My low Budget Truck Shell build.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi all I am working on my current camper build. My grand son in-law got me a free truck shell for my Chevy 1500 p/u and I am building a camper for this coming summer. So far I only have about $20 for hinges, screws etc. I have the couch/ bed storage unit and a work surface and storeage cabinet built, I will be working on the electrical this next week.

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_111201-2.jpg
    IMG_20211121_111201-2.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 98
Wow! very impressive what a few screws and hinges can do -with a lot of talent!
Looks great Jbent!

Yes Sophi, The shell was a gift, the materials were from a video store that was going out of business and they let me have all of the shelving units I could disassemble, the cushions are borrowed from a camper trailer. I think it will be real comfortable.

Thanks guys, I'm an old tinkerer on SS so my budget is always tight. But I love making things work. Haha.

Last May/June I did a 3800mile road trip in a camper-shell camper that I call my Cramper. Like yours, the shell was free, but I did buy some plywood and a few other things. I've never actually added it up, but I think I have about $200 in it. I was very pleased that I spent so little, but you have placed that bar way lower than that! Great job!

I particularly like your taillift, they're quite rare on pick up trucks and yours would make a useful additional platform like having your own deck.

Tailgate apart, your camper fit out and shell looks like a very comfortable and warm place to be whilst travelling.

AeroNautiCal, I used to have an appliance store and this was one of my delivery trucks. The lift is larger than most because I sold Sub Zero and Wolf appliances. I don't know if I could get by without the lift. I just received a diesel heater as a gift from Camper and I am waiting for my shoulder to heal more before I reset the shell and finish the electrical.

Hi all I am working on my current camper build. My grand son in-law got me a free truck shell for my Chevy 1500 p/u and I am building a camper for this coming summer. So far I only have about $20 for hinges, screws etc. I have the couch/ bed storage unit and a work surface and storeage cabinet built, I will be working on the electrical this next week.
wow, so impressive. so nice. I have a camper shell too, but i just bought a cot bed, and insulated it with reflextix . i don't know how to build anything

wow, so impressive. so nice. I have a camper shell too, but i just bought a cot bed, and insulated it with reflextix . i don't know how to build anything
If you can put together a system that works for you that's what is important. Any setup that lets you get outside and enjoy life is good. Enjoy

Well all I'm taking a couple of months break from the project due to shoulder replacement surgery next week. I have all of the electrical laid out along with a chinese diesel heater ( graciously provided by Camper) so I will see you all in the spring.