Toaster trips breaker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJRW

Reaction score
I have a small 1000 watt toaster oven I thought would be ok to use off my 1200W (2400W surge) inverter. But after about 7 or 8 seconds the 100 amp breaker (between inverter & 2 125 amp hr agm batteries at full charge) trips. Shouldn't I be able to run this?

Apparently not. A lot of these numbers are not as precise as one would hope and for supply seem to tend toward the rosy side. Such as my 2200w Honda generator, I would say more like 1900w for real. But there may be other things you can check. The breaker might be overly sensitive.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

lots of things to check here,

is the breaker a DC breaker or an AC breaker?
is the breaker one of those cheap ones for car audio?
is the inverter a cheap one like a Harbor freight?
have you tried another load on the breaker and inverter?
have you put a amp meter on anything to check the true draw?

highdesertranger

a blender is nothing like a toaster oven. heating anything with electricity is very inefficient and requires a huge amount of power.

so is that 1000 watt number the output of the oven or the input? look on the label for the input. what does it say?

highdesertranger

Label on back says only: AC120V  60Hz  1000W

What happens to the voltage at the battery when you turn it on? When voltage drops, the inverter will draw more amps, possibly well over 100 amps, which will pop the 100 amp breaker.

Wait. 1000W heating most likely puts inverter at maximum. That is over 100 amperes 12vdc. Plus, did you use a quality breaker or the cheap one from Amazon? Never mind, you have to spend at least 3 times that for a decent breaker. Go to Blue Sea dot com. I like fuses on DC circuits. Fuse protect wires. What size wire battery to inverter? How long one way?

Wire is 2 gauge from battery to inverter. Breaker is linked above in thread.

When I tried several different appliances on a Killowatt meter they all pulled more power than the wattage stated for that appliance. Handy device to take on shopping trips to try it plugging the appliance out the store before you take it home.

I have been known to take the Killowatt along to the Goodwill when shopping for bargains for van life.  people often get rid of toaster ovens and other countertop appliances, especially the ones that are a bit undersized and underpowered.

repeat what I posted above. Then get a quality Blue Sea fuse, or breaker if you must. You want 200A to protect that 2 awg cable.

Is this what you are referring to?
BS 200 amp breaker

I wish I could post a photo of my wiring, but I can't find how. This forum only asks for URL site.

Now I see how!
My electrical setup is exactly as Prowse's diagram.

Attachments

• Prowse wiring 1 .jpg
    Prowse wiring 1 .jpg
    36 KB · Views: 10
In the OP it states a 100 amp breaker but a 1000 watt inverter calls for 200 amp.

Also I have seen breakers be able to handle short runs at their full capacity but long runs at even near capacity will cause them to pop. This can happen more and more with even less long term current as it seems to wear them out the more they pop.

This is why I prefer fuses over breakers especially on larger amp circuits. You can get away with a breaker if you are protecting a wire on a over wired situation though. (think using and protecting 8 gauge when only 30 amps is expected)

Last thing is if you are only using this to make toast since I can't see long term use of a toaster oven on a small bank being practical, a inexpensive 700 watt two slice toaster doesn't really use a lot of power in the 3 or 4 minutes it takes to toast a few slices.

jimindenver said:
In the OP it states a 100 amp breaker but a 1000 watt inverter calls for 200 amp.

Also I have seen breakers be able to handle short runs at their full capacity but long runs at even near capacity will cause them to pop.  This can happen more and more with even less long term current as it seems to wear them out the more they pop.

This is why I prefer fuses over breakers especially on larger amp circuits. You can get away with a breaker if you are protecting a wire on a over wired situation though. (think using and protecting 8 gauge when only 30 amps is expected)

Last thing is if you are only using this to make toast since I can't see long term use of a toaster oven on a small bank being practical, a inexpensive 700 watt two slice toaster doesn't really use a lot of power in the 3 or 4 minutes it takes to toast a few slices.
So you would suggest removing the inverter wires from that middle 100amp breaker (referring to photo above) and connecting the 2 wires with perhaps this (link) Inline fuse?

{I use the oven for baking small items such as chicken nuggets, biscuits and cinn rolls, etc.}

I know people just love that Will guy but that is a crazy way to wire. there is a negative bus bar right there but there is three grounds connected to the controller, LOL, why? there needs to be a positive bus bar too.

the way the two breakers are mounted with a jumper, why it was done this way I have know idea? also the wire protection(breakers) should be as close to the power source(battery) as possible not close to the inverter.

I am curious is the breaker from the alternator how the power from the alternator is turned on and off? not the correct way. also that breaker needs to be as close to the starter battery/alternator as possible.

some DC breakers only offer protection in one direction. do those work both ways? that is why fuses are so good they work both ways. if done correctly you should only need one main fuse at the battery. you don't need fuses and breakers willy nilly all over.

at least he is not using speaker wire and lamp cord like he used to.

highdesertranger

No, HDR. A fuse is needed at any point a circuit changes to smaller awg. Fuses protect wires.

well I really didn't mean it like it sounded. I was referring to the picture. yes that is what the fuse panel is for. highdesertranger

MJRW said:
So you would suggest removing the inverter wires from that middle 100amp breaker (referring to photo above) and connecting the 2 wires with perhaps this (link) Inline fuse?

{I use the oven for baking small items such as chicken nuggets, biscuits and cinn rolls, etc.}

I would suggest this as it comes with the fuse holder and two fuses in case you blow one. Personally I prefer to see a switch there too but you can interrupt the power by removing the fuse if needed.