Thinking of starting a blog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Reaction score
Any pointers? Are some formats better than others? I'd like to start documenting stuff like a journal but I know nothing about this stuff.

<B>Some blogs cost money, some don't. Use a free one. Test drive a few and see what you like, delete the one that is hard for you.</B><BR><B>Have you been looking at all the blogs people have on&nbsp; cheaprvliving?&nbsp; I use blogger, some problems with it, others use wordpress, I don't know anything about it except some people complain about it too.&nbsp; Whatever, once you start one, you will want to stick with it because you will be building a following.</B><BR><B><FONT size=4>Dragonfly&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><FONT size=3>my blog is below the picture of my Zombie Apocolypse escape module, Little Sanitee.</FONT></B><BR>

<P><FONT size=3>I think Blogger is easier, but I've been having issues with it for&nbsp;for months, that are apparently unsolvable. I have a wordpress blog, and although you can do more with it, it's not as user friendly (when blogger works).&nbsp; I'm no help at all.</FONT><BR><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<BR><FONT size=3>if i can help you figure anything out, feel free to PM</FONT><BR><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<BR><FONT size=3>There's also livejournal,&nbsp; tumblr. All are free.</FONT></P><FONT size=3>LifeHacker does a pretty good comparison</FONT><br><BR><A href="http://lifehacker.com/5568092/five-best-blogging-platforms" target=_blank>http://lifehacker.com/5568092/five-best-blogging-platforms</A><br>

Wordpress,<div>go with wordpress, easy, free, ease of use, except in loading pics which take some effort, but free and easy otherwise.&nbsp;</div><div>Personally I think blogger is a dog to read or use etc</div>

Wordpress can and will look like a real website, or a journal it has way too many options.<div>Remember the following and you will be ok;</div><div>Pages are like static website pages, they always stay there.</div><div>Posts are like blog or journal entries, they flow and will leave the page but you can always find them.</div><div><br></div><div>The order of the pages;</div><div>are in family groups so the parent is the main page and other pages off of them are child pages. You can move them around as wanted easy enough when you know how.</div>

I use ikiwiki (yes, it does blogs as well as wikis) on a vps I pay $5/month for.&nbsp;&nbsp; Everything&nbsp; is stored in git (a versions control system).&nbsp; Not for everybody, but for those of us comfortable with linux and its tools it give a lot of control and no ads placed by others.&nbsp; If it ever becomes widly popular, I might have to upgrade service but then I might be able to make money with ads on the blog.<br>

Blogger has been good for Heidi and I. Simple, and if you can code at all, you can customize it and save your templates etc. Has a lot of options, is free and can generate an income as well. My only problem is keeping up with my blogging. I used to be better at it, but lately I have been a slacker! Soon though! It is fun to do anyway and we have made a ton of good friends that way. Just like with forums, you get to know other bloggers of the same interest. We have met a few of them out on the road and since they blog, you really know them pretty well already!&nbsp;

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Looks like I'll have to invest more time than I was hoping lol.