The job of camp host should not be only about a place to park your RV for free

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worked in a campground for the past 4 1/2 years. I'm not a "camp host" as such, but my duties do include informing campers of the rules, writing incident reports, telling people to "PUT YOUR DOG ON A LEASH!," making sure they don't use metal detectors at our archeological sites, not playing vulgar music at full blast, keeping their clothes on, not having sex on the picnic tables in broad daylight in front of the kids at the playground (which happens more than you might think), making sure squatters don't occupy reserved campsites or vacant campsites, cleaning the bathrooms, relocating snakes, selling firewood, making change, cleaning restrooms as needed in the absence of maintenance staff, AND calling search & rescue or local law enforcement as needed. 

During my time working here, we had a real sketchy group cooking meth or some such in their very trashy campsite. (Several of them are still in prison) 

A couple that had a 3 year old child with Down Syndrome that openly neglected the poor child and allowed her to run free in the road, through other people's campsites, and on the bank of the very deep and fast river while they lolled in the sun all day swilling beer. I worried myself sick about that kid. 

We've had two destitute people just dumped here with no food, no money, and no shelter. One was a very fresh amputee and he was dumped here with a very small tent and one thin blanket on a morning when it was 20 degrees. He didn't even have any dressing on his wound. 

The other was this poor tiny little lady who had all her belongings in a trash bag and a chihuahua dog. She didn't have any food for herself, but she made sure she had food for her little dog....oh yes, it was over a 100 degrees when her "family member" dumped her here. It took us a week to get her into a shelter where she could keep her dog. 

Luckily, our local law enforcement will respond to my call from the campground within 3 minutes. They know that I don't call without good reason! Same with ambulance service, and the fire department search & rescue is practically on site so that gives me a feeling of security. 

I always tell my campers that if there is a true emergency at night to call 911, they will respond fast. We have 2 LEO's on staff and one of them is usually on site at night. However, sometimes they both have to be gone to training or meetings, etc at the same time. In that case, I call the local sheriff's department and ask them to make extra patrols because we want our campers to be safe and happy.