Where was the first place you went in your van/RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First place we went after picking up the van in Apache Junction (just love that name) AZ, was to drive it all the way back to the Puget Sound area in WA. Stopping at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Baker City, OR (cool Oregon Trail Museum there) and Pendleton to get a great deal on a super blanket. We weren't sleeping in the van because it wasn't fitted out yet and by the time we'd driven and driven all day, we wanted a shower and motel.

After putting in a temporary bed platform and rudimentary galley, we went to nearby Lake Crescent on Olympic Peninsula. I'm going to make some adjustments and re-engineer things, and then we'll start making things more permanent. We don't plan to live in our van, just camp and roadtrip, but for one person, I have to say that a Chevy Express has oodles of room (compared to our 89 Toyota van) and I think if a single person needs more stuff than it can carry, you've got too much stuff. Especially if you are under 5'7", because then you could sleep crossways in the back, leaving plenty of room in the main area of the van.

In my GMC Savana, I removed the lower cargo-lashing boards and put a regular 74" long twinsize foam mattress crosswise in the very back. I could put a double size foam mattress in there by cutting out divits where the vertical struts come down over the wheel wells.

Well, I'm not ft yet. Still planning my escape (target=November). For many of the same reasons you mentioned, including that 5pm cuppa joe, and star gazing at 3am.

But I did a month long trip in my SUV-rv last fall. And one of my first stops and my very first boondock was in the Badlands, Sage Creek. Driving into a beautiful sunset, waking to a more beautiful sunrise. Pretty popular spot, so you won't be lonely, with campers parked in a big circle, reminding me of covered wagon days.

Sounds like you are on your way. I've been trying to prepare and figure out the best rig, solar, etc. since that trip last fall. Finally just decided to go with the known, and starting with my SUV. Sure it would be great to have a full van set up, and at first I was thinking that I needed all that... But better to just take the leap and adapt as needed.

I have numerous weather apps that I use to determine where to migrate to next. I, too, am heat intolerant. Anything above 80 is torture. Best is 65 day, 40 night. I don't get that anywhere near 100%, and since I chase coolth, climate change is really noticeable (and kicking my butt) as I'm finding myself chasing cold fronts just to get cool. Even the high elevations in the summertime do not provide the relief they used to, only 5 years ago. I

The Dire Wolfess

Wal mart is the best shake down place due to being able to pick up whatever you forgot or thought you could do without. I was there for a night or two and then on to my camp host location. I started out camp hosting so I would have an income plus free camping. I got stuck in a three hour traffic jam on the way to the camp host spot and that almost did me in. But once I got there it was great. Camp host spot was Mount Hood Oregon.

I do not recommend camp hosting to someone who wants to wander in a big way. You are tied down to that spot and that employer for a season, so minimal travelling. I was in a good place with lots to explore on a big mountain, so all good.

I wanted the van life because S&B life was making me soft. I thought I would toughen up and I did.    ~crofter