Tools Onboard - Question for full-timers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael11

Reaction score
Folks, like the subject says, my query is for full-timers about tools. What tools do you find indispensable? What tools did you start with but later jettisoned? What tools would you recommend for someone without a ton of mechanical/vehicular knowledge?

I currently run a Toyota Highlander across the Northeastern US. Once I reach my "destination area" I'm mostly on dirt roads and boondocking for camping vacations. Usually I sleep in the back, sometimes I bring a small tent. Tools I currently carry are a few hand tools, fluids, and spare parts for those things on the vehicle I know how to fix (belts, hoses, fuses, flats, etc). I am fairly obsessive about keeping on top of routine maintenance since I am not a talented shade-tree mechanic. For my camping setup I carry a long-handled shovel, axe, bow saw, hammer & assorted nails, rope & bungees, plus some tubular webbing and carabiners. When I go late fall or early spring I add a snow shovel, snow brushes, etc.

My plan is to upgrade the Highlander to a van and go full-time on the road in the next 2 years (after becoming debt-free). I would prefer to avoid cities if at all possible and stick to small towns, secondary roads, and boondocking as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

In addition to most of what you already have is a tow strap rated at twice my vehicle weight and a snatch strap also at twice my vehicle weight. I can get someone out or someone can get me out. I also carry a hydraulic jack in addition to the stock jack.

I use Ryobi 18 volt one battery system powered lights, fan, vacuum, impact and drill charged with a vehicle charger while I drive. Considering a power station possibly to charge and run other electrical items. Dual use items and the large 9 Amp battery are important when space is and old age are problems.

Buy one of the sets with metric and standard sizes of sockets, wrenches, all types of screw driver bits, hex drives and even some drill bits in it. That way everything is stored neatly. Also be sure to get a torque wrench in case you need to change out your tire.

Sockets definitely. And a deep socket set comes in handy. Did anyone mention a volt meter?

Code reader. Vacuum gauge. Mityvac pressure tester. Fuel pressure tester. Ratcheting closed-end wrenches. Extra clamps.Easy-outs.

For me, the downside to being in such a small van is that I can't organize my tools. I have one Foot Locker full of tools mainly hand tools of various types. I also have a code reader multimeter etc etc etc. The hard part is finding what I need when I need it I need a better organization system but unfortunately I just don't have the room. That being said I should have everything I need to handle almost any problem unless I need an engine rebuild which I'm just not going to do anyway