This is spray insulation?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stretch

Reaction score
[img=321x241]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af132/stretchsos/IMG_0073.jpg[/img]
[img=321x241]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af132/stretchsos/IMG_0074.jpg[/img]

I'm still in the looking and dreaming phase, but if I had an extra $16,000, I might consider this 2012 Savana.  I thought this was odd, though. At first glance, I thought the interior had rust, which made no sense. In the description, however, it says that the owner installed spray insulation. That doesn't look like it could possibly be effective at all. 

Is this a thing? Or is it just weird orange stuff that would have to be scraped off by the eventual owner? :)

That foam job is a HUGE win if the next owner is planning on a conversion buildout. I can tell looking at the pics that it's a professional quality job... probably a value of $1500+ if looking to get someone to do it.

Damn. Now I REALLY wish I were ready to buy. 

I don't know why, but I assumed it would be thicker, and...puffy.  :)

Gary68 said:
how is that done?

These things on a specialty rotary tool most likely:

20.5_open_cell_cob.jpg

it also has a shine like it has been sealed with something

I seen it done with a big saw blade by hand. the blade looks like a hack saw blade on the course side and is about 24 inches long, it has handles at both ends. you could make one any length by using a band saw blade. highdesertranger

So, continuing my dumb questions, the fact that it's been shaved means there's no insulationing value any longer?

Not relevant....just reminded me.....that I ain't right.

Super-Antics-Funny-Shave-Your-Wife.jpg
:p

the shaving just evens it out so that the inner wall can go on smooth. the insulation will totally fill the cavity between the ribs. the ribs are what you use to shave against, just like the studs in a house. if done correctly the spray foam is about the best way to go, however it's vey expensive. a note, the professional spray foam is not the same as that spray foam in a can you get at hardware stores. DO NOT use the spray foam in a can against any metal surface. highdesertranger

They also shave it with 30" long sawzall blades.  Here's a pic where you can see what the foam looks like when it's sprayed on and what it looks like after it's shaved.  Shaving it is necessary to even out the walls so they can be finished with drywall or paneling in a van's case.   When spraying a house, shaving it takes about 3x longer than the actual application.  Sawzall, hand saw and hand scrapers to get to the finished product.  The amount of waste is impressive, when I had my house done, the waste material filled up a 24' box truck.

Great score for someone that wants to do a conversion, and you could probably even use it to negotiate the price down, pretending that it will be a big hassle for you to remove it all.

2nd pic of a handsaw for cutting foam

Attachments

• Foam before-after.jpg
    Foam before-after.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Foam saw.jpg
    Foam saw.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 0