TT propane use

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodineahrens

Reaction score
Newbee ? On our TT I am in the habit of turning the propane & water heater on and off as needed. I see no reason to leave them on 24-7 ?? :huh:

I agree turn it off when not in use. I turn off the whole propane system when driving, You must have it off when refueling and on ferries and some tunnels. I always thought you had to have it off while driving but apparently that is not the case. seems kinda like asking for trouble to me but that's the way it is. highdesertranger

I turn my water heater off when not in use.

I turned on the water heater and the water pump only when it was going to be used. Its a remnant from when i was a boat person, but leaving flexible hoses under pressure 24/7 just seems to be asking for trouble.

For the same reason that i always used the tanks instead of city water when at an RV site. With my 45 gallons of fresh water, i knew that if i left the tap open by accident that my grey and/or blackwater tank (each 45 gallons) weren't gonna overflow.

My propane tank is open while camped. I cook way too often to be running out and turning it on and off every time I use the stove.

Water heater is on only when needed.

Sounds like a good practice to be in if it works for you. I leave mine on as my refrigerator is just two-way versus 3-way. Two-way: 110 volt/Propane. Three-way: 110 volt/12 volt/propane. Of course the newest nice technology are the affordable 12 volt compressor types so that makes turning off propane even nicer since it is not used to maintain a chill in the fridge.

If you're ever going to have a propane leak, it'll most likely be at connections to the appliances or in the appliances themselves, not at the tank. So it makes sense to me to turn off the tank between uses.

Latest posts