Traveling from OR to RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all!  I’m traveling with my child from Portland area towards the location for the WRTR. Looking for suggestions on dispersed camping or route options. I want to see some beautiful areas. I haven’t really explored the area before. Also open to caravaning with people! I was traveling with a partner up until recently, so I’m a little nervous traveling alone with my baby.   Looking to leave the area within the next week. Thanks ahead of time for any advice or suggestions! 

We are in a 30ft motorhome.

Hello TF, welcome to the road. There is another woman leaving from Oregon in Sept, check this thread, post #12. Maybe PM her. Oops, I think she has already left now, but look for her in the Womans Only Forum.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=30827

I suggested a possible route south in post #15 on that thread. However, if starting in Portland, I would suggest going to Mt Hood, then down Hwys 26 and 97 to Bend. Do *NOT* miss the Peter Skene Ogden Park rest area just north of Terrebonne. Turn right just past the bridge over the high gorge. Absolutely incredible.

Then 97 to Klamath Falls and stay on 97 over to Shasta. Coming into Mt Shasta from that direction is phenomenal. Then pick up the route I suggested in the other post. There are many CGs between Shasta and Lassen on Hwy 89, and once south of Carson City, there are loads of CGs along Hwy 395 south (which is my favorite road in america, :). You get to see the entire backbone of the eastern Sierra. Have Fun.

Hello, I'll be travelling from Portland to RTR. . .though not attending women's.

I usually use FreeCampsites.net to find camping.

See you on the road,
Jules

TravelingFamily:  I’m traveling with my child from Portland area towards the location for the WRTR. Looking for suggestions on dispersed camping or route options. I want to see some beautiful areas. 

You're probably already on the road by now but here goes anyway. My vehicle is a compact SUV. Returning to western Oregon from the RTR last January I went through Las Vegas, Reno then took highways 395 to 139 to 39. By then I was in Klamath Falls, OR and followed Hwy 97 north to Hwy 58. This route was much nicer than taking I-5. I did not care for the freeways in large cities. I'm getting tense just remembering Los Angeles.

For sleeping I stayed at a rest area in Amargosa Valley, NV. Your 30' vehicle would be fine boondocking here. First half of the second night I parked at a ranger station near the California/Oregon border and left early. Continued on and slept at a library or welcome center in a small town. Those two places might not be able to accomodate a large vehicle like yours. Next night I was at home.

What is a good mapping app for mapping the route?  Mapquest no longer works for me as it defaults to going through cities.  I was thinking of taking Oregon 20 to 395.     ~crofter

Use freecampsites.net and go to their trip planner. You can set the parameters such as no freeways and toll roads, move the route it picks if you want and specify how far off the route you're willing to go to find free camping. It will populate the route and then give you all the free campsites you could ever ask for.

You've probably left already :) If not, we're letting you know that we'll be heading out around the 15th of Nov from the Roseburg area. Just waiting for the shop to finish a few repairs so we can get moving.