tractor trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
seriously considering buying a big truck trailer fill it with my stuff and hire a tractor and driver to pull it to some land in the southwest. put it on stands cut some windows and build some steps. done

What about insulation, heating, air conditioning, bathroom facilities, cooking facilities, lighting and other electrical facilities...? Note you need to walk 48 or so feet from one end to another--while a square house containing the same square footage wouldn't require a trip more than 20 feet.

I had some kind of same idea when i examined a private railroad car on the back of a amtrak in DC. Private truck hauled hotel on wheels, see the usa, leave the driving to us, maid service. something like that.

PT, look at some of Adrians posts. He doesn't eat so he doesn't need a bathroom. Heating and AC, never had em, don't want em. 48 ft. he walked further than that, uphill both ways, in the snow when he was in juvie. Lighting, he's been in the dark all his life. :cool:

Before anyone does this, make sure that it is permissible. I wanted to put a container on a piece of land to store toys. It was not allowed.

There's some people near Longview, Wa that are building with 4 containers. Wish I could remember their blog.
A friend has one for a shop for crafting small wood things.

"PT, look at some of Adrians posts. He doesn't eat so he doesn't need a bathroom. Heating and AC, never had em, don't want em. 48 ft. he walked further than that, uphill both ways, in the snow when he was in juvie. Lighting, he's been in the dark all his life."
And I am still in the dark but got my Ribeye ready to roast with fingerling potatoes and garlic butter on top. I have lived in San Francisco since 1956 when i was a young boy no one I knew had a AC and "I pass out wool sweaters (irish) wool in the winter" worked in HVAC for many years. Too Many people with too much money wanting to control their environment too much. Owl you are the "go to guy" if you can take a compliment see it for what it is.
I am an overworked retired flea market vender/pawnshop employee supporting a non supporting wife and 2 sons.

OK Wagonman....now you're talking!! I've had this same idea for years...(but I'm working on my own crazy dream right now...and it's very parallel in nature!)

anyways...

I thought about using a furniture trailer, like the moving companies use, as they have ALOT more room then the basic van trailer you have in the picture. Furniture trailers are built for maximum capacity, as furniture is light compared to most cargo, so you can pack so much more stuff into one over a freight van...especially as the furniture van has the belly that a freight trailer lacks.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nes_moving_van_Superior_Township_Michigan.JPG

and actually...as you can see, these trailers often have racks built under them for even more stowage. You could put holding tanks, or lockers for bicycles and lawn junk under there. (I thought about having a deck that could slide out from underneith once you were parked and situated. Slide it out into place, set some sort of adjustable stabilizing legs under it, set and pin the stairs and railings into their respective holes, and you're in business! Naturally, there'd be a nice man-door in the side of the trailer too. Oh....and don't forget to set up your awning over it too. Once these chores are done, then the deck chairs and BBQ are brought out and put to work...doing their all-important jobs!!)

Do you know that these furniture vans also have HARDWOOD FLOORS in 'em??? I've known household goods movers that polish these floors!!

Another thing is that there are trailers that are fully insulated, for hauling perishables in 'em, and even have heater/refrigeration units on them too. Unfortunately, though, these are nearly all in the freight van style. There are some furniture vans that come like this, but they're kinda rare. (never hurts to look for one though.

The way I figured, though, is since I'm already gonna be framing up walls, building cabinets, and plumbing and wiring, then insulating is no biggie. You'd be building it as you would any other house-type structure...except that the outside is already done!

I'd try and get a 48 or 53 footer. I'd have my bedroom up front in the nose deck, much like a 5th wheel camper is. Then I'd have a HUGE open area for the living room area, then my kitchen would be built on a wall that goes from side to side, and the bathroom would be behind that.
OK, (here's the cool part)...then I'd have the last 16 feet set up as my mobile garage!! You could stick a small car in there, and have a small boat suspended about that! Hang bicycles and kayaks on the walls...whatever!!

Consider this...how many large contracting companies use old semi trailers for mobile offices.......SAME THING!! (only nicer!!)

Too bad I haven't put much thought into this....huh!!?

Patrick, a few years back, we were heading up the Alaskan Highway through Fort Nelson in Northern British Columbia. I had one of those magic moments where I am in plain view of amazing genius, and the wife looks at the source of my stupification, rolls here eyes, and correctly noted that I am a fool, LOL.

Before my eyes, the smartest man in the village had parked his home. It was a custom built, TWO STORY furniture trailer. Not only that, but it was wrapped in housewrap, with lots of cool windows, a shingled gable roof, and a wood stove. Must of been 16 ft. tall! If it had cedar siding on, it would be game over, no way to ever build a cooler home on this planet.

The back story is interesting. Due to all kinds of factors, including the government and the big business ownership of most available land, extreme remoteness, and the extraction industries booming, housing is extremely expensive in towns like that. It can also be unavailable. Whitehorse, the capitol of the Yukon, has serious issues with RVers and Vandwellers trying to survive the winter while camping in town, most are roughing it since they have no choice, housing is either brutally expensive or unavailable. The two story trailer was one incredible solution to the problem.

Can't answer that but I did find a small lot with a burned down house septic in place and a fairly deep well. with a gravel road about 1/2 mile from paved. would not take much to hire a guy with a tractor to pull a box truck that was registered and plop it down. Put a bunch of panels on top and go 100% electric and off grid. I know it sounds like a dream but I am a dreamer.

Wagoneer, consider a 20 ft. container, the walls can be cut for windows without causing structure damage, they can be hauled easily. A friend has one on his lot, had a concrete pad built, used some huge tie downs, has insulated it all on the cheap.

A freight trailer (dry trailer) or even a refrigerated trailer will not handle any changes to it's structure. You can find containers for sale on ebay or online pretty cheap.

I thought about the structural aspects just never had the chance to examine one up close. Guy I worked for has a friend who buys and sell them (containers)

bobj said:
A freight trailer (dry trailer) or even a refrigerated trailer will not handle any changes to it's structure.

No need to change the trailer's structural integrity...we're just talking about framing a wall or two on the inside. Sounds like EXTRA support if ya ask me!

I've got ALOT of miles dragging these things all over North America, and I know my idea is quite feasible!

westriver said:
Before my eyes, the smartest man in the village had parked his home. It was a custom built, TWO STORY furniture trailer. Not only that, but it was wrapped in housewrap, with lots of cool windows, a shingled gable roof, and a wood stove. Must of been 16 ft. tall! If it had cedar siding on, it would be game over, no way to ever build a cooler home on this planet.

Pics man.....I need PICTURES!!!!!!

How bright can you be if you live in Fort Nelson BC what a sad place, I am with your wife on this one.

Other positive things about a tractor trailer, if you buy one that is ready to be decommissioned, they are very inexpensive, other then getting it to wherever you want, especially if you are out in the boonies. My brother has four of these linked into his business and uses them as storage sheds for his product, tools and materials. He debated putting up a shed but went this way because it was cheaper but mostly because his rates/taxes did not increase.

Ok this has already been done.... I know, my grandparents did it years ago.

When I was growing up my grandparents lived in a mobile home on a half acre of land in the country... My uncle worked as a mechanic for Ben E Keith Produce company...For my grandparents, he bought two of the boxes off of the back of some trucks they were retiring. The truck numbers were 806 & 807. Which is what we continued to call them. They parked the Boxes end to end, with the roll up doors facing each other. My Grandfather then roofed over and floored the valley between the two truck beds creating a natural entrance hall. They removed the roll up doors, framed them in and added regular house doors. The only hole they cut was to mount air conditioners. In one truck bed they created a bedroom/sitting/tv area. It the other box they build a bathroom/kitchen/dining area. My Grandfather did a nice job making a mini home out of those two truck beds. When my grandfather retired they sold the big mobile home and bought a travel trailer. The liked to stay in south Texas in the winter. But they could leave the trailer in south Texas and come home any time they wanted or needed to because they could always stay in 806 & 807. That was back in the mid 70's. I know those two truck beds are still on the property today. I don't know if the people that own that property still use them but I would bet they do.

ice_maiden said:
When I was growing up my grandparents lived in a mobile home on a half acre of land in the country... My uncle worked as a mechanic for Ben E Keith Produce company...For my grandparents, he bought two of the boxes off of the back of some trucks they were retiring. The truck numbers were 806 & 807.

Pics man....we need PICTURES!!! :p :D

That is very cool indeed I am getting a lot of discourage from the big rig forum, seems like they all live in a box. keep em coming