This should hold them.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motrukdriver

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how to mount the solar panels to the roof of the Jeep.  Found this and it should do the trick nicely.  A set of these going width wise and then an additional aluminum piece running length wise on either side.  I'm wanting to mount 3 panels on the roof with removable pin hinges on either side so I can tilt the panels up 45 degrees.  I'll need to make the supports with matching hinge pieces of course.   Then an additional 3 panels sitting on removable L shaped brackets hanging off the side with the C side being 45 degrees.  Probably just some plastic capped screw hold downs to keep them steady.  I'll take the side panels and brackets off when traveling.   This set up should give me room under the top solar panels to stow the removable bathroom walls when traveling.  It's strong enough to support a bicycle going down the road so I don't think 3 solar panels would be an issue. 

Note:  This is a 1:55 minute long video of top racks being installed on the factory cargo racks of a vehicle.

Looks promising.  The open area underneath will also help cool panels in use. 

I did a similar thing with Vantech rack crossbars and it works fine.  Front and rear crossbars in place:

Lengthwise struts in place, panels mounted nearly flush to rule out rack shadows:

I did recess them about 1/4" in case I wanted to carry something over the panels. 

Can you make a quick pencil sketch out your plans for the detachable side panels and post a phone pic of it?  Or MS Paint scribble on a pic of the Jeep so I can get a handle on your idea? 

Since the primary panels will always be up there generating when the sun is out you may not have to deploy the secondaries very often, or even tilt the primaries.   

It will be a fun project to watch!

The side brackets would be a very simple design something like this:

413817502.jpg

Probably 2 for each long edge of the panel held in place with double sticky stuff.  Maybe a removable or hinged door support to keep the panels at the right angle.  I wanna keep it as simple as possible with the least amount of take down time.  Hopefully the weight will keep it in placed but if not I can always figure some type of lock for it.  1/4" x 2" aluminum flat should work.

Nice simple design for the solar panel 'struts' you have drawn, but I would include a locking pin in the top hooks to keep everything where you intend for it to be, especially if a gust of wind comes along...

Take the side brackets off and stow them away for moving to the next location. Simple setup and take down. Could add more security as the design gets further along before fabrication. My Jeep is old so actually adding some locking brackets to the sheet metal isn't much of a problem. Not something I'd consider if I had a brand new vehicle.

Make sure to not put support anywhere " but " on frame / NEVER put a support like that in middle of panel !

The support will be on the brackets most likely 1/4" x 2" aluminum flat, one on each long edge. If it seems to flex too much I can use two of them spaced evenly down the bracket coming together at one mounting or resting point on the back door and rear quarter panel.

Lots of portable panels and tilting panels are supported in the midsection.

The aluminum frames will spread the load. This is a portable setup.