To store or toss??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graycurlsvanning

Reaction score
When starting out from a home or apartment, do most folks end up storing their belongings somewhere or do they simply get rid of it all? This probably isn't feasible for everyone as we may have certain items we want to keep for whatever reason. Where do people end up storing items? Thanks for the guidance.

I reserved a small trunk of irreplaceable sentimental items and important documents, which my brother is kind enough to store for me. I tried to re-purpose as much as I could to outfit the van. Everything else was given away or tossed. Setting the “keep” items aside first made getting rid of everything else easier, as I knew it wasn’t important enough to me to make the cut. I wasn’t concerned about having to replace expensive items if the van didn’t work out, as I knew that if/when I ended up back in a fixed dwelling it would be much smaller and simpler than my house, so paying for storage storage wasn’t worth it to me.

My mom is an artist and I don't want to get rid of her paintings and sculptures. They are some of the better memories of her. I was thinking that I could distribute them among family and friends until a time when I might get a fixed (I like that term, thanks) again. I have some art of my own, nothing special, and my daughters, which means a lot too. There are other things like photos (from the olden days...haha). But most things can go or be used for traveling. I moved here from a 1200 square foot house to a 600 square foot place so I am used to downsizing. It's amazing how you get used to it! Thanks for your help.

This is a topic that’s really personal. Items that we decorate our homes or gifts from others have sentimental value. If you can talk to family to store items is a great idea. Another idea is one I have seen on a few YouTube videos. In fact I even read this on an old post on this forum.
Put your stuff in storage. Then revisit it in 6-12 months. Then go through and maybe gift a few more items. Then repeat that. Of course your financial situation maybe a draw back. On one YouTube video the lady said after 13 months her opinion on her storage completely changed. She gifted and donated items to close her storage. If you find the nomadic life for you letting go will be much easier.

Most people that do this long term find storage just doesn’t work well. Giving away items to friends and family or donating to organizations to display are some options. Everything on this earth is temporary even your abilities, so enjoy them while you can and sharing them when possible makes it even better.

This is a topic that’s really personal. Items that we decorate our homes or gifts from others have sentimental value. If you can talk to family to store items is a great idea. Another idea is one I have seen on a few YouTube videos. In fact I even read this on an old post on this forum.
Put your stuff in storage. Then revisit it in 6-12 months. Then go through and maybe gift a few more items. Then repeat that. Of course your financial situation maybe a draw back. On one YouTube video the lady said after 13 months her opinion on her storage completely changed. She gifted and donated items to close her storage. If you find the nomadic life for you letting go will be much easier.
I was thinking that getting a storage near someone you know makes sense in case you desperately need something. But I can totally see how over time you would come to find you don't need much of it anyway...thanks!

That would be a great idea, but not really feasible. Two of them rent and the other I wouldn't dare ask, if you get me. I am thinking of asking her husband (my son in law) to help me set up the van when the time comes, but he is more easy going. He does amazing home repairs and car repairs! But they don't have much of a yard, and it's for their dogs. Plus my daughter most likely would worry about what the neighbors thought...haha.

When starting out from a home or apartment, do most folks end up storing their belongings somewhere or do they simply get rid of it all? This probably isn't feasible for everyone as we may have certain items we want to keep for whatever reason. Where do people end up storing items? Thanks for the guidance.
Until someone has tried this life for awhile and know they want to live it long term, I suggest they get a storage unit. It's not an easy life and it's definitely not for everybody.

...do most folks... get rid of it all...
We cannot answer for 'most folks'.
2003, my Very Significant Other got sick.
Within a week of diagnosis -- while selling everything -- we acquired a 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck and converted it to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle...
... and hit the road from Oregon with the vague goal of 'south'.
We are comfortable with less stuff.
We are functionally uneasy with just-in-case stuff stashed out of sight.
An aside:
We frequently house-sit.
During the orientation tour, we are consistently amazed at closed closets and random rooms piled with rarely-used stuff.
Does a stand-still house seem like an expensive mini-storage with a mortgage?

I am currently getting rid of items I don't need. It's funny how things collect, like spare parts for cars and trucks you no longer own. just to name a collection or two. even now that I need to downsize, I am still catching myself thinking I need to save that, when I don't need it at all. my goal is to have all my things in storage the 1st of December. then pull out my living in a vehicle needs. and at that point I will be full time and heading to Arizona. my plan is to be gone for 3 months then revisit the storage and finish off getting rid of all items left. with me just saving a few personal items i want to keep.

I have no idea how far away I am from traveling. Maybe years. Maybe I will never do it in the end, but I feel I will start shedding stuff soon anyway. I live in a small condo and I still have things I don't need! 😎

Im dealing with two households of stuff, both parents worth. The "I want to keep this" pile is quickly diminishing. Things that I thought I at least wanted to go to people I knew would appreciate them are getting shifted to the goodwill pile. I dont have time and energy for all this. My own treasures are going to get a serious paring down when i get back to my regular home.

Im not going full mobile, but all the carp we accumulate around us has a cost, not just in purchase price, but keeping it sheltered and safe etc. Thoreau had it figured out in the 1840s.

Stuff posses us as much as we posses it. When you think of what it will cost to keep things you may or may not use, it starts to come into focus a little differently. Im becoming more of a minimalist over time.

The parents stuff. It meant something to them, I understand to a point why they kept some of it. Some of it means something to me, but not very much. Nobody is going to care about my junk when Im gone, so no point keeping it for that reason. Points like these help me realize how much stuff I really dont need.

Last edited:
The only stuff of my mom's I want are the paintings and sculptures she did. At least some of them. The rest...bye bye. I agree most of my stuff won't be valuable to anyone. I have read it's best to let folks pick through it before you die (if you don't care) then you can know what to get rid of sooner!

My dad was a master wood carver and had many large beautiful lifetime projects like carousel horses. He asked me if I would like anything out of his collection. I have some beautiful walnut and ash potato chip bag clips we made together when I was younger and he was trying to teach me to work wood but the larger pieces went to other friends and family which made both them and me happy.