Motorcycling and Nomads: Who's doing it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Van Man Dave said:
Thanks for your input HDR! You make some very good points for people to consider. I know you like to forge some rough terrain, as I do, but I'm talking forest roads/BLM roads (off highway) riding. Not the true sense of off-road (NO roads).

In my case, this 125cc bike has more clearance, larger tires,more power and generally much more capable than the Honda Ruckus scooter it replaced. You might actually be surprised the places that little 50cc scooter would go. 

Since the bike is primarily used for grocery runs, errands, etc..  I am not planning any intense "off road" situations, otherwise a skid plate would be in order. Only the usual forest and BLM roads that I frequent (gravel, dirt and 2-track). 

Having grown up riding enduros and dirt bikes from a young age, the "exposed" engine is not an issue for me at all. I've never damaged an engine or exhaust riding on rough roads. It would take quite a large obstacle to cause that kind of damage to a bike and I don't see huge obstacles like that on forest and BLM roads. 

Have you ever sat on a grom? The riding position is quite comfortable actually, nothing like a crotch rocket. The handlebars are Pro-Taper Motocross bars (some of the strongest made).  There are actually a lot of people doing way more technical "off road" riding on these bikes than I ever will. If we catch up at the next RTR, you should take it for a spin, you may be impressed!!

Anyway, back on the OP's topic:  I really enjoyed the Honda Ruckus 50cc I had previously, but this little bike is way more fun and powerful, easier to load and the gas mileage is insane (100+ mpg). 
I do plan on building a better hitch carrier in the near future. The second hand Harbor Freight one I currently have has seen better days and doesn't quite fit the bike wheelbase as desired.  That being said, I really enjoy this bike, on and off the pavement,  especially after riding a 50cc scooter!

:D

This is all true. I work on them like all the time and even raced a one in the WERA grom cup. They're fine for doing this stuff.

wonder if anyone is full-timing on their grom yet? 

for a laugh.....

3564a32a3ab9f342aaf421f09107bd37.jpg

bardo said:
This is all true. I work on them like all the time and even raced a one in the WERA grom cup. They're fine for doing this stuff.

wonder if anyone is full-timing on their grom yet? 

for a laugh.....

3564a32a3ab9f342aaf421f09107bd37.jpg

OMG, turbo???  That grom looks like TOO much fun!!!  I'd love to hear some of your Grom stories bardo, I'm sure you've got some good ones  ;)

I've used a more sedate ride, a '75 Honda CT90 Trail. I've hauled it both on the back of my 3/4-T Dodge and also inside (a little tight while living in the van,too). Nice grocery getter and for exploring but not fast enough for the highway. Years ago, on a Class B Dodge I used a little '89 Honda Elite scooter while I was at Slab City and it was really fun but didn't handle rough roads well at all. Then I got the CT.

Right now the CT is in the middle of 125M ATC motor swap I've been trying to complete. I also have a '06 Yamaha XT225 that will do highway speeds. Not sure which one I'll keep when I hit the road in Sept.

Cool looking Grom. I'll bet it will run like a scalded dog.

They are 125cc Ice Bear clones of the 1970 Honda CT70 that I had as a kid. Honda no longer makes the CT70, so I had to get these clones from China. They have real hydraulic front suspension (unlike my old CT70, which just had springs up front.) They also have little hydraulic disk brakes up front rather than the drum brakes of old. The handlebars fold down for travel, just like my Honda did, plus they have both side stands and a centerstand, to make servicing the chain easier, unlike my old Honda. They have CDI electronic ignition, so no more points to file and a 12v electrical system with electric start. They have a 4 speed transmission, which is 1 more gear than my old Honda 70 had. An automatic clutch, makes it easier for my DW, being a new rider, to learn on. They are very quiet too, perfect for campground use. I bought the pair for less than one Grom - a lot less. They only cost me about $1,100 each, shipped to my door. License and registration was a breeze too and they only cost $99 a year to insure the pair! The quality is not up to modern Japanese Grom standards, but I'd say the Chinese are up to mid 90's tech.

28cir6a.jpg

Here they are in the back of my truck with a loading ramp I built in between. I used to just ride them up into the back of the truck.
2vxltw0.jpg

Unfortunately now that my truck broke and I got rid of it (I'm going FT in a MH) I don't have any way to take them with me. I wish I could keep them, but I'll be putting them up for sale soon. They have just been sitting under my porch for a couple years and are rusting a bit with all the rain. I'll be cleaning them up, replacing the batteries, etc., but they are not even broke in yet, with only a hundred or so miles on the clock as I was saving them for when I go FT. There's no turbo like that crazy Grom, but I did put bigger carbs, air filters and added a couple teeth to the CS sprocket so they will now go a little faster.  I hit an indicated 110 kph (about 68 mph) sitting upright just as a test once, which is as fast as I will ever go on this little bike. That's way too fast for safety, IMHO. I just wanted to see what it would do once, so cruising 35-45 mph is a piece of cake. The manual says they get 80-120 mpg and I don't doubt it.  

jt0v36.jpg

Chip

Monkey Bikes....cool. What do those clones weigh? Unless you'll be towing a dinghy, wouldn't those fit on a rear carrier on a big 'ol MH? Use a small pickup for a tow'd and put the bikes in the bed. Or maybe a front mounted carrier. Be a shame not to take them.

My mouth feels funny...

I think I started salivating as I was looking at the pictures of the CT70 clones!

The first 'motorbike' I ever rode by myself was a Honda Trail 50, and I was 8 years old. It was my cousins (plural) . Then both of them got the Trail 70s or 90s, cant be sure now, from Suzuki and Honda.

Those were BIG bikes compared to the 50, and they could ride on the roads, legally! (legal age at the time was 14 for small motorcycles that were street legal)

Anyway, we had a lot of fun with those things!

Fast forward to 20 years ago, at Sturgis, I got to briefly ride a Chinese clone of a Honda Trail 50, or whatever the proper name was. It was called a 'Panda' or something like that.  What a rush of childhood memories!

Anyway those little bikes are cool...if you post them for sale I might be interested...maybe....it depends on finances and such.

slow2day said:
Monkey Bikes....cool.  What do those clones weigh?  Unless you'll be towing a dinghy, wouldn't those fit on a rear carrier on a big 'ol MH?  Use a small pickup for a tow'd and put the bikes in the bed.  Or maybe a front mounted carrier. Be a shame not to take them.

They only weigh in at 155lbs each. I plan on towing my Chevy Cobalt behind the MH, 4 wheels down as a toad. 

I like the idea of towing a small pickup with bikes in the bed, it beats buying a trailer for both bikes and car. Right now I'm saving up for a used MH, as my diesel truck fiasco set me back about $10k away from my goal. So I really can't afford buy another truck right now.

I could compromise and keep one bike mounting it on the front of the MH, I would just be worried about airflow to the radiator around the bike. Now If I had one of those old step through CT-90-110s then the radiator wouldn't be as starved for air. I saw one mounted on the front of a MH a few months back. It may have been a diesel pusher though (I didn't think to look), while I will be getting a front engine gasser. 

I've got a few months before I need to make a decision.

Thanks for the input!

Chip

tx2sturgis said:
My mouth feels funny...

I think I started salivating as I was looking at the pictures of the CT70 clones!

The first 'motorbike' I ever rode by myself was a Honda Trail 50, and I was 8 years old. It was my cousins (plural) . Then both of them got the Trail 70s or 90s, cant be sure now, from Suzuki and Honda.

Those were BIG bikes compared to the 50, and they could ride on the roads, legally! (legal age at the time was 14 for small motorcycles that were street legal)

Anyway, we had a lot of fun with those things!

Fast forward to 20 years ago, at Sturgis, I got to briefly ride a Chinese clone of a Honda Trail 50, or whatever the proper name was. It was called a 'Panda' or something like that.  What a rush of childhood memories!

Anyway those little bikes are cool...if you post them for sale I might be interested...maybe....it depends on finances and such.

Suzuki used to make a 2-stroke RV-90.  Here's what they look like: 

They now make a Chinese clone of this bike too, with the same 125cc engine in my bikes. http://www.motobuys.com/st125-trv90.html

It's a sweet bike but the price is about twice what mine cost. They would be nice to play with in the desert though.

Chip

sushidog said:
I could compromise and keep one bike mounting it on the front of the MH, I would just be worried about airflow to the radiator around the bike.

I don't think that small of a bike would restrict flow enough to hurt. One year I mounted the spare at the front of my '86 Dodge Class B because my scooter was on a carrier at the back. No problems,even in the heat of summer in the mountains. I didnt use a cover on the spare, so some air went through it plus it was mounted about 4" forward of the grille. It only obstructed about 1/3 of the intake area, so the rad got plenty of air. Larger trucks have some pretty hefty cooling systems.

You could give it a try and it did prove to be adversely affecting cooling, you would have no problem at all selling it at the next campground or RV park!

Okay, I probably shouldn't even be on this thread, but am taking the chance of being banned. I have a foldable mini-scooter w/seat. I plan on taking it with me. It should take me 8 miles with the battery set up I have and I have an extra to bring me back from wherever I should go. Just a thought for others who can't have a full-on motorcycle. Here's a pic: https://www.electricscooterparts.com/ezip400scooterparts.html Since we're on the subject, is there any reason someone should not travel with one? Not meaning to hijack your thread. here's a vid:

Xfile that's a great idea and I love the little scooter. Looks like loads of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty cool. I would only question its utility as I'm sure many cops would not be happy seeing that cruising down the shoulder of the road or even on a sidewalk. Even if legal in a certain community, say in a bike lane, I'm sure you'd get rousted anyway. As a motorcycle rider I used to get pulled over all the time, just to check for vehicle inspection sticker, insurance and motorcycle endorsement on my license. They might overlook a kid on one, as that doesn't appear out of the ordinary, but If I were cop and saw an adult on one I would suspect they lost their license - possibly due to a DUI, so would stop and question you hoping to find drugs, etc.

Here's something that might not arouse their suspicion as it looks pretty innocuous to me - more stealthy (and with up to a 12 mi. range.) https://boostedboards.com/board/

Chip

highdesertranger said:
I see several problems riding that bike off road.  IMO if you are going to do off highway and highway a much better option is a dual sport.   highdesertranger

I've had dual sports.  The intersection between DS that are under 250lbs and fuel injected is very slim.  I think only the yamaha xt250 since 2012 is both.  

My intended uses:
  • scouting out camping spots
  • goofing around, pleasure riding
  • no single track or technical stuff
  • no highway
Other machines that are both lightweight and FI:

• 2012+ zuma (both 50cc and 125cc)
  • grom / kawi as discussed above
I want something I can put on a receiver hitch and move around easily.  I love my current machine but it is 500#.  I also have a couple of toy chinese scoots but neither are injected;  I want that for the huge altitude changes I see in my future.  I'll probably take one of the carbed scoots with me and see how well it works, then pick up a zuma if FI turns out to be critical for my uses.  I hate jacking with carbs.

XFILE36 said:
I have a foldable mini-scooter w/seat.  I plan on taking it with me.  ...  Since we're on the subject, is there any reason someone should not travel with one?  Not meaning to hijack your thread. 

2 wheels == good, IMO.  :)  

Might have to charge the scoot off an inverter unless someone makes an upconverter for charging 24v (agm? gel?) from 12v.  

The kid in the video is hilarious!  So serious about his review.

frater secessus said:
I've had dual sports.  The intersection between DS that are under 250lbs and fuel injected is very slim.  I think only the yamaha xt250 since 2012 is both.  

My intended uses:
  • scouting out camping spots
  • goofing around, pleasure riding
  • no single track or technical stuff
  • no highway
Other machines that are both lightweight and FI:

• 2012+ zuma (both 50cc and 125cc)
  • grom / kawi as discussed above
I want something I can put on a receiver hitch and move around easily.  I love my current machine but it is 500#.  I also have a couple of toy chinese scoots but neither are injected;  I want that for the huge altitude changes I see in my future.  I'll probably take one of the carbed scoots with me and see how well it works, then pick up a zuma if FI turns out to be critical for my uses.  I hate jacking with carbs.

It's way easier than you might think. You screw the needle in as you go up.

I was assuming an elevation change of 8000' or similar would require teardown for rejetting and not just adjustment of the existing setup.

I am fine with retuning scooters, bikes, 2 stroke engines, etc, between winter and summer for example. I have never been away from approx 550' ASL with the same bike, so perhaps my concern is unfounded.

I bought my '06 XT225 recently and passed on the newer injected 250s as I hope to be cruising the TAT and/or the CDT and don't want to chance being stranded with a bad fuel pump. Yamaha had trouble on some of their 250s. Price was a factor also.

The Phillips carb bowl screws were replaced with 4 Allen-head screws and it's really not that much of a pain to swap out the main jet.

My KLR was jetted for 6000 feet when I bought it, so I've never changed it. I live at 7500 and regularly travel over passes as high as 11,500 in Colorado. I've also ridden it to sea level in California. I've never really seen a need to change it. Never stalls or has a significant power loss at altitude and seems to run fine at lower elevations also. Maybe I just got lucky and it's at the sweet spot as far as jetting. For a full time traveler that goes up and down in altitiude a lot that might a notion to consider. Unless of course you just like playing with carbs constantly.

They've raced pikes peak for years with carbs. Having them would be better than simple EFI that has no 02 sensor.

XFILE36 said:
Okay, I probably shouldn't even be on this thread, but am taking the chance of being banned.....

{snip}

Not meaning to hijack your thread.

Absolutely this is welcome on the thread...as far as I'm concerned...

In fact, in my opening remarks I welcome thread drift: motorcycles, scooters, ATV's and whatever else is a broad topic...covering just about anything with 2, 3 or 4 wheels and a motor that you would bring along when camping, RVing, vanning, etc. Not really about automobiles per-se, but hey if you got a Jeep or Samurai, or heck even a Hummer, and its fun, share it!

Trailers, hitch racks, roof mounted, fold-up, whatever, as far as carrying them too.

For me, it's all about learning what is working for the guys and gals out there combining the passion of life on the road, with life in the saddle.....

:cool:

Latest posts