RV parks vs. campgrounds vs. dispersed camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
This thread may be in the wrong place. 

I’m wondering about the distinctions among these things, as well as ability to have some space. The way I understand it, RV parks are just for RV’s and campers, yes? So, they wouldn’t be for vans or cars or SUV’s. And I understand that they cram you in like sardines, so there’s no solitude.

And dispersed camping on BLM land would offer you the most solitude, I assume, with the caveat that you have to go further off road or further away from a town to get maximum privacy and solitude. Is there any sort of etiquette when dispersed camping, such as if you’re driving down a road and there’s someone camped should you make an attempt to drive a certain distance away, or if there’s a suitable spot within spitting distance of that person, is it the proper thing to do to stop and ask them if they mind if you’re that close to them. Or do people do whatever they want and not worry about it?

It’s regular campgrounds that I’m not sure about. I’m guessing that since some people have tents and some people have RV’s that the campsites would be a bit further away from each other than an RV-only place, true? And would those places allow vehicles other than campers?

And I assume that the only one of these three choices that is free (or really inexpensive like the video Bob did about staying on Native American land) would be the dispersed camping.

you can't assume too much.

some private campgrounds are just as nice as state parks for privacy....etc....just depends on the private campground and many do allow SUVs and vans easily, again you must check on the website or call them. Rvs, tents, SUVs, vans etc, it is a personal policy for each place.....so.....more touristy area you are gonna get the 'parking lot' feel of many private campgrounds most times, they pack them in for tourist areas, but ones that are 'out there' are way more better for spacing etc. Amenities etc. are great if you need them every now and then or want them.

We do state parks which each one is its own critter ya know. Many Tennessee state parks have sewer hook up and offer community pool area and others are not even close to that.....each state and each park within that state could be very different so best to again, research them.

dispersed camping, again so many options. there are forest roads on COEs and service roads/dispersed in regular old state parks so it is best to research again....you can find 'free private' camping all around out there. Or maybe the city 'boat ramp' allows overnight for free...many do just that.
Like Lake Jordan State Park near me has dispersed camping, just call up and they tell you the areas that allow it and many states do always offer some dispersed type areas....of course your vehicle/tent/van etc has to be able to access it and each park or BLM land out west will have its own sets of rules to follow. Many national parks have dispersed camping so again, there are loads of each of the campgrounds and situations out there that have their own rules, they are all never the same....research and learn is best one can do! HarvestHosts or BoondockersWelcome have free sites maybe along your traveling path? worth checking out also.

regular old private campgrounds are so varied....not a doubt about that from price to amenities to 'tight near each other spots' in more touristy areas and very very nice private spots in other cgs. Heck in Myrtle Beach the private cgs suck rocks cause they are a parking lot, come out and you are right on your neighbors sewer hose literally, but down the road in Huntington Beach State Park (for a darn 1/3 of the price almost) are the most beautiful spots in that state cg and miles of uncrowded beaches.

so research areas.....you have options. Research local cgs in an area you want, then check COEs and national/state parks and you will find what suits you when you want it.

hope some of that helps

There are all different types of places to stay just like there are all different types of people. You can find what you need pretty much somewhere if you look, make friends with locals and ask them, or travel with an experienced person or groups. If it is possible to avoid people or camp further away do so. Most RV parks will let anybody stay overnight that is willing to pay, some cater to expensive self contained RVs and have rules. Public campgrounds usually have a fee to pay for maintenance but some spaces may be restricted or be extra if they have hookups. BLM land is pretty much free for 14 days. I have found using National Parks during the day and sleeping on nearby free BLM land to work well if possible. I use an RV park that allows me what I need as a home base as it is cheaper and more convenient than paying to dump and fill tanks, dump trash, take a shower or use WiFi. Many use Long Term Visitor Areas (LTVAs) on BLM lands. Some urban camp using 24 hour restaurants and stores. If you are unsure join one of the caravans when the caravans start up again or go to Quartzsite this time of year and meet up with some on this forum maybe even join a club like Escapees.

Good information from Roamer and bullfrog!

For a few tips on dispersed camping read this - https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=23904

State park campgrounds are a good middle ground between expensive crowded private RV parks and dispersed camping.
I've not seen any that do not allow tenting unless there is a safety concern such as bears. Amenities, price, size and spacing of the campsites vary widely. Research if these differences are important to you. Some public campgrounds do not permit sleeping in your car so take a small tent to set up on your site if necessary. You can then sleep in your car because no one will check on you.

Some free campsites have amenities such as tables, trash cans, and vault toilets. Small towns in the midwest are a good place to check for these. State fishing and wildlife areas may also have free camping. Pick your favorite camping website and research a bit before heading out. Have fun!

As some of you have said already, the closer you are to the attraction......the more you will pay and the tighter packed you will be. We discovered long ago that most people who go to Yellowstone, for example, think they have to stay in the park in order to get the whole experience. So they pay and in most cases have to reserve a long time out. If you are willing to camp an hour away, it costs a lot less and you have more space. Then travel to the attraction.

My van will eventually have RV hook ups so I can stay anywhere they will take me. In some parks, you can not park the van in an RV park, but you can pay for a tent site and stay in your van. As said before, you have to do your research to see what to expect.

Great advice from you all. Thanks. I just checked out that link above...great info!

I am also interested in boondocking etiquette. I try to be out of earshot and line of sight from the next fellow camper when possible, but that’s just me. I’ll be going out to the Badlands in SD and doing dispersed camping in September in a minivan. Check out this dispersed camping road near the Badlands- Wow:

https://www.campendium.com/nomad-view

I use that site compendium (free, I made account) and freecampsites.net. I like to read campground reviews and dispersed camp reviews before choosing spots. I also usually have one or two backup ideas/locations whenever possible.