trying to decide about devices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodiG

Reaction score
Getting ready to camp 6-7 months of year when I retire in a year. Not very knowledgeable about mobile digital---still have a dumb phone, but use desktop computers at work, both PC and Mac. And I have an old MacBook at home that I mostly use for streaming video these days.

Not sure how many devices to have in my camping life. My initial thoughts are to have a smart phone for the usual nomad apps, a laptop, and a kindle or similar device to read books (or maybe just do audio books?). Three devices seems a bit of overkill. I want a real keyboard, thus the laptop, plus would like to run a spreadsheet to track expenses, but realize I could get a wireless keyboard with a tablet and get by. Could a tablet also run the nomad apps and be a phone? Would that be crazy? I know I have to decide if tablet screen size is too small for me if I go that way. I realize this is a can of worms for a question. I am really all over the place. Your input would be helpful.

When it comes to stuff like this, redundancy is good.

Having backups is a good idea in case of failure of one or two of them. 

Plus, you really need a phone you can carry all the time when out and about. 

Smartphones (or dumb phones) are so small and handy and cheap, there is no good reason not to keep that, and then the tablet is handy for some things, and the laptop will be good for other things.

All three devices, is my vote.

I carry an IPad and a smart phone.

With a Kindle and/or Nook app, you can easily read on the IPad without adding another device, and can do almost anything on the IPad that you could a laptop.

On the rare occasion I am traveling and need to print something out, I send it to myself in mail and then stop at a library to use their computers and printer.

I agree with TX. The more you have, the better prepared you are. I even go so far as having a low power server in the van. Nice for streaming my movie collection.

I have a Verizon connected tablet, it does have a phone number as that is now it is connected to the internet. But my particular tablet can not be used to make voice calls in and out on that number. But there are some models of tablets that can do that function with the phone number assigned to it by the cell phone company. Do your research carefully and talk to the phone company before you buy the device to make sure it will function the way you want it to.

I can make phone calls out and receive them in on my tablet using a phone number from a secondary service such as Google Voice. I am not going to tempt to explain how that works to you. You can go on the internet and research that service and other similar services. Some of this stuff depends on if you are using an apple tablet product or an android operating system tablet. Talk to the company you are going to get cellular service from, I don't work for them, I am not up on all the latest devices they recommend.

I can use my with a keyboard and a mouse if I want to. For spreadsheet work I like to have a keyboard with a numeric pad. There are lots of spreadsheet programs around that will work on tablets.

I have a cell phone and a tablet and a laptop. I need to use software that requires a lot of RAM and a high powered processor as well as a high end graphics card. So for now 3 devices, later on after I am out of my current cell phone plan then I might consider looking for a tablet that is capable of making and receiving calls with my cellular number. As to having a cell phone along with me at all times....I use a cross body bag instead of a purse. They work just fine to take on a hike or to the store, etc. I don't need a 10 inch tablet, a smaller one will do just fine. Plus you can use a bluetooth headset to communicate on for calls while the tablet is still inside of the cross body bag.

Where there is a will, there is often a way. Technology is ever evolving with alternative products for communication and computing.

Maki appears to be one of those 'ok its time to pull out my 10 inch tablet and take pictures' kind of person...lol...

:p

Smart phones generally function as a pretty good camera, music supplier, weather checker, gps substitute, texting device, and oh yeah, phone for those super-rare voice calls.... Fairly cheap (for the low end units) and generally easy to carry, charge, and use...in most cases anyway.

Tablets are fine for certain things, but no way in heck I'm gonna carry one around all day every day, as a daily use device...just aint gonna happen.

Hey, we all likes what we likes...

Welcome to the CRVL forums JodiG! I have a laptop, Kindle, and smartphone and use them every day so my vote goes for all three too.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I retired as a software developer from IBM in 2015 and started part-timing in my RV.  Because of the need to minimize on size and power consumption, I started relying on my iPad for more and more of my work while on the road.  The past two years, I pretty much exclusively use the iPad even when at my sticks-and-bricks.  I got a keyboard case for the iPad so that I could easily type.  There is fairly inexpensive software for spread sheets, but you can actually get MS office tools if you want.  I do video editing on my iPad using LumaFusion, all of my banking, budgeting using mint, email, streaming, etc. on my iPad.  I discovered recently that I can also do my taxes using H&R Block on my iPad.  Really there is nothing I can think of that I would ‘have’ to do only on a laptop.  Oh there might be specific software that is only MS laptop, but I’m more concerned with the functionality that meets my needs than a specific app. 

I still have a laptop, but prefer the iPad, especially when on the road,  because 1) it has a smaller footprint, 2) it has online access to a HUGE software store, 3) it sips power, 4) it is directly recharged from a 12-volt USB port, 5) it stays fairly current with software technology.

Oh yes -  I would not get a pad which connects directly to the internet through a specific carrier.  The carrier plans change too frequently to do that.  I would instead use either a hotspot device or a cell phone which can function as a hotspot.  The key thing is not the device so much but the data plan that you get with your hotspot.  

You tablet/iPad would then connect to your hotspot.  That’s what I’m doing right now at the RTR in replying to the question.

tx2sturgis said:
Maki appears to be one of those 'ok its time to pull out my 10 inch tablet and take pictures' kind of person...lol...

:p

Smart phones generally function as a pretty good camera, music supplier, weather checker, gps substitute, texting device, and oh yeah, phone for those super-rare voice calls.... Fairly cheap (for the low end units) and generally easy to carry, charge, and use...in most cases anyway.

Tablets are fine for certain things, but no way in heck I'm gonna carry one around all day every day, as a daily use device...just aint gonna happen.

Hey, we all likes what we likes...
Tx2sturgis, you are jumping to conclusions about me. I don't own a 10 inch tablet and I don't take photos with my  7 0r 8 inch tablets. I have a Verizon connected tablet because I have an online store where I sell products I make while I travel. Therefore I need a secure connection (financial transactions) with a screen large enough to see what I am doing and I need to interface with a wifi enabled printer for creating shipping labels. All my order notifications arrive via my email so I have that on it too. Customers often have questions they want answered before they order something. So I do carry it around with me when I go out and about around running errands. That is just how things work for some of us that are self employed while on the road. The cell phone is mostly for calling and sometimes texting. I had retinal damage and it knocked out my central detail vision. Too hard for me to work on the little cell phone screen for reading and writing stuff.

I made it SO obvious I was kidding around....so much for me making the assumption you had a sense of humor.

I wont do that again.

tx2sturgis said:
I made it SO obvious I was kidding around....so much for me making the assumption you had a sense of humor.

I wont do that again.
Thanks, I appreciate that :p

Thanks everyone for your generous feedback. Once I fully absorb this, I can make a better decision than I would have without your info.

Thanks!
jodi

I have a cheap android that I use as a hotspot and it also functions as a phone. I have unlimited data via Visible on the Verizon network. I also have another deactivated android that I can use via wifi and that one has a better camera than the other. Aside from those two, I have an Acer Chromebook that sips power. I use it mainly for reading online and streaming video, email, paying bills etc

I would start with a big fat phone (screen). Probably Android and almost certainly using Visible (runs on Verizon network). Believe you can still join a Visible “Party” and get the monthly price down to $25. Read more about Visible on this forum.

You can email, talk, text, listen to audiobooks, read books, take photos and videos, watch movies, search the internet and more on that one device. You can even write the great American novel.

Anything more than that is luxury and maybe beyond your budget. How do you want to spend your resources? Computer, phone stuff to connect to the internet or gas, tires, brakes, an oil change, good hiking walking shoes to travel and see this beautiful country? Some of us can do almost everything with the funds we have, most of us have to pick and choose where to spend our dollars.

If you don’t have a smartphone and plan I’d start and stop right there. I’d find a good techie friend or relative to help you find a big screen, great low cost, unlocked, can work on any of the 4 networks phone. I often find on Amazon a nice Motorola phone, big size, nice camera for less than $250. Last 2 were 149 and 199. These were a special price for Prime members. A friend with a Prime account can order the phone for you. You pay them. Get a good sized SD card that you can afford and will work in your phone so you can carry lots of books, movies, photos. Your Techie friend can help you set it up so Apps and the books, movies are stored on the SD card. Yes this is all Greek to you. Don’t worry

Sign up for Visible service and get on a Party to get the $25 month price. Unlimited everything and it is a Hotspot too. Learn the phone, well really it’s a computer. Setup your email on it,  download Kindle, Audible, Overdrive (or Libby) or other e-reader Apps. Get a library card and learn how to checkout ebooks and audiobooks and download to your phone.
Find good Free weather Apps. Bookmark and download Free camping Apps.
Take that phone everywhere and learn not to drop it, lose it, leave it on a counter, restaurant table, drop in toilet. It is your best friend, guard it with your life. Find a safe place for it to ride in your vehicle so it doesn’t fall on floor or become unreachable if you were in an accident. But you Will Not use it while driving. No phone call or text is worth your life, the life of another or even the tow to repair shop because you drifted off road and broke a wheel.

You already have a laptop so wouldn’t look for another now. It will connect to the internet using the Hotspot on that phone with Visible service. You can also take it into libraries and use on their WiFi.

Tons of other add on options, 1 example-
If you want to stay compact and simple for travel but find you need that keyboard, you can find a Bluetooth keyboard and still use the phone to do email and such. Get that screen propped up close to you and most old eyes can see quite well.

Ask more questions and let us know what you choose

I forgot something about Visible Wireless service. They currently allow only certain model phone to use their service. Most recent iPhones work but not every Android works. They do have some under $250 on their site and you can check about bring your own phone.
Suggest reading on Amazon reviews about each of the phones Visible currently allows in your price range and then see if buying from Amazon or Visible is the right way to go.
Visible did have a phone “R2” for $19 that many on this site said was not bad. Currently out of stock

My wife is stuck in the 1990's era when it comes to technology (and vehicles, too) so I had found her a good setup which is user-friendly for her. I've been a long-time fan of LG stuff, like smartphones, televisions etc. Her setup is for ease of access without using too many settings, so I settled her with an LG Stylo 2+ ($149.99 new and a beast of a phone), a similar LG G-Pad 2 tablet (super simple layout and almost identical menus to the Stylo 2), an older laptop (2010 era) with Windows XP and an LG flip phone (in case she feels nostalgic). They're fairly cheap devices and aren't the most stylish or tech-filled on the market but they're very reliable and have great battery lives.

My favorite part of the G-Pad 2 is they are SIM compatible, have a rare USB input for flash drives, keyboards etc and are fairly cheap to get. I paid $99 for hers in 2019 in mint shape. It's no gaming device, however, but it lets her text and type easily.

- Karen

Hi. I have a 10" Kindle for personal use. If you buy around Black Friday or Christmas you can buy it for 100$ saving 50$ off original price. Compare that to an ipad? I have over 400 books on mine. I also have 100$ Samsung on Straight talk $55 with unlimited data and 10 gigs for a hot spot. I have a membership with Netflix 14$ and a Prime membership,approximately 80$ a yr with veteran discount.Go to McDonald's or Lowe's (really good internet) and I can download approximately 15 movies on each to view later anywhere.HoboJoe

How about bringing all your options and then getting rid of what you end up not using?

I only have a phone right now but it drives me crazy when I want to type. I type faster than I text. I use google translate everyday and typing large chunks of text using my thumbs makes me want to smash the stupid phone. I have had a tablet but I want a large screen laptop for various reasons including vision. I agree with whoever said take everything and discard what you don’t need. Nobody can tell you what to get because it’s so personal. I had an Etsy store for six years and when buying antique jewelry online I needed a giant clear screen to see every flaw. So again personal.

Latest posts