Solving my tire problems

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a stand-on-it force on the cross-tree or OEM lug wrench — with or without the support board shown — still depends on SMART FOOTWEAR...

Yeah, midnight & pouring rain fixing a flat I was only able to break two of six lug bolts loose because my nylon hiking shoes were as worn out as the tire, might as well had been doing it barefoot.

Onboard tool kit now has 30-inch cheater pipe w/ a note on jack telling where & what it is : )

I have a Williams Torque Multiplier 3/4" on 1 side & 1" on the other. No batteries or cords & stores small. I've never found anything it won't loosen. Here's a short you tube on a cheaper copy

Very interesting tool. My takeaway from the video is that I need a pocket squirrel.

Ive never been particularly impressed with the 4 way lug wrenches, they never seemed like they had all that much go to me. A 1/2" drive breaker bar and correct socket work better. A cheater pipe can help but the breaker bar can usually get it. I go find them relatively cheaply at pawn shops with the socket and a short extension, about a 3" can often help get a better angle for torque. I keep one in every vehicle I may drive and just get another if I dont have one for something new.

However... The quality battery impact wrenches are getting my attention, I plan to get one.

Keep in mind, even if YOU cant utilize the tools to change your tire, someone that comes along may, so not being able to use them yourself isnt really a good reason not to have decent tools for the task. Calling for help isnt always possible or may take a long time before anyone can show up. Theres also techniques that minimize the raw lifting required tor changing a tire.

Also, keep in mind, a flat DOESNT mean you cant drive. Its not generally a complete show stopper. people drive on flats, rims and brake dics or destroyed axles all the time for whatever reason. It will ruin the tire, then rim, then brake rotor depending on how long you do it, but its entirely possible to drive on a flat. The choice is what youre willing to damage to get out of the situation, but Hollywood gives a false impression of being able to drive with a flat tire.

Abandoning a a vehicle or being "stuck" somewhere simply because of a flat, and often it becoming a life threatening end result, is absolutely ludicrous.