Tippy Tap DIY santizing hand wash with .14 oz of water? YES!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
Tippy Tap....it's a real thing a way to wash hand with soap and flowing water. I is recommended by the CDC and the WHO among many other health organizations. Used in the third world countries at places such as schools where there is no running water. Great way to conserve water when van dwelling.

So how is it done?  You make your Tippy Tap recycled materials!!!
you use a plastic jug that has a handle with a space to grip your hand into it.
You a small hole into the jug for a thin stream of water to come out of
It hangs from a suspended rod. You use string and some scrap lumber to create a foot pedal to tilt the jug so water flows out the hole.
You can hang a bar of soap up on a string next to the Tippy Tap by putting a hole in the middle of the soap bar Wet your hands, take your foot off the pedal, rub hands  on the soap, do you 20 seconds or more hand scrubbing, then step on the pedal to rinse.
Tippy_tap_with_soap.jpg
This set up means your hands never touch the jug of water although they will touch the bar of soap. But the soap bar will kill the bacteria and virus with seconds the same as it does on your hands.

Lots of plans, photos, explanations on the internet including from the CDC.

Perfect for camping and a great thing to set up for those days when you are having a Pot Luck dinner so everyone can wash their hands before getting into the food line.   This would also be handy for events such as the van builds or outside of portable toilets for  gatherings. Post easy to understand instructions. There are plenty of those around to print out. It would also make an excellent seminar at a future RTR that is focused on how to keep clean with minimal water use.

Image above from Wikipedia showing a Tippy Tap at a children's school in Tanzania. If you enlarge the photo you can see the forked branches used to make the foot control. That is a pretty clever and free setup for a rustic camp in the woods.

Of course if you have a sink in your van you can also wash your hands with very little water by also using just a tiny stream to wet them. The shut if off, soap, then turn it back on for the rinse. Or even build a Tippy Tap over a  bowl or pan somewhere inside near your food prep and/or toilet area.

Attachments

• Tippy_tap_with_soap.jpg
    Tippy_tap_with_soap.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 19
This looks like something to take a closer look at. I worry sometimes about handwashing out and about and don't like hand sanitizer for to much.

vanbrat said:
This looks like something to take a closer look at. I worry sometimes about handwashing out and about and don't like hand sanitizer for to much.
Next time you empty a plastic bottle with a handle to put a rod through just do an experiment. Something to amuse yourself with during the Stay-at-Home order.

My laundry soap jug will run out in a few weeks.

But  the gallon size milk my friend bought to make his own yogurt needs to get emptied today. Of course since he never got around to making yogurt it passed its shelf life pull date yesterday.  So I will take some of that 10lb bag of rice I scored at the wholesale grocery store and his milk and make some rice pudding to put into the freezer. Then I can make the Tippy Tap and stick it outside next to my decontamination table used to sanitize items before they come into the living space.  I do have a bar of soap around somewhere that I use to rub the threads of screws on to make them easier to drive into wood.

Ah life in the stay-at-home zone ....what to do with an excess of milk that friend decided to hoard and stick in your refrigerator because his boat only has a tiny dorm size fridge. He is concerned about all the touches on the latch to the gate at the head of the dock. Sounds like it could use a Tippy Tap hand wash station too.

For camping, my solution was to use two 2-liter repurposed pop bottles. Each with lid with holes. One had soap water, one had rinse water.

Hey Maki!  This is like the ones we used to make in Girl Scouts.  It is operated with forearms, so fewer muddy feet.  Soap was tied in an hold "nylon" knee hi (LOL).  

Latest posts