Theft protection?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelgianPup

Reaction score
Some time ago, I ran across an odd thing, and wonder if anyone could identify what it is.

It was a still photo of the front end hitch of a trailer, but the caption was not talking about the Odd Thing.

It looked like a smooth, fitted metal cover for a trailer hitch, maybe brass, possibly to prevent theft.  

Does such a thing exist?  I have often wondered if it was possible to unhitch a trailer and do something to prevent someone from hauling it off.

Any thoughts?

There are various trailer tongue locks on the market.  Most put up little more than token resistance against aggressive attacks.  Proven industries makes something that really makes a thief work for it.  It encloses the tongue so it can't be mounted on to a towing ball.  

https://www.provenlocks.com

There are other options.  Immobilizing at least one of the wheels is a good tactic.  Locking a chain or anti theft cable through a wheel and around the tongue will do this.    Chaining front and rear wheels together, if there is more than one axle, also works.  Chaining a cinderblock to a wheel.  If the lock is located under the trailer it's harder to cut or pick.  
Locking the tongue jack in the down position works too.  
There is no way of making anything 100% theft proof.  The idea is to make the trailer as inconvenient to steal as possible.  When spending money to keep things yours make sure to get quality.  Doing it cheap gets you robbed twice.

BelgianPup said:
 . . . I have often wondered if it was possible to unhitch a trailer and do something to prevent someone from hauling it off.
Any thoughts?

The first rule of designing any defensive position is to define who (or what) you are protecting against.

- thief of opportunity, just looking for anything to steal: any of the afore mentioned locks will work.
 - normal thief looking to steal a trailer like yours:  they will come with a cordless cutoff wheel and make short work of any of the above mentioned locks.
 - professional thief looking to steal your trailer:  24 hour guard is the only thing that will stop them.

My best advice: good insurance.
Next best: remove enough wheels so a thief can't just drive off with your trailer.

My best protection against theft is an old beat up van. It looks pretty bad on the outside but it’s very mechanically sound. I think most people would pass mine up and move on to find something that looks better. As a matter fact I don’t look very good either.

Generic looking white trailers are the ones most likely to be stolen and the least likely to get recovered. A unique color or graphic design is easy for the cops and other citizens to spot and remember seiing going down the road. Most people try to be stealthy and generic but that in the long term is increasing the risk of theft and decreasing the chance of recovery. Lock it up as best you can. Don't go off and leave it unattended for long periods of time on a regular schedule. Camp with other people you know if you a really worried about security. Install a tracking device.

Hypothetical: A Rottweiler with a 20' lead hooked to the trailer tongue.

Electronic trailer brakes cannot be left "on" in the fully locked position for very long. highdesertranger

Thank you for all of the ideas!

I'm still looking for the casing I described, but maybe I'm looking up the wrong word(s). When I look up 'trailer hitch', the photos show the back of pickup trucks.

What is that sort of triangular thing that sticks out in front of the trailer?

I guess the "thing" I'm looking for is called a Trailer Tongue Lock.

highdesertranger said:
Electronic trailer brakes cannot be left "on" in the fully locked position for very long.  highdesertranger
That's very true.  What I'm talking about is mechanically adjusting the shoes in the drums so the brakes are fully locked up with no power.   It would only work for long term situations and it would be a royal pain to do.   The only way to practically move it would be with a flatbed or a low boy.  What thief trailers a trailer? Maybe dollies might work, but the only person who is going to those lengths is a repo man. Of course if there is no adjustment then it won't work. It's just a hypothetical pondering.

Cammalu said:
HDR has a removable tongue.
  That will work against all, but a thief that is determined to take that specific trailer.   It can be made it even more frustrating by adding a cow bell to the safety chains and locking the chains to the empty bolt holes.  

"I need more cowbell!"

Alas some trailers don't have removable tongue parts.

shadowmoss said:
That sounds painful.
Only if you weld without PPE.  Painful no, involved yes.  It costs a lot less if you can weld and have access to equipment.   As a one time investment it's a pretty penny, but it's nothing against the price of a trailer and all that's inside it, to say nothing of lost time and suffering.    It's a cruel fact of life that honest people have to pay and pay, while criminals get things for free.  We can at least take comfort in making life harder for those who would make us homeless.

BelgianPup said:
Thank you for all of the ideas!

I'm still looking for the casing I described, but maybe I'm looking up the wrong word(s).  When I look up 'trailer hitch', the photos show the back of pickup trucks. 

What is that sort of triangular thing that sticks out in front of the trailer?

That's the tongue.