How DID I Get Here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s good - six months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for them to practice some more as every time I go check the odds of healing quickly get better but knees still have a lower success rate than hips and shoulders. Only thing worse is ankles and my wife has a bad one as well!

Bullfrog, after having several bad surgeries and even having my femur broken in five places DURING a hysterectomy I only go to Vanderbilt. My surgeon there specializes in fixing knees that other doctors have messed up.

After this last knee all the therapists where I go for physical therapy we’re ranting and raving about the movement I was getting already on my first day of therapy and said that I was at least a month ahead of others when they just start and wanted to know who did my surgery.

Aug. 6, 2019 - Cherterr's LOG:

Funny how the 'universe' communicates to us through our own 'outreach' to others!

I saw a post in these forums yesterday of a person who was ready to hit the road, and all was prepared, and yet, she somehow just couldn't get going. (Wow, did THAT sound familiar).

I figured I wouldn't be much help since my own situation was similar, but decided to confess my sins, so to speak, so she could at least not feel all alone in her issue. On the re-read after posting, my own words spoke louder to me than anything else. MY problem become completely clear to me, and I am now planning accordingly.

INSPIRATION. Such a lovely word.

I realized when I began my 'trip' (around FIVE ridiculous years ago!) that my goals were very dissimilar to what I've ended up with.

In the beginning my thoughts leaned heavily toward visiting a lot of East Coast cities of yore, to do some 'boots on the ground' geneology work. You know; all those seriously cool things about your relatives that just aren't listed on Ancestry.com! None of this original 'inspiration' had a THING to do with Camping!

Sometimes along the road of life we get distracted, and that's not always a bad thing. However, as one ages, we become increasingly aware of the ticking clock. When you're not a spring chicken anymore you just can't believe you have enough time to do everything you'd like; but there's no reason not to TRY.
Just gotta remember what it is you DO like. ;)

I will be using my LOG here to remain loyal to myself and my plans.

TODAY'S GOAL:

House Cleaning - so that when I return things are in order and my cute little cabin hasn't been taken over by any 'critters'!!

This may be the goal of the week, perhaps turning into a deep cleaning storage prep and van pack, and on from there.  I've been telling myself for quite a while that I was NOT granting myself permission to leave until THIS place was all together. But.. I wasn't 'inspired' until yesterday:)
Go Help Others!  It's REALLY 'good for the soul'!! :angel:

See ya Tomorrow!! :)

Aug. 8, 2019

After some lengthy consideration I finally washed the little stack of 'dishes' from the last time I cooked that had been glaring at me from across the small spanse of my tiny home for weeks.  Around here utensils are only granted a seat in the dishpan after a thorough rinsing, and therefore, are only 'dirty' if needed for use.  I normally run a pretty tight ship; but these days since the Total Knee Replacement, I just don't give a sh*t anymore; except for the mental/emotional toll it takes on me to NOT be sitting in serene, lovely surroundings. :angel:

Eating out is pretty easy in these parts although not very healthy.  From foraging along the 3 or 4 burger and breakfast places within a 10 mile radius, I've gained a few pounds.  Yuk.

I decided to go to the grocery store (half a days journey!) for some 'real food'.  (Okay, it's actually 35 miles one way, but it does take a while to drive round trip.  After you add in the time at the store, it does kind of become a more lyrical sounding 'half a day's journey'. :):)

Down here in Texas, we are blessed (and I really mean that!) to have our own chain of grocery stores called HEB after the founder, Harold Edward Butt.  MM Hmm.. That's right.  (When MY kids were little, after being informed of this bit of trivia/history; they began calling it HeButt.)  Dear, dear.

ANYWAY... If you're ever near one, do go in.  I was particularly happy after yesterday's visit to the university area location. (There are FOUR in BCS== (Bryan/College Station!!))  Since it's summer and the students are still on leave and I went in the early morning, I avoided the crowd, and was surprised to find the addition of SCADS of pre packaged (yet local) salads, fruits already cut, etc etc.!  Have I gotten lazy?  You bet I have!  After 30 years of child rearing, homeschooling, in home child care, and a life in generally spent serving others... Heck Yeah I'm gonna be lazy sometimes.!! I do worry a bit about salmonella.. but hey... The chances are soooo minimal it hardly outweighs the convenience.  Just so you know:  I have always been a real food, cut from original, do it myself, scratch as much as possible person.  But I digress.

This morning I've started a list of "Van Food".  I'm starting with things that are non perishable.  Although I have one of those little auto refrigerators, it can't run ALL the time, unless I'm driving/running engine.  SO my first things on the list are Walnuts and Raisins.  That's it.  Guess I'll order some more off Amazon before I leave.  (They're organic, cheaper and packaged well for van travels).  I'll add items to the list as the next few days progress, as well as figuring out my 'van altered' daily routine list.

Okay.... that's it for now.. on to the dog bathing and laundry duties... or??  something else I may ultimately deem more important.  I'm really wanting to get going.  (Must check the forum on packing for the road/clothing, etc.!!) Maybe I'll just go shopping along the way.. no wait.. the dogs can't stay in the van in the heat.. hmm...  This whole thing reallllly reminds me of Rosanne RosannaDanna's quote: "It's aways somethin'.  If it's not one thing, it's another!".. But I enjoy the challenge. :)

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 6
Sept. 2, 2019

Gettng ready to GO.. FINALLY!! :):)

I figure about another week and I should be outta here. Mostly I'm waiting for just a little bit cooler weather to prevail since I'm taking Van only with dogs.

Since this is my 'See How Long I Can Stay Gone and Decide if I Want To Make This Permanent And Sell My Place'... Trip, I've been doing some 'spring housecleaning' in the event I want to just come back long enough to sell, and don't need More to DO.

I unloaded all non essential items from the van this morning. (i.e. 'camping' stuff.. Solar panels, that huge 'warming' pillow to cook in.. hell, I don't cook at Home!) I am now pretty happy with the amount of space I made for ACTUAL items I'll likely use. I can still cook in there if I want to, have many drawers that have space in, and aren't crowded, 2 completely empty small Sterilite bins to slide under bed, and the back end looks HUGE with 3/4ths of it now empty from removing my portable solar panels. Yeah... I am HAPPY. (I was a little deterred and shocked when I got in there the other day and it was .. just a mess!) I figure since the upper 'stock storage' that came in the 'conversion' van is so tiny as to seem mostly useless, I'll load that up with my yarn and knitting supplies!! :):)

Now, I'm on the task of filling it back up.. lol I've ordered my shelf stable items from Amazon this morning, (Almond Milk, Pecans and Walnuts, Raisins, and a nifty little ice bag w/spout to keep ice longer, and a little hanger thingy for a few clothes); and while waiting on the delivery on Thursday, I'll be combing thru my 'wardrobe' to see what can go, doesn't wrinkle, and still makes me look fairly human for those times I have to be in public!! lol Frankly, I could live in yoga pants and tee shirts, but since I'll be heading to cooler climes... maybe those can be my sleeping gear, or bottom layer of clothing if cold enough. (Need SOMETHIN' on for those 'midnight knocks'.. that hopefully won't come.. but I DO have dogs.. who hopefully can sleep thru the night like at home.. but.. they DO get demanding when nature calls! I can't very well jump out at the WalMart in my skivvies!)
I can't believe it... I'm actually gonna go. Finally. It's been two years since I got outta here?? Geeze.

See you soon, my wonderful TRIBE!!:):)

Thanks HDR and Others above..   :heart:   Cyndi and Cammalu. ..!!  Surgery Sisters we are!! lol :)

WELP... TODAY... Wed. Sept. 4, 2019:

I am paying bills to get them all out of the way for a couple of months.  (The annoying non online ones get TWO months; cause.. I hate snail mail..grr.. lol)

It so EFFING HOT outside,  I'm having difficulty loading up.  Any food would be baked if left in for more than a day, and frankly.. it's just too HOT to be IN the van long enough to rearrange, etc.  Guess I'll have to get up with the sun again. :):)  My current packing plan is to stage it all on the kitchen table.  All I have left is food, tech stuff, and clothes.  I've got the kitchen and basics (that won't MELT!) already in van.

Looking VERY forward to working at the Van Build in November :D and picked up a couple of 'cheapy' tools cause they were tiny, rather than take my big saw and level.  Hey.. it's better than showing up empty handed, right?  I may still take a couple of power tools.  I've been looking for an excuse for YEARS to get a cordless drill! ;):)

My 'plan of the day' for my first destination is:  North Dakota.  It looks cool enough temp wise up there for now.  AND  it and S. Dakota are on my to do list.  Don't know WHAT is up there.. but anything close enough to Omaha works for me.  (We sissys like to stick close to the familiar..even if it Was 55 years ago.. lol)  I missed a lot when I went back there for Hurricane Harvey, because of the walking involved.  Now that I've got a new knee.. I can Do the town next time I get there!

The reason I say 'plan of the day' is because I like to maintain fluidity.  What's the point of having freedom, if you can't constantly change your mind, huh?? :):)

My wilderness cat's daily meal will be taken care of by a neighbor, and I offered a place to park to another traveler just for 'security' while I'm gone, but haven't heard back yet.

I may come back to Texas before I head out in Nov. for Pahrump, ... or not.. lol We shall see.

Hope to run into many of you I've come to 'know' on here over the years; :heart: even if I have been away from the forum for a while.. it is so nice to see familiar names; and fun to be able to help and get to know the newer folks.  Thank you for all that inspiration!
I'm finally feeling like I have more to look forward to than be afraid of!!

Okay... back to work.

Where are you again Cher? Stop by if you are heading thru KY.

So. Central TEXAS.

I think I'm heading straight North for some cool first. I'll eventually hit KY! :) Thanks for the invite.

Sept. 14, 2019
Finally hit the road on the 20 year anniversary of being Widowed.
Main empahsis: Get OUT of this F'ing HEAT and HUMIDITY that is So. Cent. Texas!! Going NORTH. Directly North.

Sept. 15th:
Within less than 24 hours, mission accomplished. Even Amarillo had a breeze and way less humidity. Ran with no A/C most of the day after leaving.

Sept 16:
Today I find myself in beautiful (enchanting, for SURE!) New Mexico.. WEARING a SHIRT over my tshirt!! That's right. I said it!... YAY!!!

Today's goal: Find a place to Sleep IN the van instead of LaQuinta.. lol (Too much lugging of stuff in and out.. ugh!) :) My dreams of future VanDwelling loom large and very close on the horizon! And I'm pretty darn sure MY bed in the van is waaay more comfy than what I've gotten the last two nights. ;)

SO... The sage of NM.  LOVED northern New Mexico.  REALLY loved Chama on the way back down from Durango.. Where... Rusty the juvenile of my dogs decided to develop a seemingly incurable case of diarrhea.  This was week two of my travels.

SO.. we scrambled for home as fast as we could go, got to his (own personal) vet... took him home and miraculously.... in less than 24 hours his poop turned Completely Normal.  I sh*t you not. All he was given was one oral dose of an antibiotic.

Rusty is extremely sensitive.  This is good AND bad.  lol  He's mah Boy!

Been home since.  It was winter, and this is where I would be anyway so didn't try to think about travel so much.  THEN Feb..... and all the freak out over Covid.  And now... riots.. WTF???!!!!

C'moooooooooon, Universe.. let's get this thing rollin' here.

Decided to lose some weight gained from way to much sittin on my butt... so for now... hangin' at the homestead on ridiculously strict (but successful) diet for a couple more weeks.
On the Up Side.... the grass is starting to dry up and die from the heat.. so won't be long before I can go again. Whee!

Car Dogs.jpg

Attachments

• Car Dogs.jpg
    Car Dogs.jpg
    930.6 KB · Views: 10
Hey HDR!! I apologize for not seeing your response all this time.
I been thinkin’ ‘bout cha’ lately.
About to make another entry in my log soon.
How are YOU?? Maybe one day our paths will actually cross!

cherterr said:
Hey HDR!! I apologize for not seeing your response all this time.
I been thinkin’ ‘bout cha’ lately.
About to make another entry in my log soon.
How are YOU?? Maybe one day our paths will actually cross!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but HDR passed about a month ago. There is a thread about it.

Cammalu said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but HDR passed about a month ago.  There is a thread about it.
Thanks. Cam…
I received a PM a little after posting.
  Our ‘paths’ will still cross one day.
He was a special unique spirit

Well- I’m baaa-aack.
A-gain.
Prepping van for a trek of (hopefully) some duration.
  First on my list- Decided to FINALLY go for it and remove my bench seat electric Conversion van bed. The lack of storage is insane.
  Sunday was one of life’s Best days ever. If I had known I’d be THIS friggin’ happy- I’d have done it years ago.  :D