• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Time for a new (used) laptop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertRose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My laptop died as a result of faulty wiring in the old building where I currently live (but not for long). Renter's insurance doesn't cover it (no other claims this year so the claim is only applying to my deductible). If anyone has a good used laptop they no longer need or want, please let me know. Thanks.

DesertRose said:
I've been told by 2 different computer repair people that the thing is not fixable. Too many error codes, they can't get in, etc. etc.  I'm not going to mess with it anymore.  It's an old  Toshiba Satellite. It's served me well, I got my money's worth out of it for  the past 4-1/2 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a Toshiba Satellite that is about 5 years old and I can't kill the thing. No matter what I throw at it, nor how many times windows update tries to screw it up...it always comes back. Of course I know what I'm doing, but even if you don't - it might be worth trying to revive it with the win 10 media creation tool, or a lightweight linux build. They're pretty self explanatory these days.

When it came time to replace pc #2 two years ago, I figured heck, lets get another Toshiba Satellite. Night and day difference - not again.

You may have one of the good reliable ones-worth a try to fix it yourself for free if you can.

DesertRose said:
My laptop died as a result of faulty wiring in the old building where I currently live (but not for long). Renter's insurance doesn't cover it (no other claims this year so the claim is only applying to my deductible). If anyone has a good used laptop they no longer need or want, please let me know. Thanks.

I bought a refurbished one because I hate windows 10 and wanted 7.  It cost me about $200. and works great.  These are usually off lease computers and are solid.  This one is an HP Elite Book.

Thank you all for your replies. :) I have had a busy couple of days or I would have replied sooner.

Motruck, there was a short in the room where the laptop was plugged in. There was a spark when the laptop was turned on, and all the AC plugs became inoperable. The garage next to the room was also affected, but only partly so (some plugs work and some don't). The wiring is in a 95 year old structure. I don't know how old the wiring actually is, but there are problems with it throughout the house here and there.

MizJewels, I tried to fix it myself. Too many error codes. I couldn't get in, on most attempts. When I could get in, I couldn't perform any administrator tasks or tools. It simply wouldn't allow any changes in any way, shape or form. From Control Panel to Device Manager, etc.

I am thinking to try one more computer repair person before giving up.

Sounds more like an operating system problem than a dead laptop problem. Maybe dead battery in the laptop + power outage = corrupted data on hard drive. It does happen.

If you have rescue disks I'd try a reinstall. Or you could try one of the (free and much quicker) linux flavors.

Either approach is free to try.

If you do end up getting a new one, my budget for laptops is usually about $120. I got a 7yo Dell business class laptop (mucho power but much hungry for power), and recently bought a nearly-new low end Asus laptop of a member of The Other Forum for $100. Benchmarks at very close to the old Dell but uses 1/3rd the power. :)

This Dell I'm using now was dead dead... Replaced the HD and bought a windows 8 install disc. It bounced around in my truck for about 5 years prior to my retiring. Over those years I've replaced the screen, keyboard, screen bezel and cover with a cool surfing thing. Upgraded the memory and processor too. Right now the HD is giving me some issues with bad sectors (5 year old HD) and I have a new HD ready to go in it when it finally dies. Got everything backed up. Laptops are easy to fix once you get past the bazillion screws holding it together. My HP laptop is still in pieces on the workbench. Had to do a motherboard replacement for that one and I haven't gotten motivated to put it back together. If you like the Toshiba maybe replace the HD and install a fresh OS on it. Or, wipe the HD clean and install a fresh OS on it to see if that works. If you don't have any bad sectors on it then it should wake up just fine.