tire recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bardo said:
I'll have to rotate the living hell out of them to maybe get 10k
If that's all you're getting there's something grossly wrong, the vehicle undergoes frequent, violent maneuvers or some other unorthodox use.

John is right, someone need to look at the suspension, or take a ride with you.

well I've looked at the suspension. I've put shocks, tie rods, wheel bearings, brakes, and adjusted the camber. Its been in the shop for alignment and people who can drop an trans in 1hr on the side of the road have ridden in it. I think the problem is it's a 6500lb high top with P rated 75 ratio tires. I hope so anyway, there's nothing so wrong that could make left and right tires go bad evenly otherwise. The tires buldge pretty bad even at max psi. there might be some bent stuff on the right side due to a fender bender, you can see the sway bar is pushing the bushing making it a bit oblong, but its normal on the right and it's both side wearing. the wreck happened before I put any miles on it so IDK if it was doing it prior. these vans are known to eat fronts according to a bunch on van forums.

it does make a grinding noise that sounds like the prongs of a hub cap being snapped onto a wheel when you dry turn. Its all lubed up so IDK what that is.

Weight said:
Please don't drive at highway speeds.

drove from tennessee to ohio, rocked her out around 90 after I got bored doing 60 for 3 hours without cruise or AC (fixed now)....lmao

I should grab a pic of the michelins tho :D

they look worse in person but here is the dry rot

20171003_173745.jpg

here's the bridgestones sidewall give

20171003_173808.jpg

Attachments

• 20171003_173745.jpg
    20171003_173745.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20171003_173808.jpg
    20171003_173808.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
that dry rot is terrible, get those off ASAP. as far as the bulge goes it doesn't look to bad from the pic. more important then the bulge is the tread contact on the road surface. none of the sidewall should contact the road, if it does your pressure is to low or you are overloaded for the tires. if you are planning on keeping this van long term, I still say get some 16 inch rims and some LT load range E(120) tires and be done with it. highdesertranger

Noooo... With all due respect, he needs to weigh the axle, not guess.
And not ask the internet to make suggestions when he can roll it on a scale.

And, there's obv something very wrong with noises described- letalone egregious tire wear.

Not at all to be contentious, but i find it very difficult to believe this is such a mystery.
Someone needs to take a little time and inspect the vehicle.

such as? what goes wrong that causes severe wear and it's 100% not tires bulging under the weight? so again...tie rods are new, bearings are new, ball joints are fine, shocks are new, steering is tight without excess play in the box, bushings are fine, pitman and idler arms look good and all the joints are lubed, a-arms look good without excess play and alignment done 2k miles ago...of which everything was fine.

if you know of something specifically I'm all ears.

That dry rot is BAD. I had minor cracking/ dry rot on my rear tires, the tread rolled off and now have a $2000 dollar repair to the rear bedside of my truck.

Sure. I know how frustrating things like this can get.

First, axle weight would be most prudent, wouldn't you agree?

Something is making those noises- discovering that is prudent, too, no? LoL, there's only so many parts that can make noises. It has to be something.

You mentioned damage, there's crash specs for literally everything - You can usually find the Factory Service Manual online for free, or if it's old they're on eBay, as they outlast the vehicle. Even a tape measure to check- Doesn't sound like were talking thousandths of an inch type problem, here. 

Perhaps a second set of eyes would be good. Sometimes we get a 'blindspot' when we're faced with a problem for so long.  I know it's hard to find someone both competent and honest.

Buying expensive, niche tires is good because it keeps the economy going, but you could probably find better uses for the money. ;)

I've been using Hankook H724 235/75-15 XLs from Walmart. They are rated 108 or 2205 lbs.

My van isn't so heavy though, about 5000 lbs max.

Only $66 each but you have to order them ahead because I believe most WMs don't stock them.

I ordered the H727 and they delivered the H724 so I returned them. the former being 100k mile tires. Then I bought a set of cooper starfire and they had paper sidewalls.

That link only goes to the main Discount Tire site, not to a specific tire listing.

I am so totally going to weigh my rig and check my tire specs. Was going to before, but now it's serious. Now I'm all worried about getting stuck in the mud and sand even more than I was before. I have a strap. I ordered Bob's mats. I have small block levelers. I have a cheap carpet runner that I would easily sacrifice. No boards. Can I even get in and out of Ehrenberg? If I can see the rain coming, I need to get out or be prepared to wait days?? I like all those roads in OP's pics, except #5. Not doing that.