Tires...Walmart? Shop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good going on the return!!!  Sometimes we have to be assertive to protect ourselves from various situations. I think by presenting my "case" in a normal voice with out accusations has often gotten me exactly what I  needed/expected/wanted in the first place.  If voices are raised I jump right in with the big dogs............sometimes my "Gentle Southern Flower" sign gets a little askew or falls plum' off even.   Some of us are just more verbal than others.....hey we all gotta be sumpin' :)  
      A friend who is a former US Customs agent said he'd rather be shot again than have me cut loose on him.  Is that a good thing?   :angel:

Jewellann

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]A friend who is a former US Customs agent said he'd rather be shot again than have me cut loose on him.  Is that a good thing?   [/font]
angel.gif
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

No comment.   :p :cool:

Cry said:
I went with Walmart.

Hankook DynaPro ATm Tire P245/75R16
https://www.walmart.com/ip/19226823

It was $450 for the tires and installation at Walmart will be $88 with roadside hazard. So under $550 and tires seem to be decent ones. Thanks for the help!

It does say it's for light trucks!  Me thinks you have benefited from our capitalism.

When I was a little kid and my mom wanted to 'talk to me' about something bad I did, I used to just hand her my belt, it hurt less
That was when mom was still, well, mom

Lots of Trucks leave the showroom floor with P/XL tires, the XL is extra load.

Such tires on a truck need their weight rating reduced by about 9% in a taller vehicle application.

LT tires are already derated.

P tires ride softer and require less PSI to carry the same load as an LT tire
LT tires generally have higher max PSI inflation values and the treadwear warranty might not exist for an LT tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=70

Plenty of people use P rated tires on trucks/vans and many prefer them as they do ride softer.

Do be aware that most tireshops will set the PSI of the tire to the recommendations on the door panel.

They did so for my LT tires setting them to 32PSI, but my van calls for a p235/75-15 XL tire, and these have a max inflation presure of 41PSI. My 30x9.5x15 LT load range C tires have a max inflation pressure of 50PSI.

32PSi is too low on a LT 50PSI tire.
I keep them 42 to 44PSI and they are likely slightly overinflated for the load I currently carry.

So check your PSI, see if it is as the door placard recommends, If so your LT tires likely need a few more PSI, and you will feel it driving.

You never want to use "P" load rated tires on large vans. I use at the minimum "C" load range on my Ford RV-van. (LT235/75/15) On 1 ton vans and above I use "E" load range for LT245/75/16.

I have never bought tires from Walmart. I usually go to Discount Tire, or Goodyear. Now my experience has been at those two shops its a hit-miss affair. Some individuals know what they are doing, and some don't. Its far better to go there knowing what you want and why.

The last time I went to Discount tire I bought a full set (including spare) of C load range LT tires that I told them to inflate the tires to the PSI stated on the tire.. they swapped out tires, and I instantly knew they didn't do it when I picked my RV up. I ended up at a Target parking lot next door with my on board compressor inflating the tires from 28PSI to 50PSI. Rides GREAT.. :-D

It comes down to how loaded and heavy your van is.. If its empty.. You might get away with "P" type tires... If you have alll sorts of gear in it... Youll be better off starting at "XL" rated, and up...