Thoughts on the Alpicool Refrigerators?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'm confused, what confusion exists with my method? I never pass up an opportunity to learn!

"If you are looking into the square holes on the fridge plug end with the indentation down, the right side is the positive terminal."
The right side of the plug as you're looking at it or its' right side? The devil is in the details.

Plug the ciggy plug into power and check which of the two holes on the fridge end is positive. Cut the cord, strip the wire and set VOM for Ohms. The wire that is shorted to the hole you identified is the positive wire. I would also mark the fridge itself.

Both methods will get you there but I think my way is a little more foolproof. If you set the wire down or somehow forget which wire was positive, you have the identified hole in the plug to reference. YMMV

B and C said:
"If you are looking into the square holes on the fridge plug end with the indentation down, the right side is the positive terminal."
The right side of the plug as you're looking at it or its' right side?  The devil is in the details.

Yep, semantics can be shocking when dealing with electricity  :D

In this case, I meant the right hand side when looking into the terminal receiving holes.
And with this product, just remember the positive wire is the one with the labeling traveling the entire length of the wire.

Attachments

• 1594648963659-1804276899.jpg
    1594648963659-1804276899.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1594649002738-488244509.jpg
    1594649002738-488244509.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1594649072162-1352184210.jpg
    1594649072162-1352184210.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 7
That is pretty standard to have the wire with the ridge, writing or stripe to be positive but I have run into some that are backwards.

We both got there, just using different measures. :)

bandaidqueen said:
In some other threads some people have mentioned having an Alpicool Refrigerator. I know it's no where near as good as and Engel or Dometic, but SOOOOOO much cheaper!
Hi, bandaidqueen, what did you do? How has it worked for you?
Bob said in the 50L ICECO review that he was going to review cheaper small 12v refrigerators, but I haven’t seen any yet. Except for the few years when I had a regular camper trailer, I’ve lived without refrigeration and I’m tired of it! I don’t want to worry about getting sick from overnight leftovers like I do today. Coved or canned chicken? Only a doctor knows for sure  :s
Like you, I want something pretty small. Are there other options? Unfortunately the smaller ICECO refrigerators are sold out.

Just an FYI. The Cho C-15 is identical to the Alpicool C-15. The only possible difference is the HI battery preservation setting is 12.0v on the Cho where it is listed at 11.5v on the Alpicool. The Alpicool bluetooth app works on the Cho. Also I see a 90 day warranty on the Cho but I haven't seen the warranty on the Alpicool.

When I bought my Alpi C20 off Amazon last year there was a question about the warranty. The reply from the seller was... "Spare parts are available."

I ordered and paid for a iceco go 20 near 1 July. They emailed that they shipped it last month but said latter that it was still On back order. So they notified me two days ago that it has been shipped and will be arriving by 10 August. So maybe there is hope that they are back in stock they appear to be a good refrigerator and Bob Wells always says Zarfoss compressor is the best and that’s what they have. I like the fact that you can freeze in one compartment and chill in the other and if I have that freezer full of bottles of frozen water and then If I out of energy for the refrigerator I can remove the separator and at least make it a nice cooler for a day or two. I promised the representative from iceco that I Would definitely give him very good recommendations on this form and others if they satisfied me. I’m impressed with his attitude and I hope that I’ll be impressed with his soon delivery. By the way when they informed me That they missed that first shipping date they promised to send me a free cover for about 50 or $60 value. I didn’t turn them down.

hugemoth said:
Just an FYI. The Cho C-15 is identical to the Alpicool C-15. The only possible difference is the HI battery preservation setting is 12.0v on the Cho where it is listed at 11.5v on the Alpicool. The Alpicool bluetooth app works on the Cho. Also I see a 90 day warranty on the Cho but I haven't seen the warranty on the Alpicool.

I took a chance on the SetPower FC-12, which looks just the same as the out of stock ICECO 12. The SetPower has a 2 year warranty on the compressor, supposedly. I guess I’ll be a guinea pig on this.

One thing I noticed right away is the lid was difficult to open so I trimmed down the little nubs on the sides of the lid that hold it down. A minute with a sharp pocket knife is all it takes to make it much easier to open.

My post yesterday mentioned a compressor by Zarfoss that was a faux pas it’s actually Dan Foss sorry.

Danfoss makes good compressors. Many years ago I bought a Danfoss 12v compressor and controller and transplanted them into a 1.7 cubic foot dorm refrigerator. (I used to be a refrigeration tech.) After adding 2" of foam insulation the refer would average 11% run time at 4 amps. Worked great until I accidentally zapped it with 80 volts.

Danfoss was bought in 2010 by a German based multinational, then absorbed into Seecop (sp?), and manufacturing moved to China. That's why you see so many cheap compressor fridges theses days, the design has been "borrowed". The question remains, how long will they last? I've heard of Engels and Dometics lasting close to 10 years, so to get a comparable value, a $200 Alpicool would need to last around 3 years.

Mine is on it's second summer and in the past 3 weeks it's labored thru some high temps. I've added two layers of insulation and it performs well for a cheap fridge.

PS: I meant to quote posr #76.

Regarding the Alpicool DC power cord. It came with a red cap on the cig plug end. Is that just to protect during shipping or do you keep that on when plugging in? (Never used these plug before)

There used to be a slight difference in size between american made and made elsewhere power ports. Could it be that it is just a spacer to fit the larger port?

A pic would help dramatically.

The 12v plug that mine came with has a red end but it stays in place. There is a replaceable fuse inside. The plug does have a strange flip out red plastic piece with an unknown function. Only thing I can figure is maybe its for a better grip for removing the plug from the socket.

Disregard previous post, I mixed up 2 different cords.

The red cap should be left in place when used with a common 12v socket. Removing it makes it fit is a different kind of socket.