tire pressure

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TALLMAN

Reaction score
Have:huh: 96 holiday rambler endeavor tires read cold pressure Max 80 psi. What pressure should I use.

I run the same.....70lbs cold pressure early am......gives enough room for expansion during driving tire heat without creating a rock!!

Most vehicles have in some place on them a plate or label with recommended tire pressure. Usually the tire pressure you would use will depend on the load you have on the tires. However I think that 75 to 80 would be a good range to keep the pressure in. Too low of pressure causes the tires to over heat and this can cause catastrophic problems like lose of control when a tire blows out. Front steer tires I like to keep at max pressure to keep them cooler.

The main thing is to keep each of duals at the same pressure as its partner tire. A low one will build lots of heat that can shorten its life or cause a blowout.
An easy way to keep an eye on them at each stop is with a laser thermometer. You still need to break out the gauge fairly often to make sure you're in the right ballpark.

Never rely on "thumping" them.

Thanks, I had them way too low. Information on my tires concerning pressure is about 1/3 the size of news paper print and I have trouble reading it, tried to look it up and there were weight, chart, tire type consideration that made it even more complicated.

If you're willing to do a little work, you can nail your tire pressure perfectly.

Get a tire tread depth gauge. Check each tire regularly, measuring across the thread evenly.

An overinflated tire will wear in the center. An underinflated tire wears on the outside. When the tire is wearing evenly, the pressure is just right.

Regards
John

Those numbers pertain to vehicles within their weight limits. Its surprising how many are running overloaded and under inflated for the weight....and on crap tires.

I run 65 lbs in the van tires and we're way under load capacity. They're 235s rather than the 225s from the factory and an inch wider. Its a firm, but very stable ride.
I was impressed at how well the Dodge maxi van holds the road in curves.

A general rule of thumb I follow on tire pressure is to inflate to the tire's max PSI minus 5%. This leaves head room for heat expansion while giving me the stiffer, more road sensitive ride I prefer.