Tribe

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltTransBikes

Reaction score
That's a term that gets used, bandied about, perhaps tongue in cheek, perhaps resolutely.
I'm curious if and how the term resonates with you?

What does the term tribe mean to you?
What would you like it to mean?

TRIBE= a loosely bonded group of like minded individuals who TEND to travel (roughly) together. That's what I think of (and am aiming towards).
KinA

yeah...that's close to the same way I see it...except I don't like things too loose.

Reason is, because if I consider you to be a part of my 'tribe', then as your 'tribal' brother...I've got your back.
I kin only hope & pray you feel the same way too, and take your comitment to me as seriously as I take it for you.

I rode with a 'serious' motorcycle club many years ago, and it very definately had the feel of a tribe. It left a lasting impression on me. The brotherhood was very tight, and I really valued that. You could truely depend on the guy riding next to you.

We'd see 'other' clubs, and were blown away by how little these guys knew about each other. They barely knew each other's real names, only by their club nicknames. They knew nothing about their lives, or who their spouses even were.

I liked that if the crap hit the fan, then I really KNEW the man with me, and I could depend on him. Now THAT'S a TRIBE!

LEO's are a tribe. You mess with one, then they'll ALL come down on you! Military...same thing. (but that's good...as their lives often depend on that level of committment!)

Alotta vandwellers consider each other as tribal brothers, and so do Rainbow Family members, DeadHeads, artists, surfers, all kinza groups of folks. That's fine, and I enjoy that form of comradery...but I don't take it too seriously.

I couldn't, unless I could somehow spend time getting to know each and every one of you, on a personal one on one basis...and again, I'd hope you'd expect nothing less from me as well.

this is simply how I see it. JMO

Good answers so far, thanks.

A popular term used but difficult to realize then. Still, I sense a longing out there.

'Tribe' means time to GTFO for this puppy. It's up there with 'politics' & 'guvmint' and I avoid both like the plague. ..Willy.