The switch from Car Camping to Vanlife!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born2Explore

Reaction score
Hello from sunny Florida! 
So in March (2017) my wife and I took our Subaru on a 5,200mi cross country trip to CO, AZ, UT. It was my first time ever going further West than Dallas, TX... and it was AMAZING! We were able to find a few free campsites using resources Bob mentions frequently, and for 4 nights, we lived/camped out of our little car. On our drive back home we drove 26 hours straight with no sleep from Denver, CO back to North Florida (I do NOT recommend, it was stupid and unsafe), but we used that time to really start thinking about what we wanted to do with our lives...

Fast forward a month, and I turned down a promotion. Fast forward another month, and we sold nearly everything we had. Fast forward another month, and we moved out of a 3bdr house we were renting and moved in with a relative (not because we had to, but because we wanted to save as much as possible!). We set goals and set our minds back in March to eventually buy a vehicle to more comfortably travel in. At the time, we were not sure what we would get, and that has evolved over the last 6 months. We thought maybe a small travel trailer, or even a cargo trailer. Then we began looking at Class C RV's, then Class B's. But this weekend, we sold our 2016 Subaru and bought an Extended Chevy Hi-top van!! 

My wife and I look forward to sharing our adventures here on the forum as we continue to figure this whole thing out. For now, I just wanted to pop in here and say, "HEY!", and remind you all that YOU were Born to Explore!

For anyone who may be interested, we recently started a youtube channel to document our adventures! We just posted a video from our cross country trip which shows the sleeping platform we built for our Subaru and shows the free campsites we used in Colorado!

-Born2Explore

Welcome Born2Explore to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome Aboard Mateys!
Pirate Flag 4.jpg

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !

Attachments

• Pirate Flag 4.jpg
    Pirate Flag 4.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 13
Born2Explore said:
...my wife and I took our Subaru on a 5,200mi cross country trip to CO, AZ, UT...
...for 4 nights, we lived/camped out of our little car...

We did 2,100 miles over 4 nights to see the eclipse recently, but you two are at a whole other level!

HumbleBeginnings said:
We did 2,100 miles over 4 nights to see the eclipse recently, but you two are at a whole other level!

Nice! Were you camping out somewhere for those nights? I guess i should have clarified above... we were gone for a total of 8 days (7 nights) and 4 of those nights we slept in our car. The others we were able to stay and visit with family.

Ah, that seems a little more reasonable! We slept in the van all 4 nights. First night on a turnout near Lone Pine (eastern Sierra Nevadas), second night a cool free campground with tables and rings in northeastern CA, third night on a forest road in Malheur NF in OR. The last night we actually paid $14 for a campsite in Lee Vining (east side of Yosemite) but it was a nice place to stop on our way home. 

It really was a fantastic time in our van, and really lit under a fire under my butt to get back to work on the conversion!

Duh I remember reading your post I thanked it! Lol very very nice hermano. I look forward to your videos and I'll let you know when I start posting my own ;)

Who knows we might see each other out there one day!

Born2Explore said:
Hello from sunny Florida! 
So in March (2017) my wife and I took our Subaru on a 5,200mi cross country trip to CO, AZ, UT. It was my first time ever going further West than Dallas, TX... and it was AMAZING! We were able to find a few free campsites using resources Bob mentions frequently, and for 4 nights, we lived/camped out of our little car. On our drive back home we drove 26 hours straight with no sleep from Denver, CO back to North Florida (I do NOT recommend, it was stupid and unsafe), but we used that time to really start thinking about what we wanted to do with our lives...

Fast forward a month, and I turned down a promotion. Fast forward another month, and we sold nearly everything we had. Fast forward another month, and we moved out of a 3bdr house we were renting and moved in with a relative (not because we had to, but because we wanted to save as much as possible!). We set goals and set our minds back in March to eventually buy a vehicle to more comfortably travel in. At the time, we were not sure what we would get, and that has evolved over the last 6 months. We thought maybe a small travel trailer, or even a cargo trailer. Then we began looking at Class C RV's, then Class B's. But this weekend, we sold our 2016 Subaru and bought an Extended Chevy Hi-top van!! 

My wife and I look forward to sharing our adventures here on the forum as we continue to figure this whole thing out. For now, I just wanted to pop in here and say, "HEY!", and remind you all that YOU were Born to Explore!

For anyone who may be interested, we recently started a youtube channel to document our adventures! We just posted a video from our cross country trip which shows the sleeping platform we built for our Subaru and shows the free campsites we used in Colorado!

-Born2Explore

Just wanted to pop back in here (now that I am actually able to post links; thanks, highdesertranger) and tag the video that I mentioned above for anyone who is interested! We are working on our second video this weekend. 

Thanks!

tx2sturgis said:
Subbed over there on the tube and commented...

Living the dream!

:)

Thanks for the support/encouragement! We can't wait to get out there in the van!

Born2Explore said:
Fast forward a month, and I turned down a promotion. Fast forward another month, and we sold nearly everything we had. Fast forward another month, and we moved out of a 3bdr house we were renting and moved in with a relative (not because we had to, but because we wanted to save as much as possible!). We set goals and set our minds back in March to eventually buy a vehicle to more comfortably travel in. At the time, we were not sure what we would get, and that has evolved over the last 6 months. We thought maybe a small travel trailer, or even a cargo trailer. Then we began looking at Class C RV's, then Class B's. But this weekend, we sold our 2016 Subaru and bought an Extended Chevy Hi-top van!! !

Hey, hey! Happy Saturday! Just wanted to pop back in here and add the most recent video my wife and I made. It’s a shorter video (less than 5 minutes) where we talk more about what got us into vanlife, and what our plans are for full time traveling and life on the road starting in March 2018!
We Are Born to Explore | Our Story

Hi Troy bow wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk