Thoughts on the Alpicool Refrigerators?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the Apicool 40 since November. It's working for me, but it has minor issues.

1) Yes, you do need a refrigerator thermometer, you can't rely on the control panel display. But once I got the temperature I wanted, the fridge  keeps it there, regardless of what the display says.

2) It comes with two connectors, one for a cig plug, the other for shore power. Both fit the fridge's socket very tightly. In fact, they fit so tightly that after I had switched sources several times, the socket came completely loose! This left some exposed wires which sparked when they came in contact with the fridge's metal housing. A little electrical tape fixed that, and now the whole works dangles outside the fridge. Now, when I want to switch power sources, I first disconnect the current power source, use something like a key to help me pry the socket and plug end apart, and then plug in the new plug end. I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing could fix this, and someday I will meet that person.

Attachment-1.jpeg

Attachments

• Attachment-1.jpeg
    Attachment-1.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 9
I have the Alpicool C22 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FY8CNFH/?th=1), which costs $249, but I really love it. If you have medicines that need to be kept extra-cold, that little "freezer" compartment would come in really handy. It does get below freezing, but not by much, regardless of the temperature set on the rest of the fridge. I've had it since Nov., 2018 and it is still going strong. The temperature gauge is off by 5-10 degrees F, but I just compensate and everything is fine. There is a routine one can use to calibrate the temperature gauge, but it is too much of a pain in the ass. 

Also, remember my fridge-in-a-cooler trick, shown here: . With that setup, my fridge doesn't have to run very often at all. My overall electricity usage for that thing is very low.

I just got my Alpicool C20 today, and I'm already impressed. I've only tried it on wall power so far, and it cooled down from 86F to 32F in less than 45 minutes (I'm keeping my apartment at 80F right now). It is very quiet, can't hear it without putting my ear right next to the vents. Build quality seems to be good, no gaps in seams, no warps in panels, and the lid has a satisfying snap to it when fully closed.

I purchased it for $199, a Renogy 100w solar kit for $129, and a battery for $80, putting me all in for about $400. I should recoup that total cost within 10 months when you figure the cost of ice, plus gas to get the ice, plus spoiled/drowned food you get using an ice chest. What a first seemed an expensive luxury now seems like a no-brainer!

" What a first seemed an expensive luxury now seems like a no-brainer!"

agreed trying to keep food at a safe temp and environment in an ice chest is an expensive lesson in frustration.

highdesertranger

I have to say, I used ice chests for years when the alternative was running a propane fridge. When I built my new campervan I figured it was still the way to go. After 6 months I put in the compressor fridge. Now that I have a compressor fridge the ice chest is relegated to a few times when I need to store larger amounts of food for a few days.

yep I used an ice chest for years too. right around 40 years. and I tried everything to get around spending money on a 12v compressor refrigerator. the money I spent trying not to buy a 12v was wasted money. I would have been dollars ahead if i just would have bought the 12v refrigerator to begin with. I now have three one is used as a freezer and 2 are used as refrigerators. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
....  I now have three one is used as a freezer and 2 are used as refrigerators.  highdesertranger
Now we know, and I am coming over for dinner.
-crofter

While I'm sorry some of you spent more than you needed to, I really appreciate all of your posts! You all helped me avoid the waste scenario with ice chests, and I am grateful!

LoveCareThinkDo said:
Also, remember my fridge-in-a-cooler trick, shown here: . With that setup, my fridge doesn't have to run very often at all. My overall electricity usage for that thing is very low.

Great video, thanks!  What size Coleman fits the 22 Alpicool?

Crofter and Sofi. yes to both of you just bring your own shovel. LOL. highdesertranger

Somehow suspected bringing a shovel when visiting HDS might be a good idea.  Just didn't want to say... :dodgy:   (Luv 'ya, Mod :heart: )

I just bought the Alpicool T36. It came with an extremely long 12 volt power cord. My unit is only 3' away from a 12 volt outlet. Can I cut & shorten the cord or will I screw something up (and void any warranty)? It's my understanding that with DC circuits you want as short a run from the battery as possible.

My 12v fridge arrived today.. an Alpicool knock off I think.

I am reading the instructions and see nothing about waiting 24 hrs before turning on.

I know that a regular fridge will be ruined if it had been on its side and the oils drain into the system and then plugged in. Should I wait 24 hours just in case it was mishandled and fluids have moved into it?

"It's my understanding that with DC circuits you want as short a run from the battery as possible."

double yes.

yes you can and should shorten it. as for the warranty I have no idea. buy a spare cord shorten it and keep the other for any warranty that might come up. actually if you hard wire it to a fuse block that is the best way.

highdesertranger

desert_sailing said:
My 12v fridge arrived today.. an Alpicool knock off I think.

I am reading the instructions and see nothing about waiting 24 hrs before turning on.

I know that a regular fridge will be ruined if it had been on its side and the oils drain into the system and then plugged in. Should I wait 24 hours just in case it was mishandled and fluids have moved into it?

I would wait the day with the unit upright.  This is just like a house fridge with a compressor except it will run off 12v.