Looking to trade my 2011 honda crv for a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Last week I got my Suv interior cleaned from a guy in tuscon out of his house

I'm I the tucson/vail area at the moment

It was sprayed down with chemicals and leather cleaned too

Ever since this happened I have been feeling unwell since im sensitive to chemicals/toxins and mold as i mentioned in other threads

The Kelly blue book is about 4-5k

Car is is running in very good condition 188k miles going strong

And I have the California registration handy but lost the title while was in Florida

Is there a way to get this vehicle traded in for a decent used van that is more spacious than my current setup?

Thank you

It is of course unknown if you can find a place that will take it as a trade-in and also have a van you are willing to accept.

But realize this: Your car is not ruined, it just needs to be cleaned again with cleaning agents that do not bother you.

I understand your issue, you are not willing to drive it around and do the search yourself. But unless you find someone who will drive you around town it is going to mean hiring a company that uses eco friendly, cleaning agents suitable for chemically sensitive individuals. If you cannot do that then you need to leave the doors and windows open for at least several days. Then mask and glove up, rent a steam cleaner and tackle the job yourself or hire someone who, under your supervision, carefully rinses all surfaces with clean water, the washes all surfaces using only cleaning agents you can tolerate. Then it gets well rinsed a final time with clean water. Then another round of leaving the car open for it to dry out. The headliner will be the tricky part if it is fabric. Hard surfaces are easy, car seats are easy if not cloth covered. Carpets are not overly difficult to clean using a steam cleaner.

You can fix this issue yourself with or without help so do not panic over it. But do try to get your money back from that company. They need to seriously consider a change of cleaning products.

And quit procrastinating about getting the title issue resolved. No one is going to want it as a trade in without that title in your hand.

Last edited:
It's very important to get the title, as the previous poster mentioned. Most dealers and individuals won't touch a car without valid title in hand. If someone was offering you a van in trade, but didn't have a a title, would you accept that trade?

Once you do get the title, dealers will pay you pennies for trade in value, so it's best to seek a private party to trade with. Maybe place Craigslist/Facebook/OfferUp/etc adds and be flexible with what offers come up.

Although I do wonder how you avoid the replacement vehicle also being unacceptable to your sensitivities? What I mean is, the van might require you to thoroughly clean it just like your current vehicle requires, and then you be back in the same position.

Hope you find a van!

You kinda "buried the lede" there on not having the title. Better get that taken care of first. If you're the legit owner, it should be possible to get the paperwork replaced. If that's not possible, then no, you won't be able to trade it in, to any legitimate dealer or for any vehicle you could live with.

Agree with Maki that there are less drastic options than selling the car.

Chances are, Davsey, that what's gonna make your life better is a lot of small steps taken by you, not big dramatic changes that depend on someone else. It doesn't really matter what state you're in or what car you're in. That's not what's gonna fix your life.

You have an excellent vehicle and, as you've mentioned in the past, a Section 8 voucher and parents who are willing to pitch in with expenses. Do you know how many people would give their eye teeth for that?

Maybe a little less focus on what you can't do (you've already explored that) and a little more on what you can do (even if it's hard and doesn't get you every single thing you want). Like for example taking responsibility for being careful to limit your chemical exposure when you purchase services, since you know this is an issue for you.

Pick a place (or roam if you can realistically afford it), pick a strategy, settle in, and start working at it one little step at a time. There really isn't any other way that works.

Good luck -- or should I say, make your good luck?!

Dealers in California will take a car without the "pink slip"/title. It is a simple matter for them to look up who owns the car and verify you are that person and fill out the proper paperwork.

The majority of cleaning products used are toxic, especially to those chemically sensitive. In hindsight you should have told them to only use a natural, fragrance free cleaner or just soap and water.

On the positive side, you've been talking about getting a different larger vehicle for some time now so this will push you to make that move.

Last edited:
Dealers in California will take a car without the "pink slip"/title. It is a simple matter for them to look up who owns the car and verify you are that person and fill out the proper paperwork.

The majority of cleaning products used are toxic, especially to those chemically sensitive. In hindsight you should have told them to only use a natural, fragrance free cleaner or just soap and water.

On the positive side, you've been talking about getting a different larger vehicle for some time now so this will push you to make that move.
Appreciate it tradesman,

Will soap and water get the chemicals out

Or too late?
Thank you

You will probably need to let the chemical smell dissipate over time. Baking soda can help absorb odors as does Zeolite which comes in many forms and products.
It will also depend on where the smell is coming from. Any hard surface can be washed with soap and water. You could also try fragrance free baby wipes.
Water is a universal solvent, but it won't necessarily remove the chemical smell.

It was sprayed down with chemicals and leather cleaned
In addition to what others have written: when I bought my van (used), the dealer had cleaned and had used some sort of silicone spray inside and out to make all the black plastic look shiny. That stuff did give me a headache. It is designed not to come off easily, so removing it required at least three separate scrubs (and rinses) with a strong detergent solution and a scrub brush, plus lots of airing out. I got rid of 90% of it; the rest evaporated over time. It’s been a good vehicle; was worth the effort.

If you’re sensitive to chemicals, you should do your own cleaning; only way to be sure what products are used.

You would be very lucky to find a reliable van for $4k-5k in this market.

They're asking that much for '80s and '90s vans.

You may trade for a lot of problems ($$).

You've been coast-to-coast in a reliable vehicle but it may be very risky to do a lot of traveling in an old van that may leave you stranded.

Last edited:
You would be very lucky to find a reliable van for $4k-5k in this market.

They're asking that much for '80s and '90s vans.

You may trade for a lot of problems ($$).

You've been coast-to-coast in a reliable vehicle but it may be very risky to do a lot of traveling in an old van that may leave you stranded.
I was going to respond with a terse:
* "Nonsense! and Nincompoopery!",
but realized that could seem to contradict my 'offer an alternative' philosophy.
For example, this 2002 high-top is live-aboard ready and fits your RequirementsStatement:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/kent-2002-ford-econoline-explorer/7548385858.html.
Asking seven grand, offer five cash.
But first, give it a good sniff.
And you saw this live-aboard ready high-top, right?:
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/gales-creek-1996-hd-ford-club-van/7541759970.html.
Asking three grand, offer two cash.
Or perhaps:
* "Balderdash!".

LOL... You missed the, "Engine noise/needs engine work" ($$$) on the 2002 Ford. Not surprising with 168,000 miles on it.

And they still have the nerve to ask $7k for it. That's used car dealers for ya.

The wheelchair van has 318,000 miles on it!! And it's been for sale going on 3 weeks now.

I wonder why, since it's in Portland where there should be plenty of potential buyers?

So if your advice to the OP (who is not mechanically inclined and has limited funds) is to buy a van like one of the above, then I'll return the "Nonsense, nincompoopery" back at ya.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Just not very likely.

PS: Here's one closer (the OP is in the Tucson area) that sounds a little better. It's 'cheaper' except it just needs a few things. Savvy buyers might research the brand/year a bit and might discover that the later model Dodges had quite a few problems with engine computers. It's been for sale going on a month now:

https://sierravista.craigslist.org/cto/d/cochise-ram-cargo-van-2003-attn/7539426651.html
PS: I like the part in the ad that says it would be good for transporting workers. Even though it has only 2 seats.

Last edited: