tire recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duck, I've driven all over the Ehrenberg, Quartzite, Cottonwood, Holtville, Yuma, Parker, etc. etc. etc. roads for 2 winters now without any of the gear you are trying to pack.

When I say roads, these are not your regular city roads, these are single lane, 2 tire track trails.

I have never had to air down my tires.

I do not, however, go off the roads except in to campsites that are never more than a couple of hundred yards off the trail.

The roads are harder than concrete - that's the nature of desert sand. 

As long as you're not going down that #5 road, you'll be fine. Or going 10 miles out Road #4, bypassing a bunch of good campsites to get to the end of the road.

When people get stuck it's because they get adventurous and start trying to make their own trails or they try driving in washes or up the sides of washes where there is loose rock. I'd suggest that your sense of gut instinct 'ain't going there' will work better than all the tools in the world.

The other way they get stuck is in mud. The desert can become a quagmire after a torrential rain which is usually summertime winters are the dry season there. That's why the best advice is to always have at least 3 or 4 days worth of extra supplies on hand so that if the roads become impassible you can stay put. If it rains that hard and you're short on water, collect rain water and boil it.

The only thing you'll really need out of that list is the levelers and that's so that you can sleep without falling out of bed if you can't find a level spot to park. The cheap carpet runner comes in handy for at the side door of your vehicle as a door mat.

I do recommend that you have good tires with strong sidewalls (E rating) because there is more danger of damaging a sidewall when you sideswipe a sharp rock than anything else. OTOH, the only tire damage I've had is because of a screw embedding itself in a tire. That could very well have happened in a parking lot.

Aight, little less concerned, but I will try to avoid mud and desert washes, not doing that.  I will almost always be on dry dirt or sand but may be 20 miles off road in a flat desert, why not? Will watch the weather and watch out for larger rocks.  Will drive slow.

Double-checked my tires.  They are new, even on the tire stamp.  They're road tires, another reason to be extra careful.  But!  They are E-rated with a max load of 3042 lbs per tire.  That should work.  Now I just need to weigh a max load to check against the vehicle's gross amount, but tire-wise, thinking I'm ok, yes?

duckwonder said:
Now I just need to weigh a max load to check against the vehicle's gross amount,
And adjust pressure to your findings- its perfectly OK to put in 35 PSI if that's what load pressure chart says. And it handles OK.
I don't want to be master of the obv, but grossly overinflating is a good way to get a puncture- a rock-hard tire is less compliant.

Majority of tires i repaired were LR G- because they were forced to run very high pressures and you can't really swerve to avoid objects in a semi, they're wide, and each successive tire 'kicks up' debris for the following axle 

Thats why majority of auto flats you see are passenger's rear- front kicks that resting nail up so it gets chance at sticking following tire.

Everything got holes, though, from wheelbarrow to reinforced skidder tires

highdesertranger said:
yes you are ok on tires.  weigh that puppy.  weigh it fully loaded.  highdesertranger

I'm so going to with all the water and propane and take my dog for the ride!  I'm sooo getting closer to the West!!!

UptownSport said:
And adjust pressure to your findings- its perfectly OK to put in 35 PSI if that's what load pressure chart says. And it handles OK.
I don't want to be master of the obv, but grossly overinflating is a good way to get a puncture- a rock-hard tire is less compliant.

That chart is way better than the one I looked at before I called the tire store to confirm.  Posted it to my favorites! Thank you.
For PSI, I have 55 in the front & 75 in the back on Michelin Defenders (80 max psi) and 70 on the airbags.  After I weigh it fully loaded, I'll come back to the forum with numbers and confirm for PSI and practice doing an adjustment with the air compressor.  That's big deal stuff for me.  For some that may be needless, and right on!  For me, when I need air, I need air, and if I ever do need to air down, which I likely won't in my Class B, I'll have the ability handy.  I appreciate y'all taking the time.

Hi all. I hit the road. Everyone stay far to my left. I weighed at a CAT scale, 9220. The GVWR is 9500. I left with no food, no water in the boondocking water jugs, about 1/4 water in freshwater tank, empty black/gray tanks, an empty propane canister, and about 1/2 tank of RV propane. So I'm close but not over. But I Will be over by a lot for the distance between services and boondocking spot or campsite more than a couple days. So does that affect sway or tires or rollover or what?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Holy batman there girl!

What in the world are you carrying?

Even with all the stuff I carry Lady Arabella only weighed in at 7, 231 lbs and I carry a lot of stuff.... :D The only thing I took out of it for the weigh in were the water jugs and the hitch hauler wasn't on at the time so add a couple of hundred pounds to that max.

Like 2 fridge/freezer units, 4 Trojan T105RE batteries, a kitchen that could (and does... :) ) feed an army on occasion, my complete backpacking gear as well as stuff like canoe and kayak paddles, etc. etc.

Unless your weight is all up top it won't affect the center of gravity BUT it will affect  handling, as in it will be sluggish to pull away from a light and you'll need extra stopping room to slow that puppy down. You'll also wear the suspension and the tires faster than if it didn't weigh that much! Oh, and your gas mileage is going to be way on the low end no matter how carefully and slowly you drive.

Most of it is the weight of the van itself, big motor, then it's just gear. It's really not that much gear. My dog and I can walk through, lol. No really I maybe have 500 pounds maximum of stuff, not even, but with full tanks beneath, I'm over by a little for hopefully shorter distances. But if I add batteries and panels, that weight concerns me, but maybe I could get rid of the Genny and it's weight. It doesn't work anyway and maintenance is a pita. I don't know.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk