Tips and tricks for vandwelling.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
As I start *thinking* about the transition to full time vandwelling in early July I have thought of a few things that will be advantageous living in van.

Radio - radio is a super cheap form of entertainment. You can buy a good quality walkman style radio at a thrift store for $5. Pop in some rechargeable AAs and you are good to go. I would only buy a walkman that uses 2 AAs and not a single AAA because I listen to the radio alot and want to minimize battery changing. Two AAs is going to give you more current and a much longer run time. Besides my simple love of music, radio also serves to block outside noise. Living in a city, this is definitely a plus. As to what I listen to 90% of the time its CBC Radio 2 up here in Canada. During the day until 2:00 its classical, then modern pop/rock (I'm sick of classic rock... though I do love it), then jazz, then finish the night off with ambient electronica. I love all kinds of music except new country, rap and the heavy stuff.

Shopping - when shopping, get your fruit/veg first and stick it in the freezer/cooler. By the time you are done shopping in 10 to 15 minutes your fruit/veg will be a little bit cold and will hopefully will retain a little bit coldness a little longer in your cooler.

Double duty - as much as you can try to have items in your van serve more than one purpose. For example, my cooking pot will also have a little dip on the side to facilitate easier pouring so I dont have to have a kettle. Also, I will use an ottoman with wheels on the bottom to roll around in the van. The top of the of the ottoman comes off and thats where I'll store my shoes.

Build convenience into your van. -  For example, I have decided to build my own toilet/bucket system. I am going to make it so I can leave the urine jug in the enclosed box. Actually it wont be in the shape of a square box but more egg shaped so torso can be more forward and feet back a bit facilitating urinating easier. At least thats how I have it my mind. Time will tell how it works out. Other items of convenience... try to have things have a permanent home so you dont have to constantly shuffle things around. For example, I am going to permanently mount my single burner stove on my counter area. As an urban stealther, there may be times  that I could cook outside but 95% of the time it will be in the van. Building convenience into that van means you have to think things out very thoroughly, but ultimately you have to be flexible once you are actually living in the van as things will likely need to be changed.

Anyway, those are a few ideas I have thought of.

Care to share any tips or tricks you may have for van living?

PlanetFitness

Pay $10/mo, get a hot shower anytime 24hrs of the day.

I'm far from being an expert, as I live out of my little RV only 2 to 3 months at a time. But an evaluation of what I miss having & what I don't use (but it built in) maybe worthwhile:
Only one thing missing; and several unnecessary extras I do not use:
+ I really miss not having a desk with a real chair. Or simply a work surface. Having a proper computer work surface would be a MAJOR plus!!
My bed is the dinning table, and converting it back & forth is a major pain in the a** because I have a top-pad (to sleep on as the cushions for the dinette suck for sleeping on) top-pad is very bulky, and nowhere to store it. I need to find some kind of work around, and thanks for starting this thread as I have generated a couple of new idea already.
- I never use the couch. NEVER. It is a waste of space. It is a piss-poor storage and junk collection zone, with a lot of head clearance that is wasted space. Yes, it folds out to make a king-sized bed coupled to the dinette, but I haven't had that kind of company in a long long time.
- I never use the bathroom space. Well, 99% of the time I don't. I pee in a nalgene bottle, & use public spaces for number 2, so that I don't have to bother with the blacktank mess. And the shower is just too cramped a space to shower, & is worth zip to me. ZERO. Same with the tiny bathroom sink. I only use the bathroom space for a trash bin, dirty laundry, and hanging wet clothes to dry.
- The Microwave works best as storage. I real oven maybe (maybe) nice.
- The front passenger seat (next to driver) RARELY holds a person. Less than 1% of the time. I'd rather have a removable recliner here. Something facing backwards, near the desired desk, that could also be placed outside for extended periods. (ok that means I am missing more than one thing. I'd like super comfy chair in my rig)
- Electrical generator. Very rarely used.
- Storage. Storage. Storage. Proper exterior space for: lawn chair, wet suit, hang-glider, backpack, dirty boots, shovel, tool boxes, bicycle.
- Better solar. MUCH better solar (ok-ok-ok: that is 4 things i want: desk, chair, more storage, more solar)

Flailer, from the sounds of it, you're not in the right type of vehicle for your needs!

Sounds like you've got way too much living space and not enough storage. You might be happier in a Class B or a converted van towing a cargo trailer for all the storage needs you have.

This is where lifestyle and vehicle/combos need to mesh.

Great thoughts there. I'm still on the fence about a separate sitting chair. Currently the plan is to try to just use the bed and use the ottoman on wheels to get around. I figure later I can add the chair *if* I deem it necessary. I plan to have a fold out table. I should have plenty of storage. Solar is in the future at some point.

Almost There said:
Flailer, from the sounds of it, you're not in the right type of vehicle for your needs!

Sounds like you've got way too much living space and not enough storage. You might be happier in a Class B or a converted van towing a cargo trailer for all the storage needs you have.

This is where lifestyle and vehicle/combos need to mesh.

Yup - You got that right!  I'm really on a fence what to do about it.  
I should prolly have listed ground clearance as one of my issues with this rig as well.   Oh, and just like with a large number of people: My rig is too large on the outside & too small on the inside. 

Thanks for the tips, I just checked out your YouTube review on the lantern, (wow can't believe it lasts 30days!!) and subscribed, feel free to check out my progress on my van, you tube link below. Have a great day! Peace!

Cool! I subb'd to your channel. That lantern is great but I think the 30 days only really applies if you have really good batteries. The dollar store jobbies I put in did not last that long on bright mode.

Hey thanks for subscribing! Yea I notice that with some things I used the dollar store batteries with. I can't believe how pricey batteries are, but I guess the good ones are worth it. I am loving this site here, there is so much information. Just when I get ready to ask someone something, I will search it and usually it is already been discussed! Have a beautiful today! Peace!

sisterearth said:
Hey thanks for subscribing! Yea I notice that with some things I used the dollar store batteries with. I can't believe how pricey batteries are, but I guess the good ones are worth it. I am loving this site here, there is so much information. Just when I get ready to ask someone something, I will search it and usually it is already been discussed! Have a beautiful today! Peace!

One of the things I do about battery operated stuff is to try to make sure that as many of them as possible all use the same size battery.

When I went shopping for my little PHD (Push Here Dummy) camera, I made sure it ran on AA so that it matched my headlamp, GPS and flashlights.

Because of the multiple uses it now makes it practical to buy batteries in the large economy packs.

It also has the side benefit of cutting down on spares I need to take for interior camping trips - I can always 'borrow' batteries if one of the more important unit fails.

Don't shop for batteries in the large display rack at W/M. If you go to the electronics department, find the shelf with the batteries and look down to the floor level, they have packs with 24/36/48 batteries that are reasonably priced.

Keep them cool - in fridge if you can, and they'll last a whole lot longer than if they're kept at room temp.

Almost There said:
When I went shopping for my little PHD (Push Here Dummy) camera, I made sure it ran on AA so that it matched my headlamp, GPS and flashlights.

Ah Ha Ha!!!!! heehee, ha ha. I love it! Got my morning exercise laughing at the PHD! :p I have one of those but it takes those flat rechargeable batteries. That's a new one on me, thanks! :D

Hey thanks for the tip on the batteries in the fridge, I did not know that! Good idea on stuff taking all the same size. Drives me crazy that smoke detectors take 9volt, it is like the only item I own that takes that size. Peace!!

anewbiewannabe said:
Ah Ha Ha!!!!! heehee, ha ha.  I love it! Got my morning exercise laughing at the PHD! :p  I have one of those but it takes those flat rechargeable batteries.  That's a new one on me, thanks! :D

Same here.  When I got my latest pocket camera, a Nikon Coolpix, I specifically got one that uses AA batteries.  And with GPS or anything else, I prefer AA batteries over rechargeables.  When the rechargeable fails, it can be hard t find a new one, and expensive!
I also like the rechargeable AA batteries.  A bit spendy up front, but cost pennies apiece over many charging cycles.
I never had a problem putting car and motorcycle batteries on a concrete floor.  Old wive's tale.

LeeRevell said:
I never had a problem putting car and motorcycle batteries on a concrete floor.  Old wive's tale.

*Cough, cough* Old guy's tale maybe. :p My dad taught me the same. I still put em on boards just because it's easier to get a grip if you use a couple 2x4 pieces or something so that you can reach under them.

anewbiewannabe said:
*Cough, cough* Old guy's tale maybe. :p  My dad taught me the same. I still put em on boards just because it's easier to get a grip if you use a couple 2x4 pieces or something so that you can reach under them.

I stand corrected!  :D
Though one of the best mechanics I know is a woman. 
I got one of those battery clamp-style carrier thingies......   makes toting those lead boxes a lot easier!  I am beyond the pint of having to prove my strength, and my back appreciates it!

Just a quick note that they do have stand alone solar battery chargers for household batteries.