truck toppers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gipsyweaver

Reaction score
I couldn't decide if this was a question for this forum or for the RV forum...<br><br>Do any companies produce an over-cab truck camper shell that is just the shell, with maybe wiring included? A truck seems more practical than a van longterm for me, but only the over-cab campers are tall enough to be comfortable. And outfitting it myself would be both cheaper and better adapted to me (and I wouldn't loose any weight to things I don't want or need). I did search for this, but so far, I've only found the normal toppers that are too short, or complete camping units.<br>

<P><b>Those are really nice but I'm so darn cheap aka poor that I would consider getting a 300.00 camper off craigslist and tearing the cabinets out if possible. Might be to hard on the structure though. Has anyone torn out a truck camper?&nbsp; I am considering getting a flush with the top of my Silverado shell, used of course to store extra stuff.</b></P>

<FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3>My friend had a fourwheelcamper top.&nbsp; All aluminum framed, nice and easy to pop the top up, and it was empty.&nbsp; They are more expensive (even a well used plain jane one is like 2500 on Craigslist), but it would be my choice. </FONT><br><br><br>

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> <p class="MsoNormal">Wow, thank you all! I think C8 of the Belairshells that Paddling Man found is probably closest to what I have in mind, especially with price, though they're all really appealing. At that price, I could spend a bit extra finishing out the interior, though, and possibly install a small solar setup. Stripping an old one down to redo is an option, but if I can afford to, I'd prefer to start with a new one. Fewer hidden problems and usually has a warranty.<br> <br> Oddly, I don't actually plan to use the over cab area for sleeping, I plan to use it as storage space for light, bulky items---any unused blankets, quilts, towels, off-season clothes, and craft supplies. I'd put a bed across the truck bed just behind the cab that would double as my daytime couch. My understanding is heavier items should be low and relatively evenly distributed, at least while driving?<br> <br> I am learning so much from ya'll, thank you!</p>