TMG's Van Thread! (Picture-heavy.)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
I got my van! '99 Dodge Phoenix, manufactured motorhome. 80k miles, power locks, AC, appliances, shower, zero fuel economy for $9,900. I thought it was a conversion, but it came from the factory this way. I still think of it as a van. I don't live in an RV. I live in a big van. :cool:

(post 1 of 3)

I've already started modifying it, and I intend to update this thread with projects as I go on.

NY2kvyi.jpg

OBkayfJ.jpg

LwQ1vk8.jpg

Cabinets everywhere
Wiw6TdO.jpg

B6kyoGe.jpg

Added holders to shower/bath area.

dvdja7U.jpg

Over-cab sleeping area compacts for driving...

eu2G92B.jpg

Folds out to 75" long! That's a full futon mattress I put up there!

I6v5Vfd.jpg

Some rear storage...

hFwTd5b.jpg

(2 of 3)

lMoeGgV.jpg

I took the microwave out, that's just more storage space now.

dyHuSug.jpg

The jack was in here taking up half the largest cabinet. I relocated it. Going to relocate the extinguisher too.

B2ZEkcP.jpg

pns7REW.jpg

Propane fridge!

GZlGbAw.jpg

I'm not happy with this shower floor thing, it adds unnecessary height and weight. I'm going to rebuild it.

pp9FOB7.jpg

Already removed the carpeting they used for padding (wtf) with this foam. Temporary improvement.

kH2jd2s.jpg

(3 of 3)

When I bought it, the system didn't hold water. This anode rod connection was totally rusted out so all the water poured out from there.... on the way home from purchase, I bought a tap, re-tapped it and plugged it with brass. I'll look into replacing the anode but for now it holds water, and even the propane water heater functions.
h6SZT1G.jpg

I don't know if this is designed to be an outside faucet or a drain for the water tank, but it functions as both.

WGFKVFw.jpg

Under the rear seats, plywood was screwed down making all the systems inaccessible. I unscrewed it, added hinges and a strap handle.

GFZlr14.jpg

Now these areas are available for both access to systems and increased storage... the jack is in here now.

tzx21Q2.jpg

Building small compartments inside these areas so I can store tools without them banging into system components. Look at all the space that would otherwise be wasted!

1ZkXKqZ.jpg

I don't know about this thing. I think I'll just take it out. It WORKS, but I never plan to be plugged in at a campground...
NqdGnYh.jpg

This is the only problem area. Water got in at some point, soaked the wall and blew out this piece of compressed board. Gonna have to look into replacing that.

5rMUpoj.jpg

Anywho. That's my into. See you later on down the road.

6vkzM9C.jpg

Nice find. I like the clean back end look. Doesn't shout class B as fast.

I'd never fit in that top berth, or if I was pushed in, it would collapse... Fat doesnt compress, just slips around...

You made some good adjustments for additional storage.

I'm with you, I'd lose that ac unit. Weight and unnecessary space.

Too bad about water intrusion but it is a 99 after all... Doesn't look horrible.

All in all pretty solid looking rig, no rust visible to my old eyes. 5.2 or 5.9?

Like the fact that it's not crazy with graphics too. Yes you can't stealth as much but you obviously know that so nice biggie. Definitely nice to be self contained... Any solar plans? Roof vent??

Nice find!  It looks to be in pretty good shape for its age!  And nice work on finding extra storage places.  Those are always needed!

Water heater looks like mine which is a Suburban.  You can get the anode rods which are the 9 1/2 inch ones on Amazon for less money than an RV store.

I hope that you have many, many good trips in it!

TMG51, Incredible find. You must have pinched yourself a few times to make sure you were awake when you saw this beautiful house on wheels. It's hard to believe the old girl is over 25 years old. It sure is a good start to your van dwelling life.

I wish you all the best with your renovations and travels.

Nicole

very nice. don't you just hate the way they run things all willy nilly when they build rvs. if they would have taken a little care with their routing of wires, water lines and propane lines that cabinet would have a lot more room. anyhow nice find. highdesertranger

dusty98 said:
Nice find.  I like the clean back end look.  Doesn't shout class B as fast.  

I'd never fit in that top berth, or if I was pushed in, it would collapse... Fat doesnt compress, just slips around...

You made some good adjustments for additional storage.

I'm with you, I'd lose that ac unit.  Weight and unnecessary space.

Too bad about water intrusion but it is a 99 after all...  Doesn't look horrible.

All in all pretty solid looking rig, no rust visible to my old eyes.  5.2 or 5.9?

Like the fact that it's not crazy with graphics too.   Yes you can't stealth as much but you obviously know that so nice biggie.  Definitely nice to be self contained...  Any solar plans?  Roof vent??

Big reason why I wanted this vehicle is because it's big enough to really live in and have some amenities, but it also doesn't scream motorhome to everyone that passes by. It looks like a big van first and a motorhome second.

I believe it's the 5.9L, I was surprised to find some power behind the skinny pedal. I've driven older Ram vans before and thought I would never buy one, they seemed sluggish. This beast will actually put your head into the back of the seat if you put your foot down! Probably uses about a gallon of fuel to do so, though.

I'm stoked about that over cab sleeping. I can sprawl all the way out up there. I do wonder how they expected the average RV consumer to make use of the space though - I'm nimble, and I don't mind climbing up there, but I doubt that design could be put on the market today.

Solar panels are on order!

LeeRevell said:
Nice rig.  How does she drive and handle?  What engine?

The steering has some play in it, and the turning radius isn't what it was in my hatchback, but I've been pleased overall with maneuverability and responsiveness of this thing. I expected a lethargic boat. Instead I have a thirsty beast.

highdesertranger said:
very nice.  don't you just hate the way they run things all willy nilly when they build rvs.  if they would have taken a little care with their routing of wires,  water lines and propane lines that cabinet would have a lot more room.  anyhow nice find.  highdesertranger

Yes, it's obvious they wanted to get it out of production as quickly as possible. Everything is plywood and particle board with voids in between. But the components themselves all seem to have endured and remained functioning rather well. I keep being impressed with little things. Take the door locks for example: If you get out with a cargo door open and press lock on the key fob, the opened door doesn't lock because electrical connection is made when it's closed. But when you close the door, it waits 5 seconds, and then re-locks all the doors for you! My girlfriend's 2010 Civic isn't half that smart.

You got yourself a nice home on wheels , I want one ! Skuh kuh kuh kuh
If you do take out the air conditioner , you'll have the perfect hole up there for a Fantastic Fan !
If that particle board wall rot is falling apart , you can do a quick n easy fix , dig it out and patch with some bondo.....
When you are putting extra storage in that compartment where the furnace is , remember to not block any of the intake vents , if you decide to not use that thing (they are huge battery HOGS), sell it (and the AC) and get more storage and some cash for solar , batteries , fan....
Perfect space for a couple of Golf Cart batteries? !

Don't forget to check the dot date code on the tires.

rvpopeye said:
You got yourself a nice home on wheels , I want one ! Skuh kuh kuh kuh
If you do take out the air conditioner , you'll have the perfect hole up there for a Fantastic Fan !
If that particle board wall rot is falling apart , you can do a quick n easy fix , dig it out and patch with some bondo.....
When you are putting extra storage in that compartment where the furnace is , remember to not block any of the intake vents , if you decide to not use that thing (they are huge battery HOGS), sell it (and the AC) and get more storage and some cash for solar , batteries , fan....
Perfect space for a couple of Golf Cart batteries?  !

Don't forget to check the dot date code on the tires.

All good points, thanks.

I think I will remove the furnace and AC at some point. I plan to follow the weather where I want, and never to be plugged into shore power. So they're probably both useless. I already removed the microwave for that reason.

I've read about golf cart batteries on other blogs but not much on this forum. Is there a reason I should use those over deep cycle marine/auto batteries? I'm still a bit confused with 6v / 12v / 24v.

The tires on the wheels are good. The spare on the back is visibly dry rotted. I should have griped at the dealer for a new spare, but oh well.

Overall I think I got lucky to find this van.

2 6v Golf Cart batteries wired in series will take way more discharge/charge cycles and give your more reserve capacity than any 1 (or 2), 12v Marine "DeepCycle" etc.

How to solve all your storage problems in two easy steps:

1) Buy some of those clear pocket over-the-door shoe organizer things.

2) Staple them f-king everywhere. :cool: 

7GlfyFy.jpg

37AAaUO.jpg

Modded the shower too. Threw out the wand that came with it, soldered up this thing with a low-flow showerhead that has a built in on/off valve, and mounted it in such a way that it can be positioned to actually spray on you while standing...folds away or pops off in the hand...

byaUbBI.jpg

Added plenty of hose too.

TKOzup2.jpg

I also threw out that bulky plywood hinged contraption they had covering the shower floor. That thing was just dead weight and a pain in the ass. I found these drainage pieces that fit perfectly and wired them together. They weigh nothing and don't rot. Plenty strong to stand on.

KeTbwGv.jpg

Cheap wire can be found at yard sales and flea markets. They hide it inside of old extension cords.

Nt7pBbu.jpg

There's 100' of 3 different insulated strands of 12awg.

Also, that tool on the Leatherman is perfect for stripping the outer insulation.

TMG51 said:
Cheap wire can be found at yard sales and flea markets. They hide it inside of old extension cords.

Nt7pBbu.jpg

There's 100' of 3 different insulated strands of 12awg.

Also, that tool on the Leatherman is perfect for stripping the outer insulation.

Good tip, but why strip the outer jacket off? Wouldn't it be better to keep the jacket on for protection?

concretebox said:
Good tip, but why strip the outer jacket off? Wouldn't it be better to keep the jacket on for protection?

If you're going to run it continuously somewhere yes. I needed a bunch of separate strands of wire.

that's a great idea for 120v. you have the correct color coding. for 12v though I have reservations, especially if you are running both systems, could get a little confusing and has a potential for a bad mistake. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
that's a great idea for 120v.  you have the correct color coding.  for 12v though I have reservations,  especially if you are running both systems,  could get a little confusing and has a potential for a bad mistake.  highdesertranger

I use black for negative, white for positive, and put some red tape on each end of the white. It works for me.