Thoughts on the Alpicool Refrigerators?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B and C said:
I would wait the day with the unit upright.  This is just like a house fridge with a compressor except it will run off 12v.
Thank you sir!

I keep slapping my hand from plugging in and testing it out. Would be a shame to ruin it and waste dat cash in one day.

highdesertranger said:
"It's my understanding that with DC circuits you want as short a run from the battery as possible."

double yes.

yes you can and should shorten it.  as for the warranty I have no idea.  buy a spare cord shorten it and keep the other for any warranty that might come up.  actually if you hard wire it to a fuse block that is the best way.

highdesertranger

A spare cord would be good, but I don't know where I'd find one with the same square plug that this unit uses.

actually I didn't think the price was all that outrageous. it appears to be good quality. now-a-days anything worth it's salt is very expensive. highdesertranger

slow2day said:
OK,back to your original question. I've been using a C20 for the past 8 mos. and have been happy with it. One thing about though is the temp indicator is way off...like about 20 degrees.  I use an infrared thermometer to periodically check the temp. A C20 is the same as a C15 except it has a larger top. It's still not high enough for a 1/2-gall. milk container though.

I've kept the usual fridge items in it: condiments,yogurt,cheese,lunchmeats,salsa,potato salad,milk,etc.  With a 100w solar and 105ah battery setup, when there's several rainy/cloudy days in a row, the battery does get drawn down.

I was in a hurry when I set it all up last spring and don't have wiring/solenoid connected to my alternator but am adding that now along with relocating the fridge closer to the battery.

The C20 was protected in shipping by two pieces of foam at top and bottom and I used them plus some foam board insulation to better insulate. I built a little frame from scraps that holds a foam filter over the intake for the cooling fan.
After letting my rebranded Alpicool c20 rest over night I plugged it up a few moments ago.

It is very quiet and I am surprised at how fast it cooled. The initial temp was reading as 77 and in 10  minutes it was reading 32! I just glanced over at it now however and it is saying 7 degrees and has said that for a few minutes... not sure what to make of that.  The lowest setting available was -4 degree... I put it there.. maybe 7 is the actual lowest cause it is not budging.

The instruction manual says to download the Alpicool app. I did so but it isn't reading the fridge. Did you have any issues with using the ap/?

ohh there it goes.. it just dropped to 5 degree.. lets see how long it takes to get to -4/

Trebor English said:
The Alpicool will need at least 10 amp hours per day.  That's more than a half of the Jackery 200 watt hour capacity.  The Jackery will take many hours to recharge.  Taking the battery to work, refilling it, and then taking it back to the fridge could work except while you are at work the fridge has no electricity.  As the sole source of electricity for the fridge it seems weak.  I wouldn't expect any less than a 100 watt solar panel to work with the Alpicool.
I would need 2 Jackery  things. One to run and one to be charging. I don't know if it would work though. I am thinking about solar but????

I would cut the ciggy plug off and hard wire through a fuse. You won't have to worry about the ciggy plug backing out and ruining your food. Check which pin is positive with a meter before you cut and you shouldn't have any problems.

The center terminal is positive on a cig lighter style plug, the outer terminals are negative.  That's standard, and on a DC system cannot be reversed.

You can remove the ciggy plug and wire into anderson plug/power pole just remember to add fuse in line.Have done this on an Engle and Brass monkey fridges,added 5 amp thermal fuse,

JerryJ said:
The center terminal is positive on a cig lighter style plug, the outer terminals are negative.  That's standard, and on a DC system cannot be reversed.

I guess I forgot to specify the fridge end is what needs to be identified as the ciggy plug will be discarded.

The ciggy plug end will be discarded, but the wires can be identified once it's opened and then labeled.

Or am I confused?!?

As long as you know which wire is connected to the positive at the plug where it plugs into the fridge. I see two round holes on the fridge end plug, as long as you know which is positive, then you are good to go.

Disassembling the ciggy plug will also give you this information. Never done it that way. I always found which socket was positive, cut the cord to the length and wired it up.

Ok, we are on the same page, good.

On the cord that came with my Alpicool, the wire with the printing on it is the positive wire going to the center terminal.

If you are looking into the square holes on the fridge plug end with the indentation down, the right side is the positive terminal.

I'm not trying to be petty or argue, just don't want anyone frying their fridge with reverse polarity!