first time I've heard that line.  :D   I hit the Mother Lode a few days ago.  2 nice lamps, 8 lawn chairs of different styles, 3 various sized plastic drawer units full of clothes, 2 "thingys" {lap tables?} that you can use for reading or computers while sitting in bed, they have attached l.e.d.mini lamps & the tops are adjustable.  

I kept a lamp, the drawer sets and one armles folding canvas chair.  Everything else went to 3 neighbors, 1 friend, and a lady that works at a truck stop where I buy my gas.  The nicest thing was a flat screen TV with the remote and built in DVD player.  I offered this to my next door neighbor.  I didn't know the next day was her birthday.  I didn't even know if it worked.  It did and she said it was her best B'day present :D

I have always been a scrounger.  It started with soda pop bottles on the side of the road.  We got 3 cents each.  Hershey bars were 5cents, jaw breakers a penney. For 5O cents my Sis and I could get 2 hamburgers and 1 coke and 1 bag of Fritos to share.  30 cents and I could get 2 matching printed feed sacks and Mama would help me sew a new pair of shorts with a matching top.  A lot of my neighbors are on SSI.  My first SSDI checks were $680 back in 2004.  At times I'd not have the price of a loaf of bread. So I'm glad whenever I find something useable for free. If I don't need it I can always find someone else who can. 

Many years ago when I had my 1st home in SD my friend Marilyn told me she wasn't going to the town dump with her husband and I anymore.  It was embarrasing because "people" could see we often brought more out than we took in.  We had to contract for trash pickup or take it to the dump for free.

Friend Bob donated some 2x10 and 2x6 scrap wood to the cause and Builders Supply in Daleville AL at no charge cut 2 pieces of 2x10 with one end at 45 degree angle so I now have wood to drive the Aliner up on and also to place under the 4 outriggers.  I hope with these additions I will be able to get the Aliner as close to perfectly level as possible and this will make it easier for me to raise the roof and sides and connect them.  I was very upset when I needed help to both raise and lower it in the past few weeks. 

Hopefully the Safari will make 2 trips to the shop in the coming week and then it's a tranny cooler and maybe new shocks and Away We Go.........If there's any $$$$ left for gas :s :( :huh: :D

Hope everyone will have a good week and the storms have passed you by without harm.

Jewelland and THE QUEEN of The House

Not much progress happening here.  I have managed to pass along quite a bit more household items out of storage.  Progress on the Safari and Aliner seem to be dead in the water.

I'm still not feeling to well and now I've managed to mess up my neck somehow.  So it's either ER, freeze while I'm there, and the local hospital no longer allows private physicians access to patients.  All the DRs there are hosipital employees.  
Something about that just doesn't seem right.

Jewellann

Well I'm still moving.......very slowly and carefully when I do.

The weather today was great,  no AC on today!  We have a great weather report for several days and I fear I'll injure myself further if go out climbing in and out of the Safari or storage  unit draging and lifting on things.  I can't believe it....the first time in weeks not too hot and/or raining and here I sit.........phooey.

So MRI & bone density tests coming + other stuff.  Even when it's not raining crap just keeps pouring down on me :(

Have a good week everyone :)

Jewellann

So sorry you are hurting, but glad to hear you're on the mend, Jewellann!