Refilling Coleman bottles from a 5 pound tank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KroFlite

Reaction score
Been watching lots of youtube videos on refilling the 1 pound bottles, and would like to give it a go. Lots of contradictory information, as always, but I thiink I have a handle on what to do and how at this point.

However, in every video and in every discusssion I've come across, a 20 pound tank is used for the refilling. In a couple they mention it should be fairly full to provide enough pressure for the refill. This leads me to believe that my 5 pound tank may be problematic for this job, even if full.
What do you think?

Right now I'm milking both a 20 and 5 pounder of propane refilling my small bottles........as the tank empties the refill is smaller..............Break camp/shopping day is only a day away !

The 5'er will only give up 4 bottles worth when full........in about 10 refill tries.......diminishing returns

and my 5'er won't sit upside/down......the valve is too tall.......I hang it with a hook thru a hole in the base

I often use a hose and Buddy Filter directly to my heater BUT there were no FILTERS to be found !

Been watching lots of youtube videos on refilling the 1 pound bottles, and would like to give it a go. Lots of contradictory information, as always, but I thiink I have a handle on what to do and how at this point.

However, in every video and in every discusssion I've come across, a 20 pound tank is used for the refilling. In a couple they mention it should be fairly full to provide enough pressure for the refill. This leads me to believe that my 5 pound tank may be problematic for this job, even if full.
What do you think?
Have you considered using the 5 pound tank directly? Skipping the one pounbd bottles?

Aaah... you are in a van. Too tight.
A minivan. Way too small for me, but it's what I have to work with at this time. I mostly camp out with a cabin tent and sleep in the van. Just recently got a Mr. Heater, and it's been great. Go back and forth with it to the tent. When I leave my tent for any length of time, I take everything of value in the van with me. If I don't, it's just a matter of time before it will be gone...already happened once.

So I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible, and as safe as possible, with as few hoses and connections as possible. So still a lot of shuffling around, but I'm making it work better all the time.

Just to be clear refillable small bottles work fine and have tight fitting caps. The nonrefillable green bottles can be refilled but the safety valve and main valves always start to leak after a few refills for me so I don’t do them any more. I stored them in a tote to begin with and discovered it full of free floating propane upon removing the lid one time. From then on I stored them in a rack I made from a milk crate outside. I have since adapted everything to hose from the larger refillable bottles which are stored outside. The trick to those is a Teflon lined supply hose ( the expensive one ) and a filter. I’ve been blown through a trailer door trying to light a malfunctioning heater once before and really don’t want to do it again. If I’m going fishing and it is really cold I’ll just buy a throwaway 4 pack of little bottles and do just that, throw them away! For a full timer the refillable small bottles that are designed to last are great but expensive. With the new cheaper diesel heaters being able to set outside and duct air in that would be my choice even with the tent.

Last edited:
An initially expensive option, but I've been very happy with this 5 lb./1.2 gallon grab-and-go bottle: https://ignik.com/collections/refillable-fuel

It is easily/economically topped off at Tractor Supply, etc. and is not nearly the hassle green bottles are. It "feels" safer to me, too. (I've had valves in the green bottles fail to reseat, which for me was a little scary.)

An initially expensive option, but I've been very happy with this 5 lb./1.2 gallon grab-and-go bottle: https://ignik.com/collections/refillable-fuel

It is easily/economically topped off at Tractor Supply, etc. and is not nearly the hassle green bottles are. It "feels" safer to me, too. (I've had valves in the green bottles fail to reseat, which for me was a little scary.)

I can vouch for this too -- I have this and it's great, plus it serves well as a backup should my regular 20lb tank empty out. Saved my bacon a few times when I needed my morning coffee!

Ray

Seems to me that the 5 pounder would take up less room inside the minivan than 3 or 4 of the green bottles, and be much easier to hook up and use (with an adapter hose) than messing around with a few refills.

I bought a horizontal 20 # tank ($95.84 on Amazon) that fits under the bed in my van. I also have a nearby floor vent for any leaks and keep a sensor for extra safety. I don't know if I have all my bases covered, but if I don't I am sure someone here will let me know. That AM coffee is REAL important to me.

I really think that the above post is a better option unless you have the small 1lb bottles that are designed to be refillable. While it can be done with the small green bottles they were specifically designed to be single use so really can not be trusted long term. They may never have a problem but do you really want to take that chance for a tiny bit more convenience?

If you're refilling at home to prepare for a trip: placing the empty 1 pounders in the freezer prior to filling up makes them take more gas I've been told.

Amazon has some tanks that are cheaper than the Ignik brand and even have the ability to be delivered to an Amazon Locker, if that makes a difference to anyone. The 10lb is too big, which could make sense of course but the cute little 3lb'ers are no problem.

Oddly enough, the 5lb without a gauge is apparently classified as Hazardous Material and cannot be delivered to a Locker while the exact same tank with gauge will go to a Locker, no questions asked.

I wonder if the person that decided that is the same person that mandated a two-pack of silver Sharpie markers is too Hazardous to go to a Locker but a single marker is a-ok. I was scratching my head over that one. I am quite enjoying my single marker, but fear that inevitable day when I will wish I had a backup with a cap I did not forget to put back on.

Back to the topic, the Locker-able Flame King tank brand on Amazon is the same that makes the officially refillable one pounders, I have several and really like them. They are a bit spendy but I think they are worth it in the long run for how I use them both as backup and as convenience.

Last edited:
Amazon has some tanks that are cheaper than the Ignik brand and even have the ability to be delivered to an Amazon Locker, if that makes a difference to anyone. The 10lb is too big, which could make sense of course but the cute little 3lb'ers are no problem.

Oddly enough, the 5lb without a gauge is apparently classified as Hazardous Material and cannot be delivered to a Locker while the exact same tank with gauge will go to a Locker, no questions asked.

I wonder if the person that decided that is the same person that mandated a two-pack of silver Sharpie markers is too Hazardous to go to a Locker but a single marker is a-ok. I was scratching my head over that one. I am quite enjoying my single marker, but fear that inevitable day when I will wish I had a backup with a cap I did not forget to put back on.

Back to the topic, the Locker-able Flame King tank brand on Amazon is the same that makes the officially refillable one pounders, I have several and really like them. They are a bit spendy but I think they are worth it in the long run for how I use them both as backup and as convenience.
Maybe because without the gauge it can't be determined to be empty at a glance? Kind of makes sense because most shippers won't transport compressed or liquefied explosive or highly inflammable items... and the tanks when empty are just empty bottles, but when they have something in them are a horse of a different color...

Oh, could it be dangerous when they thaw and aren't rated to hold that much gas ?
If you are filling by weight you can get a cheap accurate scale to check so expansion shouldn’t be an issue.

Latest posts