Thanks Bob for a non-stealth camping topic

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boonie

Reaction score
I hope this new topic is useful for others as well as for me. For those of us who <strong>don't care about stealth boondocking in cities</strong>, and who are interested in public lands camping, it is sometimes hard to get much from posts that assume stealthiness.<br /><br />For instance I'm interested in selecting a new cargo van and a smaller travel trailer than I currently have. I'll probably end up converting a cargo trailer. But when I read the posts about stealth this and stealth that, I just don't profit from the reading because the stealth stuff dominates the issues I really care about.

I absolutely look forward to this. I myself am not really interested in stealth camping either. My plan is to get a van and small cargo trailer as well to go out into the wild for my photography. About the only city camping I would do is if I needed to stop off at a Walmart or something similar for one nights worth of sleep to get back on the road to my destination the next day. All my life I have lived out in the country and wouldnt feel too comfy about sleeping over night in the city.

Great idea Boonie...hope it goes....<br /><br />I am pretty much with you....I almost never stay in a city when in the van...in fact with me when I do it, it is expressly to go camping and traveling.... frankly I would hate to have to stay in a van in the city...<br /><br />Bri

I'm figuring on mostly public lands camping and stealth in towns doesn't interest me much.&nbsp; I don't mind some measure of stealthiness on public land for stashing tools for prospecting, a solar shower, outdoor john, whatever, say I might leave to go to town for groceries.<br /><br />I've thought some about filing a mineral claim or three to establish the right to build a permanent tool shed for keeping such things in, which I suppose might be considered stealthy.

Are you the infamous Boonie I've been reading about in other full timers blogs? Regardless of whether you are or not ... Welcome to the board sir and looking forward to getting to know you better!<br /><br />

here in southern california, at the beach alot of people are living on the streets in rv's, van's, car's,an then you have the homeless living on the sidewalk's no one seam to be go to jail!!. in these time's i think stealth is really not needed.but when i"m camping i like to use shade cloth to cover my rig.it camouflage me from the sun, wind, rain,an people.i saw people use it&nbsp;at this year's rtr meet.you should see&nbsp; alot of the locals use it again this year.it kind of pricey.gary&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

I've mostly done my camping in the woods, ( state parks, national forests and trailheads) but have stayed quite a few nights in citys too. I drive a green bus- zero stealth. The common sense stuff applies to both situations, ( be aware, don't trash the place, be considerate, etc) but since I grew up rural, that's what I prefer. Though it was kinda neat to park under a streetlight with my solar panels giving me enough power to run my tv for hours without touching my battery reserves- not remotely possible in the woods!

I am interested in that "shade cloth". How big of one do you use?