Tiny Homes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camping bum

Reaction score
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]anybody in the Orlando area this weekend check out The Home & Garden Show at Aug 10-12, 2018 - Orange County Convention Center
they have 12 tiny houses set up and they are amazing ...
I have a booth set up for my company and have had the chance to see them today and fell in love[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Great chance to view 12 at 1 time and meet the builder[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
if you go stop by booth 669 and say hi to me.[/font][/font]

tried to add pic but too large, i'll try tomorrow if i can but i'm busy for the show

Edit - link removed by moderator rvwandering as per forum rules -   https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=10289

I looked at tiny homes but think they are way too expensive and heavy.

closeanuf said:
I looked at tiny homes but think they are way too expensive and heavy.

Cheaper than a trailer house, but they don't handle on the road like a van does.

I did see a Japanese style one that was super cool though. They made all their water vessels out of cedar. And they had a multi purpose entry. You could sit on it, store your boots in it, and use it for a ladder. 

~ crofter

Some of them are not expensive at all. They are very heavy, though, which would make you need a strong vehicle and a big gas/diesel budget. I'm not sure people always put them together thinking about the banging and swaying and shaking they'll be subject to if you use them like a nomad instead of planting them in a spot permanently.

Plus many of them have lowered axles and are pushing the height limit as much as they can, so they might be hard to take where you want to take them, nomad-wise.

Gorgeous though, some of them. I'd love one as a home base perhaps, but not to move around.

Having seen too many of these things built (on TV) with standard home building techniques shows me that 'road worthiness' is low on the checklist. Although creativity of design is good.
Love listening to these young buyers telling the camera 'I'm free to move at will from place to place'.

Nailed together....will shake loose in short order. Should be screwed.
Standard solid copper electric wiring....again, susceptible to loosening from the vibrations on the road leading to fire hazard. Should use stranded.
Exorbitant pricing. For the money, a quality fifth wheel would seem to be a better choice. Of course zoning & building codes need to be updated.
The very codes to make a tiny home legal on a piece of property make them vulnerable as over the road trailers (if the builder doesn't compensate with common sense 'over building' for strength).
Like a 'modular home', one trip to a permanent site would probably be OK...although the punch up guy will be busy dealing with nail pops, etc.

If it were me, I would use polyurethane SIP panels with FRP inner & outer skins, screwed and glued.
[SIP = Structural Insulated Panel    FRP = Fiber Reinforced Plastic]
I would also figure out some sort of 'Air Ride independent suspension' for the trailer.

Hmmm, maybe I should build a prototype 'shell' and take it to a show. :idea:  :cool:

crofter said:
Cheaper than a trailer house, but they don't handle on the road like a van does.

I did see a Japanese style one that was super cool though. They made all their water vessels out of cedar. And they had a multi purpose entry. You could sit on it, store your boots in it, and use it for a ladder. 

~ crofter

I saw maybe that house or a similar one on YouTube.  Looked really heavy.  Also - taking apart things to make into beds and lots of other uses gets old real fast.  My trailer conversion is being made to be the easiest on us two older (and my disabilities) people while being the most fun.

RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
I saw maybe that house or a similar one on YouTube.  Looked really heavy.  Also - taking apart things to make into beds and lots of other uses gets old real fast.  My trailer conversion is being made to be the easiest on us two older (and my disabilities) people while being the most fun.

I've been researching tiny houses for over 3 years and I'd love to live in one. Most of the builder sites I've been to show that they use earthquake standards to build the homes. You are driving through hurricane-force winds and experiencing earthquake forces everytime you drive anything. A lot of tiny housers find that commercial RV's are not that well built. I'd like to hear from y'all who have RV's to see how true that is. But I've watched a lot of video from the folks who test hurricane-force winds on structures and read a lot of the science behind earthquake-proofing and weather-proofing. My choice for a tiny house would be one built from shipping containers. You can easily anchor them with concrete pylons and rebar and there are these metal units you implant deep in the concrete [they have long steel bars for this]. Then you bolt them to the concrete pylons. If you want to move, you unbolt. If you want permanent, you weld.

They shot 2' x 4' lumber into unmodified shipping containers. They got dented but didn't break.

That's tiny homes with foundation.

The tiny houses on wheels TOW's are based on the RV model. Most of the major manufacturers [mostly folks who built their own and learned; family businesses] get certified by RVIA, which certifies factory-built RVs. If you build your own, then I don't think you can have RVIA certify it, but I could be wrong. People video every part of their build so they can prove it's up to code, whether residential or RVIA.

There are some out there built from sheds on trailers and built like stick-built houses, but anyone who researches it will overbuild so they last. I agree, that many of them are low and built tall, and I wouldn't want to tow them! But the tiny house industry is still new and there's a whole lot of experimentin' going on.

I like the idea of multipurpose furniture. Some of it, as you said, would be hard for a disabled person to work. But some are easy and don't require a lot of dragging or lifting. Like mirrors that unfold into tables. If it was very lightweight, with a hinge like on children's furniture to slow the folding part, I think even I could do it! I think a Murphy Bed would be too much for me, but there are some pieces of furniture that I'd like to try building if I can get stuff cut for me. I'll have to ask at the ReStore. Our local ReStores have lots of flooring! I think if there is any bamboo that's what I'll put in my van! They get donations from builders and it's 70% off retail. I plan to go up there to get the furring strips to attach my Reflectix to on the metal ribs of my van. Bob said for hot places he might go with just Reflectix. From my research, and from what Bob said, you need the air gap. So I'm going to see if Reflectix alone makes my van ambient temperature. I have a vent for the roof and will add a fan later. The ReStore is run by Habitat For Humanity. If you are disabled, you get a discount on top of the 70% off price that everyone gets. I didn't see much wood there, but I think it just gets gone fast!

I think of my van as my own little tiny house, and I think most tiny housers respect folks who live in vans and cars and skoolies and RVs. At least from forums, I've been on. Which one's better? The One That Pleases You :)

Personally, I think * all * of us/them should be allowed. Think of how many homeless folk could be saved if they had choices like:
Provide them a tiny house and a tiny mortgage.
Let them build their own place and provide parking or land, and advice to keep it legal to the International Building Code.
Let them get a car or van and be a VanDweller, or help them get a bus for a Skooolie or etc, etc.
Provide parking spaces for overnight camping or simply allow it in public areas that aren't allowed now.

Oops, am I getting political? Better get off the soapbox before I start quoting homeless stats. All I'm saying is, we need a new definition of the word "home". The way most of my friends see my VanLife decision, you'd think I wanted to become a serial killer or something awful like that! [rolls eyes]

I think the Tiny houses are really cool but I wouldn’t want one for traveling. It’s way too much weight.

I love my RV and you just have to do your research on them. They certainly aren’t all made the same.

I certainly would NOT want RVIA certification on my tiny home!

County inspector doing final for 'certificate of occupancy' asks: 'what's this here sticker labeled RVIA? this thing's an RV! and you can't live in an RV on your property...COO denied!'

just sayin.

Tiny homes have enough trouble finding property they can legally be set on.

Container homes are definitely a good way to recycle them...however rather than trying to move one, which would require hiring a crane or very large forklift to set it on a hired tractor trailer, it would probably be cheaper to just sell it and build another one--incorporating the 'lessons learned' after living a while in the first one. That would also give someone else the experience of owning one, along with your new one taking another container off the ever growing pile of used containers. :cool:

you don't need a crane or forklift to move a Conex container. there are specialized tilt trailers that can move them. however when loading and unloading the container gets tilted so everything inside must be secure. highdesertranger

camping bum said:
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]anybody in the Orlando area this weekend check out The Home & Garden Show at Aug 10-12, 2018 - Orange County Convention Center
they have 12 tiny houses set up and they are amazing ...
I have a booth set up for my company and have had the chance to see them today and fell in love[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Great chance to view 12 at 1 time and meet the builder[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
if you go stop by booth 669 and say hi to me.[/font][/font]

tried to add pic but too large, i'll try tomorrow if i can but i'm busy for the show

Edit - link removed by moderator rvwandering as per forum rules -   https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=10289
Howdy mods, just want to let you know the "Add picture tutorial" link is broken. I'm eager to read it! Thanks [emoji178]

The Dire Wolfess

[email protected] wrote:
"You can easily anchor them with concrete pylons and rebar and there are these metal units you implant deep in the concrete [they have long steel bars for this]. Then you bolt them to the concrete pylons. If you want to move, you unbolt. If you want permanent, you weld."

@HDR - might be a bit tough draggin it off them piers. :p

Not far from me there is a tiny home community on a beautiful lake.  https://theoutpostresort.com/the-preserve-tiny-house-community/  Looks like there are only 10 spaces left.  This park is BEAUTIFUL in Auburndale, FL, and about an hour away from Tampa and an hour away from Orlando.  Most have a lake view.  I was shocked that it is only $400 a month.  When I went by it seemed like it would be much more than that as the spaces are generous sized.  And I mean, it's right on the lake with a lake view. 

These houses are so pretty.  I mean if stix and brix are your thing, but you're a minimalist, I think they would be the way to go.  If you wanted a place to anchor down and stay there for a time, it would be a great choice.  You aren't married to it.  You can move on if you want to.

I seriously thought this was a very pricey place.  $400 a month seems like a bargain.  I think there are about 40 or 50 spaces total.  It's filling up quickly.  It opened up maybe a year or so ago.   I mean at $400 a month, it's about $13 a day on primo real estate.