Transit Connect - Just joined the Club!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a 2010 Transit connect. Yup it's small but if I can make it work, it will save me about $300 a month in gas over my hightop Express. 

So first step is to wrap my head around is how to insulate. I'm thinking multiple layers... bubble wrap/fleece blanket  (3 or 4 layers ) / tarp material  (?).  I want it to mold to the curves of the van. The bubble wrap is intended to provide an air gap. From my experience my Wave 3 will provide too much heat so I'll set the thermostat on the Maxxair to suck the heat if it gets too hot. Thus , I need some insulation but I'm more concerned about stopping condensation than retaining heat.

How effective will the fleece be sandwiched between the other layers? I'm aiming for about R3.

Do you plan to rent a storage locker for like extra propane tanks to swap em in? And for other stuff ?
Have a build thread?
Thanks

Around here it's about $200 a month to rent a storage locker. I generally don't carry two tanks but I may buy two 10 pounders. Their smaller dimensions would make them easier to store.

I'm lookin forward to the build Details , oh one detail i'm very 
curious about is the bulk head partition , do these Transit Connects come 
with a bulk head or do you have something in mind?
I noticed they have a door on the drivers side too , looks like that 
would come in handy.

For insulation that is light and form fitting, I'd look at the cheap backpacking pads from Wally World. They are usually 1/2'' closed cell foam, so light weight with a surprising amount of insulation value - especially as a thermal break which is what you want to stop condensation - you want to keep the warm inside air from coming in contact with the cold metal skin of the van. There are other sources for closed cell foam in varying thicknesses, but the camper pads will be the cheapest. Just stick them on with spray adhesive. If you find a color you like, they could even be your finished wall and ceiling surfaces, saving many bumped heads in the confined space of a Transit Connect. They are also usually available as Army surplus in olive drab if that's your thing.

Here's a quick pic...

Screenshot_2016-10-27-19-29-28_zpsvwbog3cf.jpg

Mobilesport said:
I'm lookin forward to the build Details , oh one detail i'm very 
curious about is the bulk head partition , do these Transit Connects come 
with a bulk head or do you have something in mind?
I noticed they have a door on the drivers side too , looks like that 
would come in handy.

No bulkhead but you could order one. I think it would limit seat position. I've concluded that I'll be putting an insulated curtain up instead.

masterplumber said:
For insulation that is light and form fitting, I'd look at the cheap backpacking pads from Wally World. They are usually 1/2'' closed cell foam, so light weight with a surprising amount of insulation value - especially as a thermal break which is what you want to stop condensation - you want to keep the warm inside air from coming in contact with the cold metal skin of the van. There are other sources for closed cell foam in varying  thicknesses, but the camper pads will be the cheapest. Just stick them on with spray adhesive. If you find a color you like, they could even be your finished wall and ceiling surfaces, saving many bumped heads in the confined space of a Transit Connect. They are also usually available as Army surplus in olive drab if that's your thing.

Thanks. Maybe that back packing pad with bubble wrap on the van skin would be a good combination. I'm most concerned about moisture developing between the van skin and insulation.

Cool transit you got there. I'm looking forward to see your progress.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

One Awesome Inch said:
Here's a quick pic...

Screenshot_2016-10-27-19-29-28_zpsvwbog3cf.jpg
Nice looking rig!  I've got one just like it.  :)   Looking forward to seeing how you set it up.

I was just thinking , after you insulate it , that small space ain't going to require much of a heater

Good luck!
I'd love to do a small build (connect, minivan, etc) someday for the engineering challenge! I bet you're going to have a blast trying out ideas

Congrats on the truck and enjoy the build.

When I build art crates I foam them with sheets of 1/2 and 1 inch open cell foam. The 1 inch comes in 4x10 sheets from a packing supply house, The 1/2 inch is in a roll. It is easy to cut, very pliable and while it may not have the highest R value, I did our garage door in 1 inch except the windows, those were 1/2. The difference it makes is amazing. I am using it to insulate the hidden areas of my trailer and cutting window covers out of the 1/2 inch. The 1 inch makes great inserts for the vents and they never crumble.

I think if you could find some that it would be better than the bubble wrap.

Interesting thanks! BTW are you *the* Jim Barnaby that comments on my YouTube videos?