AC wire size?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOfYork

Reaction score
Here is what I will be running on AC from time to time.

5,000 BTU window air condition (when on shore power or generator only)
1200 Watt Insta Pot
1000 Watt microwave
1500 Watt hair dryer

I will be using 15 amp AC circuit breakers

I also have a 2,000 watt / 4,000 watt surge inverter that will be used when not on shore power

All wire runs from the AC panel will be less than 15 feet.

I'm thinking 12/3 AWG wire should be fine.

Does that sound right?

12/2 has three wires.......Black White and a copper ground...........and is protected with 20 amp breaker

Whatever size you decide on I would get stranded wire. Not your run of the mill solid core wire. I would never use solid core wire in a mobile application. Highdesertranger

Yeah the RV builders use romex type wire (solid copper) but it almost never passes next to sharp metal edges, it's usually routed along and through wooden walls, floors, ceilings, and shelves, etc. 

Usually. 

But for a DIY van or cargo trailer build I much prefer round portable or industrial power cord. Very flexible, easy to work with, resistant to chemicals and solvents. Easily worked thru small openings, curved wall panels, and fits perfectly in the round or oval clamps you typically use at breaker panels and outlet boxes. 

Available in a variety of wire sizes and number of conductors.

I have looked everywhere for 12/2 w ground in a marine grade stranded copper wire and can't find it. I can find 12/3 stranded marine grade wire though.

Anyone have a link to the stranded 12/2 with ground?

I see a few people stated I just need 14/2 but my plans are to be able to upgrade a breaker from 15 amp to 20 Amp if I ever need to without having to replace the wiring.

He said marine grade. I used Ancor Marine round triplex but 12 gauge is not in stock at amazon at the moment West Marine shows it in stock. Highdesertranger

12/3 is a black wire, a white wire and copper ground.

If you want marine grade stranded copper, it only comes in a flat sheath.

Buy by the foot for the length of your run, instead of buying 50 ft or 25 ft and having excess.

Both links' About Us are the same content. Not sure why there is a slight price difference on the two web storefronts to the same source.

$0.92/ft here
https://www.bestboatwire.com/products/12-3-awg-marine-grade-wire-tinned-boat-cable-flat-by-the-ft

$0.98/ft here
I buy all of my electrical cabling from genuinedealz.com. They do custom cables, ready to install, with the necessary connectors, or no connector, that I require for each cable. They ship quickly.

https://www.genuinedealz.com/collec...-wire-tinned-copper-boat-cable-flat-by-the-ft

OK, so I guess I was right the first time with using 12/3 stranded, I can find that easily. I was trying to find 12/2 w ground that was mentioned by others. Could not find that in stranded anywhere.

Only 12/2 w ground I could find was solid copper common house wiring that I don't want to use.

wayne94, thanks for the link to a boat place. I don't know why I did not think of just going to a boat parts supply. I do live in south florida and there are a ton of them within just a few miles.

I'm noticing that most of the marine grade AC wire does not have a ground wire. Can anyone tell me why it does not?

It comes both way 2 wire or 3 wire. I got the three wire. The wire insulation is color coded White, Black, and Green just like standard 120VAC. The difference beside being stranded wire is the ground is not bare but insulated. Just look around you will find it. Ancor calls it Triplex and comes in round or flat. Highdesertranger