tire recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsun

Reaction score
need set of strong tires for my beast. it weighs about 6500lbs. tire size is 235/75-15.

anybody know of at least decent load D or better tires in this size?

I have Continental TerrainContact AT on my Expedition. Not a extremely aggressive tread for off road so that they are still quiet on pavement. Tough enough that the rocks have not shredded them.

is that size right? 235/75-15, is that 15 right? if so you going to have a hard time finding a heavy duty tire. much better would be a 16 then you have several choices. highdesertranger

You'll want a tire rated as "XL" which stands for Xtra Load. It'll be rated at about 2400 pounds, which is very low compared to most 16 inch tires, but it should do for your rig. Your concern will be the rear axle, it can't go over 4800 pounds, but that seems unlikely.

well actually it eats fronts. had a set of 108XL rated tires on there but the sidewall deflected so much it ate up the inner and outer tread. For experiment mounted up used lower profile tires problem went away so I know it's not something funky going on with the suspension.

Bout the only thing I can find are trailer tires.

Cheap tires will do this, they just don't engineer the belt package well. We sold 'Strattons' years ago that were notorious for edge wear.
(BF Goodfornothing private label)
With steer tires on semis, you get what's called 'River wear', a subset of irregular wear.

It's caused by high inflation pressures used on steers, which 'curves' tread face so, in effect, the center is bigger than edges, and edges 'slip' just a bit causing the wear.
Think you have three tires all on the same hub but outer, thinner tires are slightly smaller. They slip, and wear.

Usually passenger tires wear so quickly from cornering, etc., that this wouldn't occur.
What's the actual axle weight, and what're you inflating them to?

(Below, the left edge, lighter area)

ad8c51f8-c6e1-e19f.jpg

they were bridgestones initially. I got nothing else for you, this has been a thing for 5 years now and those are now gone. Its got used michelins now that are unbelievably dry-rotted.

Well, those aren't in the 'cheap tire' category, if Michelins do it, LoL.

Have you weighed the axle???

uhh yeah but its been a while. at least 2600-3000 cause the whole thing is about 6500. the michelins on there are 65 side wall and do not do it. its any tire with 75 sidewall. That's how I know it's not a mechanical issue. It's been aligned with camber adjustment. But the only two I've had are the stones that were 108t XL, and goodyear wranglers. The front end doesnt have much extra weight, just the high top and light gear in the overhead compartment...maybe 150lbs at worst. all the water and batteries in the back. It's a 305 steal block/head 80's engine...shouldnt be terrible.

Wouldn't, by any chance, take corners a bit fast? ( Hate to ask such a question ;) )
I :ahem: did have experience with this as a kid ...
Maybe total weight puts a lot of lateral pressure on steers when speed would seem reasonable and appropriate.
From what I've seen and recall, it was always outer edge, but my exuberant driving and being a tire buster at a truck shop was many years ago.

Do see if you can weigh steer axle- If there isn't a chassis sticker.

There's also Toe Out In Turns and something called the 'Ackerman Principle.'
This would only come into play if a steering component were bent, or perhaps a steering knuckle were swapped out for one with a differnt length steering arm-
straight line toe could be dead on.
This stuff is beyond my direct ken, but you could take a gander at components yourself and see if anything stands out.

yeah but it's the same on both sides. I think Im just going to go down to 70's and be stuck with LT-XL's. the original bridgestones were P rated but the wranglers weren't. I'll have to rotate the living hell out of them to maybe get 10k