trailer conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gipsyweaver

Reaction score
I think this is the right place to ask about this... I know several people have converted enclosed cargo trailers, but has anyone done a conversion on a flatbed? While I'd prefer not to tow a trailer, I've been playing with the beginnings of an idea, partly based on things I've seen at larger camping events where a few people show up and assemble a temporary wooden structure on site (obviously these events are one or two weeks long to make that worth while).<br><br>Would it be possible to start with a flat cargo trailer with low walls, build a permanent box up to about 4', then create removable panels with windows to extend the walls up by about 1.5 or 2' more when parked? Unfortunately, I don't have any way to draw what I'm picturing and excuse my lack of correct terms, but the panels would have 2x4 braces extending 1 or 2' downwards. To put them in place, there would be holes in the braces for the base walls and the extension braces that line up and a bolt could be inserted through them to hold them in place. The roof could be made from similar removeable panels that could be stored with the extension walls when traveling and a tarp used over the trailer's contents, or it could be a permanent one that gets raised and lowered.<br><br>It seems to me this could have some advantages: a lower trailer is easier to tow, I'm told, and it would add standing room height when parked. But I think there could be problems with engineering it, water leaks, weight, and just general hassle to set up and take down.You wouldn't be able to stealth very well in it, but it would be less obvious when you aren't camping.<br>

gipsyweaver said:
I think this is the right place to ask about this... I know several people have converted enclosed cargo trailers, but has anyone done a conversion on a flatbed? While I'd prefer not to tow a trailer, I've been playing with the beginnings of an idea, partly based on things I've seen at larger camping events where a few people show up and assemble a temporary wooden structure on site (obviously these events are one or two weeks long to make that worth while).<br><br>Would it be possible to start with a flat cargo trailer with low walls, build a permanent box up to about 4', then create removable panels with windows to extend the walls up by about 1.5 or 2' more when parked? Unfortunately, I don't have any way to draw what I'm picturing and excuse my lack of correct terms, but the panels would have 2x4 braces extending 1 or 2' downwards. To put them in place, there would be holes in the braces for the base walls and the extension braces that line up and a bolt could be inserted through them to hold them in place. The roof could be made from similar removeable panels that could be stored with the extension walls when traveling and a tarp used over the trailer's contents, or it could be a permanent one that gets raised and lowered.<br><br>It seems to me this could have some advantages: a lower trailer is easier to tow, I'm told, and it would add standing room height when parked. But I think there could be problems with engineering it, water leaks, weight, and just general hassle to set up and take down.You wouldn't be able to stealth very well in it, but it would be less obvious when you aren't camping.<br>
<div><br></div><div>A flatbed trailer would convert just fine, but I'd use a stake one if possible.</div>

gipsyweaver said:
Vonu, what's a stake trailer?<br>
<div><br></div><div>A stake trailer is a flatbed that has metal frames around the perimeter for the insertion of wooden stakes, either to keep cargo on the trailer and/or to provide support for sides. &nbsp;That would provide a good foundation for any walls you'd want to build onto a flatbed trailer.</div>

OK, that's actually what I was talking about when I called it a flatbed trailer. Thanks!<br>

If you wanted to focus on keeping the build low profile and lightweight, you might look into sips (or structural insulated panels.) They can be made to snap together, are super well insulated and more lightweight than just about any other material of equivalent properties. You could make a structure that would snap together fairly quickly and still have good characteristics as a building.

If you're going to make a transformer type of building, I think you should probably stay away from standard 2x4" construction. Too heavy.

It really depends on more factors, like how long you plan on having this thing set up, how long you are willing to spend on setup/tear down. What kind of climates are you going to be using this in? How many hours a day do you plan to be in there? What amenities do you need, what are you willing to give up?

We all know this is years old, . . . right?

LowTech said:
We all know this is years old, . . . right?

so.....

as long as the topic is still open, who cares??

it's all about sharing information man. it's all good.

there are hard-sided campers that slide up and down, in order to fit inside garages and sit lower behind the tow vehicle, for better fuel economy.
slide up camper.jpg

I also found these which is more along the lines of the topic...
fold up camper plans.jpg

Attachments

• slide up camper.jpg
    slide up camper.jpg
    32.7 KB
  • fold up camper plans.jpg
    fold up camper plans.jpg
    162 KB
Patrick46- I'm all good w/ threads that keep going. I also think it's a courtesy when people are asking questions of the OP that they know may not get an answer do to age of thread.
Nothing more intended.

the problem with hard sided pop-ups is the seal. even new they leak and leaks mean cold/hot air coming in, not to mention bugs. also nothing can be built on the inside that is full height and the way they try to make something full height is cheesy at best. I looked at a few at our recent rv show and was not impressed. highdesertranger

Did you look at an Aliner or Alaskan Camper? I've heard nothing but goods things about either one. They've solved all the problems with hard-sided.
Bob