Two 100w vs. 1 200w for RV use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklee

Reaction score
Newbie here. Any advantages/disadvantages for using one 200w LiFeP04 battery vs. two 100w batteries in an RV trailer setup? Thanks for any response and apologies if this is redundant.

I’m assuming you mean ah; amps/amp hours instead of w (watts)

Watts = Amps x Volts

Personally; in my van and formerly my truck; I have 2 100 amp LiFePo4. One is strictly a battery and the other the battery component of an Ecoflow Delta2 “power station”. I like being able to use them independently and move the Delta independently.

The don’t put all your amps (eggs) into one box (basket) filosofy. But that’s just me. Every1 lives differently especially those of us not smitten by subdivisions, condos & apartments.

If you like 1 200 amp bat and it’s workin 4 u whose any1 else to say. I strongly considered it for myself but ultimately went a different way.

INTJohn

There are those who have chosen to use two lead acid 6 volt Golf Cart batteries tied together in series to give 12 VDC. (remember, you wouldn't want to draw these down below 50% charge) With LiFePO4 batteries, it is best not to draw them down below 20%.

Do your research and calculate your cost benefit analysis after considering your electrical power needs budget. (how many electrical
devices will you be needing power for and for how long will they be in operation......then how long between recharges will you be looking at)

Benefits (according to them) the plates in the batteries are thicker and more durable for long life.

This is just a suggestion for your consideration.

You can read more about battery bank systems here:

Van Living battery discussions

Example of a 6 volt deep cycle Golf Cart Battery

Duracell

Newbie here. Any advantages/disadvantages for using one 200w LiFeP04 battery vs. two 100w batteries in an RV trailer setup? Thanks for any response and apologies if this is redundant.
What I see looking online is that 100ah cost half as much as 200ah, and you get an extra BMS, they can be used independently, and they are easier to move around. So I'm not seeing an advantage to the 200ah.

IMO it's best to think of batteries in terms energy storage, which is in the units of Watt-hours (Wh). A 24v 100ah battery stores the same amount of energy as a 12v 200ah battery, or a pair of 12v 100ah batteries wired in parallel or series... all 2400 Wh. Keep your charging and consumption in W and your math will be consistent.

Watts are energy/time, or power... multiply by time to get energy. Amps are current, which is neither power nor energy... but if you multiply by the voltage you'll get energy.