Truck tent camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley11

Reaction score
Hi! I'm Dee and just started out on a cross country trip in my 2004 F150 truck and I have a tent that fits over the 8' bed where of course I will sleep. My concern is wildlife since I'm from Southern NJ and we really don't have much to worry about except bugs. I'm not sure how I will feel camping in the northern states unless I stay on military bases (I'm retired Air Force) where I think I would be safer. I will eventually get a cap (or build one) but for this trip I'm using the tent. Any information would really be appreciated.  I've watched so many of the videos and love them all; very informative. Thank you

The only thing I would worry much about are the grizzly bears, once you get to western Wyoming near Yellowstone, and in the corridor from there up to Glacier Park. Read some pages, especially by park people about camping in grizzly country. The major thing is no food or strong attractant smells in the tent. Especially no bacon. People do tent camp in those areas, and the campgrounds likely have bear boxes to keep your food in. I believe there is no tent camping in those two parks themselves, but in the surrounding areas. Have fun. Otherwise, not too much to greatly worry about.

Welcome Riley to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Dee, put up some pictures of your rig. I have been thinking of the same thing. With the tent elevated to the height of the pickup bed bears are about the only predator you have. Jeff

I used to 4wd camp in bear country. We used to slide the food coolers under the vehicle and tie them in place. Bears would still try to get them at night.

Dee, put up some pictures of your rig. I have been thinking of the same thing. With the tent elevated to the height of the pickup bed bears are about the only predator you have. Jeff

Hello, I will as soon as I read the instructions on how to upload a photo. ?

Riley11 said:
Hello, I will as soon as I read the instructions on how to upload a photo. ?

If you choose to reply to a post, At the bottom of your new post there is a button called browse. Use this to find the picture file that you want to add. Then hit the add attachment button. Now click on where in your post you want the pic to be, then click the button that says inset file in post. If you do not see a brouse tab like in making an original post, you can submitt your post then choose edit post full edit. The button will be near the bottom left.

It sounds harder than it is. One caution the file size can not be too large. I usually load the picture file into Windows paint and reduce it's size then save it under a different name. I upload the smaller file. If you still need help, let us know.

DannyB1954 said:
Hi Danny,

Here is a pic of my tent up on my truck. After a few attempts I was able to change the size on my Mac and it worked. Thanks for the information.

If you choose to reply to a post, At the bottom of your new post there is a button called browse. Use this to find the picture file that you want to add. Then hit the add attachment button. Now click on where in your post you want the pic to be, then click the button that says inset file in post.  If you do not see a brouse tab like in making an original post, you can submitt your post then choose edit post full edit. The button will be near the bottom left.

It sounds harder than it is. One caution the file size can not be too large. I usually load the picture file into Windows paint and reduce it's size then save it under a different name. I upload the smaller file. If you still need help, let us know.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 21
Hi, Riley! I’m wondering about how the truck tent worked for you. I’m about to take off the the RTR in the exact same tent. I got the extension for the ground though. Did you like it? Have any problems? Any tips? I’ve already set it up once as a test. It’s hard by myself but I did it. Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated!

Mary

Latest posts