Traveling safely with full gas cans.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa Truck Gypsy

Reaction score
I'm heading out toward North Texas soon and was planning on bringing two 5 gal cans of gasoline because I hear there is a shortage right now and I don't want to run out on the road. What is the safest way to transport this? I have a truck with a topper. I was wondering if I traveled with the gas cans in the topper with the windows open if that would be enough ventilation or a dangerous situation due to any spark or friction. I do have one of those flat cargo things that mount to a hitch but I'm a bit nervous about advertising that I have extra gas cans on the back and don't want to be robbed considering the situation there right now. Any advice would be helpful.

if you have good gas cans you could put them in the topper. but if you have cans that leak I wouldn't put them inside. I have never seen a plastic can that doesn't leak. let me rephrase that, the only plastic can that I have seen that doesn't leak is the Scepter but thanks to the EPA you can't buy them here anymore. they are available in Canada. highdesertranger

State officials are saying there is not a legitimate gas shortage here in Texas. Social media got rumors going about a shortage and became self full filling. Hopefully in a few days or less after all that believe that have filled all their cars and containers the lines that are going on now will cease.

In the meantime I might use a hitch carrier and carry a container on it. Write cleaning bleach or something on the container. Something that won't require a placard.

I've read that strapping the red plastic gas can on the back of a hitch carrier is like a bomb if you get rear ended. Very concerned about that but don't have any roof rack to put it there. I was wondering if I could put them in a bin with a lot of holes drilled in the plastic bin in the top and bottom and then cover the top lid with reflectix that has holes poked in it so that it will be able to vent. Will the reflectix help keep the cans cooler outside on the hitch rack?

Whatever you do, don't smoke around them (or let anyone else do so).

NATO cans are great, but make sure you get good ones, not the Chinese knock offs. I have a couple links if you are interested. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
NATO cans are great,  but make sure you get good ones,  not the Chinese knock offs.  I have a couple links if you are interested.  highdesertranger
Ditto! Anybody near North Las Vegas can go into Hahn's Surplus to check them out. They carry both the Chinese knock offs, and the real ones so you can easily see the difference.

Lisa Truck Gypsy said:
I'm heading out toward North Texas soon....

On purpose? :huh: 

If you have an option to wait till the gas 'shortage' levels out, you might not need to carry any spare gasoline.

I would prefer gas cans on the outside of my vehicle. No matter what I'm driving. Nothing worse then smelling gas fumes. But I can see the situation you are in as well. If you strap them to the outside you are a target for thieves. And there were already enough reports of looting down there. Seems like every natural disaster brings out both the best and the worst in people.

Let us know what you end up doing. I have no recommendation on gas cans because I don't ever carry them. But I would definitely take the advice of the knowledgeable people on here and look into the better made gas cans they recommend.

Dennis said:
State officials are saying there is not a legitimate gas shortage here in Texas. Social media got rumors going about a shortage and became self full filling. 

deadwood said:
Seems like every natural disaster brings out both the best and the worst in people.

i-FkV6vH9-X2.jpg

Trashcan gas?

I had seen this in the news....this guy should get the Darwin Award...maybe he has already.

*IF* I were the 'trouble-maker' type, and I had seen it happening, I might have been tempted to toss in a lit cigarette!

But, I value life on THIS side of the metal bars....

:cool:

I was working as a convenience store district supervisor when 9/11 happened; ... people went NUTS, all of our stores had to get daily deliveries of around 20,000 gallons of fuel (split between unleaded/premium/diesel) because so many were showing up with multiple cans of all types along with several 55+ gallon drums they wanted filled. Of course there was no fuel shortage looming then so all the gas companies made a mint because the excess fuel was typically not stored correctly ...

highdesertranger said:
NATO cans are great, but make sure you get good ones, not the Chinese knock offs. I have a couple links if you are interested. highdesertranger

What are the best sources for the authentic NATO’s? Thx!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Latest posts