trading a car for a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have a 2002 toyota camry solaro that is in decent shape.Cosmetically it is a little scratched up but runs quite well at 220,000 miles.

I was curious if it was possible to trade this in for a van and how to going about doing so.

the easiest way is to trade the car for cash money then trade that for a van

I have a 2002 toyota camry solaro that is in decent shape.Cosmetically it is a little scratched up but runs quite well at 220,000 miles.

I was curious if it was possible to trade this in for a van and how to going about doing so.

If you need the van before you get rid of car (if it's your only transportation) then trading it in on a van is the way to go. You will get less money on a trade in verses a private sale, but sometimes it's still the best way to go. It can be your total down payment if you don't have cash. Go visit several car lots and when you find a van you like, ask them what they would give you on a trade in towards it. Clean your car really good before you go. If a car is dirty, you will get a lot less on trade in.

If you can afford to pay cash a van then you will save money. Buy the van and then sell the car on Craigs List. If you pay cash at a car lot, make sure you get the price for a lot less. Be prepared to walk away. If you love the vehicle, leave your number and say, "I'm going to look around some more before deciding, in the meantime, if you can meet my price, call me." You can always go back and pay their price, but 9 times out of 10 if you walk they will either stop you or call within the hour to meet your offer.

Hope that helps. I sell used cars so if you need any more info, let me know.

One more thing.... If you are buying a used vehicle...I don't care if the Pope is the salesman, get a mechanic to check it out. Also do a Google search on any recalls or complaints on the year of that vehicle. Some years of vehicles are known for certain problems and those vehicles are traded in or sold at auctions frequently. Watch for smoke, you need to drive it at a good speed and let it get warmed up to see how it does. If you smell antifreeze check the heads or actually, don't buy it. If the car lot won't let you take it to a mechanic you trust, don't buy it. I tell everyone who buys a car from me to take it to their mechanic. You can have auto zone run codes for free during test drive. No dummy lights do not mean no codes. A lot of used car lots clear the codes but don't fix the problem. Same advice for CL. Good luck.