Trim Pieces on van - Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
The GMC has a trim piece at the back doors (which I've got out right now) and the plastic? insert at the side door step well.

It's an odd height that is going to interfere with the floor board layout I want.

If I take it right out what do I do to the step to make it non-skid or do I take the plastic out and cut it to match where I want the floorboards to come and if I do that how do I make it stick back in there??

Help!!

Image is everything.. and without it.. It's kind of hard to figure out what your referring to when I've never own a GMC anything. So post us up some images..

Here's the pic for you.

My older vans didn't have the trim parts like they do now, bit easier to work with.

Part of the floor will go right out over the step well at the rear side door so it's either all got to go or I have to cut it to fit.

Stepwell.jpg

Attachments

• Stepwell.jpg
    Stepwell.jpg
    224.1 KB
You cut the wood to fit, and use some aluminum carpet trim to cover the cut edge.

What about just trimming off the top overlap that is interfering with the floor laying flush, and leaving the rest in place? I wouldn't cut half of it away; better to take it all out and replace it with non-skid material (referred to by LR), if you can't trim the overlap.

Almost There said:
The GMC has a trim piece at the back doors (which I've got out right now) and the plastic? insert at the side door step well.

It's an odd height that is going to interfere with the floor board layout I want.

If I take it right out what do I do to the step to make it non-skid or do I take the plastic out and cut it to match where I want the floorboards to come and if I do that how do I make it stick back in there??

Help!!

I'm in the same boat as you right now with that exact same piece. I was just getting ready to cut the right side of the floor when i realized that I had to put that plastic piece back in, and that it wouldn't fit with the plastic piece in the way. soooo Ill let you know what I figure out.

pmekdahl01 said:
I'm in the same boat as you right now with that exact same piece. I was just getting ready to cut the right side of the floor when i realized that I had to put that plastic piece back in, and that it wouldn't fit with the plastic piece in the way. soooo Ill let you know what I figure out.

It's a weird height which makes it hard to match flooring to so it's not a tripping hazard for starters. AND it's almost 3/4" higher than the van floor so the lip has to go so the wood will lie flat. It's now a question as to how I cut it away or whether I toss the whole thing.

I'm putting the wood floor out and over the wheel well so that when it's finished it will be flush with the inside of the rear door. I'll close in the small area in the wheel well there - it will be a small cubby hole but my rain shoes might fit.

The wheel well on the newer vans leaves precious little room between the front of it and the door opening. I need some of that space for the toilet hence the floor extending out over the wheel well.

Let me know what you figure out.

Alright, I think I have a plan. I cut the insulation and the wood flooring so it overlaps the plastic by about an inch. Then I am going to cut into the insulation at an angle to it matches up with the plastic, that will make sure that its laying flat. Then i figure i can just make a trim piece to even up the wood and make it all look nice.

I used that space to put my camp chair into. It slips next to the door and is snug and out of the way.

Do a google search under METAL FLOOR TRIM Look at the images and see if anything strikes your fancy.

Almost There said:
It's a weird height which makes it hard to match flooring to so it's not a tripping hazard for starters. AND it's almost 3/4" higher than the van floor so the lip has to go so the wood will lie flat. It's now a question as to how I cut it away or whether I toss the whole thing.

I'm putting the wood floor out and over the wheel well so that when it's finished it will be flush with the inside of the rear door. I'll close in the small area in the wheel well there - it will be a small cubby hole but my rain shoes might fit.

The wheel well on the newer vans leaves precious little room between the front of it and the door opening. I need some of that space for the toilet hence the floor extending out over the wheel well.

Let me know what you figure out.
Did you ever decide what to do? Here's what I did.
6ae1e31918d8d6b1f924271ab93d2936.jpg

My problem was that I needed the floor at the side rear door to come out over the stepwell.

It's out right now while I get the flooring in and now that I know how it fastens in place I think I can cut the lip off that goes up and over the floor. That way I can keep on using it. I'll cut the plywood floor so that I can use regular quarter round at the edge of the plywood to give it a finished look.

I trimed my floor to go around the step well. If you are not going to have a step, just take the plastic piece away.