Toaster trips breaker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimindenver said:
I would suggest this as it comes with the fuse holder and two fuses in case you blow one. Personally I prefer to see a switch there too but you can interrupt the power by removing the fuse if needed.
Did you mean to put a link to "this"?

jimindenver said:
Also I have seen breakers be able to handle short runs at their full capacity but long runs at even near capacity will cause them to pop. This can happen more and more with even less long term current as it seems to wear them out the more they pop.

Breakers, when they are tripped for the first time, lose 15% of their rated capacity. Once tripped they can trip at 85% of the rated load. Lets say a 10 amp breaker, which has been tripped once, will now trip near 8.5 amps. Each time it trips, the the breakers ability to handle a rated capacity is hindered. After several repeated trips it is time to replace the breaker.
Of course, this is for house style breakers like Square D.

I have to agree. They can also get just old.

I had a customer with a 1800 watt PSW inverter and a properly sized breaker on 2/0 that she pushes daily. Her surface mount breaker started popping after a year.

I had another with a 45 amp converter on a 50 amp breaker and it would pop after a few minutes. My options were a fuse holder or a 60 amp breaker with heavier wire to match.

MJRW said:
DC Breaker

Inverter

Ran blender on it with no problem.
Don't have amp meter.
I have used those breakers before, like the one you linked, they trip way below their limit.  Put a good fuse in its place you will have no problem.  Toasters don't have a surge, it should be no problem unless you have some of the wires inside touching, which does happen if you cram large bagels or something in there and it catches a wire. I'm 90% sure the breaker is bad tho, I stopped using those a while ago.  I have had some 150 amp circuit breakers trip at 40 amps.

:thumbsup:  I'll be replacing it with the inline fuse jimindenver linked.