Thanksgiving

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
I know it's a bit early to make plans but I will throw this out anyway. If anyone is in the Dallas Ft worth area and is having a bit of a rough time or just wants others to break bread with let me know. 

I am a good cook but the food will come boxed from TomThumb and ready to heat. I will even deliver it if needed. Maybe Kroger's but anyway it's free and not too bad. 

Rob

I hope you find someone to be with this thanksgiving. I accepted an invitation from my youngest nephew....I hope it will go quietly and pleasantly...

Thanks wanderer, I have company for Thanksgiving. This has been a good year money-wise and I know there are some members who have at times struggled. They are welcome to join me (us) or I will get one of those Thanksgiving day meals in a box from the grocery deli and deliver it. I got one last year and it was good. Not enough dressing and gravy tho.

Very kind of you Rob. I hope you and yours have much to be thankful for.

I'm not in the area and don't know anyone who is, but this is an awesome idea. Thanks for doing it, and I hope you find someone who needs it.

Thanks, I have the Vet Center I go to looking too, time to pay a bit back.

very generous of you, Gunny, I hide away on turkey day, myself, I'm too worn out from the ridiculous amount of business in my store

My Dad died very early in the morning of Thanksgiving 1986. It's a day for me to remember Dad and hug my Grandkids. I was at the Consulate Office in St Petersburg Russia and didn't know until late that night. I think of all the things I have missed in life I miss that one the most.

SO every Thanksgiving I try and give a little to someone who may need it, a traveler,, Vet in transitional housing ( the VA has made that near impossible) or some small way to remember Pop.

Rob

Just a side note, Mom was in the kitchen putting the meal together and Dad called her to the bedroom. He said "Honey, I'm leaving" and fell out of bed ...Dead.

Gunny
Can't imagine going through that.
Sorry you had it to share..........

Thanks for making the turkey day offer , hope you get some takers.
I agree with your reason for doing it.
You set a fine example to everyone.

Happy birthday to you and the corps.

Thanks for your service !

Gunny said:
My Dad died very early in the morning of Thanksgiving 1986. It's a day for me to remember Dad and hug my Grandkids. I was at the Consulate Office in St Petersburg Russia and didn't know until late that night. I think of all the things I have missed in life I miss that one the most.

SO every Thanksgiving I try and give a little to someone who may need it, a traveler,, Vet in transitional housing ( the VA has made that near impossible) or some small way to remember Pop.

Rob

Just a side note, Mom was in the kitchen putting the meal together and Dad called her to the bedroom.  He said "Honey, I'm leaving" and fell out of bed ...Dead.

wtg fella, turn your hurt into help and you end up helping yourself as much if not more. Obviously to have had such a Father who raised such a son is notable.

The offer is still open, I have one vet living in his car who is coming, two of my kids and the family living next door to me. Food will be buffet style, I have seating for 4 if you include the seat on my mobility scooter, but the folks next door will grab a plate and go home. I hope.

I have ordered two turkey meals in a box from Tom Thumb Deli, so if anyone is in the dfw area or passing thru stop and break bread or just visit.

I am trying to get the vet to come to rtr, he has an older ford PU with a topper and it's jammed with his belongings, he seems to be sort of at a loss as to what to do.

PM me if near by and I will give you my number and directions. Rob

Great post Gunny. Big heart. Hope to meet you this year
Dave

I'd come but stuck in South Florida still... no one thinks about me on Thanksgiving (not the way they were raised btw)... how kind of you to do this!

I try to go volunteer at the local Miami Rescue Mission who serves thousands this day... but alas I am usually too infirmed to get there. Glad you can follow through.

And yes, thank you for your service to this great nation! HUA!

Dr Jean, we'll mention you at our little gathering. Thanks o3 Dave, I'll be hiding out there somewhere. Old white haired guy riding an atv. Say hello.

Gunny said:
I know it's a bit early to make plans but I will throw this out anyway. If anyone is in the Dallas Ft worth area and is having a bit of a rough time or just wants others to break bread with let me know. 

I am a good cook but the food will come boxed from TomThumb and ready to heat. I will even deliver it if needed. Maybe Kroger's but anyway it's free and not too bad. 

Rob

:heart:   What a great idea, we all should try harder to be kinder to those others who are in a lower place in their life than us.
Thanks Rob, we are in WV, but it sure was   a great offer.
We all should "pay it forward" in all of our lives.
So sorry to read about your dad, but like most of the people here, you have turned it into a positive, instead of  a negative.
Sort of puts our lives into a different perspective, at least for me.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your guests!!!!

My company gives me a free bird every holiday season
I used to give it to my ex and her new husband, and they would cook it and others who weren't so well off all showed up with sides
This year I continue that tradition, as it lets a lot of loners have Thanksgiving with friends, if not family
Costs me nothing, and i get some of the turkey after it's cooked; win

It's nice to have company on days like Thanksgiving, sort of a special day. I'll buy a few pies (If anyone likes Sweet Potato Pie buy one of the Patti Labell Pies from Walmart) and think of a few sides. Nothing like the spread my Mom put together tho. I hope you and everyone else has a good Thanksgiving.

Rob

Hey,  it's just a thought I'll offer here.  You don't have to be totally alone if you don't want to.

In my second link at the bottom in my Signature lines....I've placed a link in the upper left of the site to a Chat room called "CHATZY"....where group chats can be held. 

Why not a Thanksgiving day Chat all day?   People can come and go but it could be like an open house where ever you are.....just join in.  

You can create a free "virtual room" and learn to use it so come Thanksgiving those who want to be online together can do so.

https://www.chatzy.com/

Register and check the FAQ's so you can be ready to use it in the future.